Fahrenheit 451 Fahrenheit 451 discussion

Ray Bradbury, dead at 91

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Logan One of the most widely read authors of his generation, Bradbury published a string of titles in the early 1950s – The Martian Chronicles, The Illustrated Man and Fahrenheit 451 – that captured the political fears of a generation and fueled renewed interest in futurist literature.

His most famous work, Fahrenheit 451, named for a proposed temperature at which books combust, imagines a golden age of war and ignorance in which firefighters burn books instead of putting out fires. Ever since its publication in 1953, the book has been a mainstay of high school English syllabuses.

Kendra In memory of him, I am going to read his books for the rest of this year.

Diana Rip Ray you were a amazing author

☯Emily  Ginder Finished reading my first Bradbury book on Monday. It was Fahrenheit 451, which I enjoyed. It is a shock that he dies a day later.

Alice I was so sad to hear of his death. RIP Ray, you will not be forgotten.

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Gimpel He was a wonderfully prolific writer, with a fresh slant on things. Hard SF has pretty much fallen out of favor in the past few years. Probably because it's much harder to write than fantasy or paranormal. Nonetheless, I like SF, am always looking for new authors. The world will be a smaller place without Ray Bradbury in it.

message 7: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. I own a copy of the illustrated man that I have never finished,perhaps I will soon.

message 8: by Patrick (last edited Jun 06, 2012 07:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Patrick Belair Ray Bradbury, R.I.P. Thank you for the wonderful work.

M.R. Jenks Ray Bradbury's passing leaves a monumental gap in the world of literature. He was (and is) one of the greatest influences on my life both as a reader and as a writer. Something Wicked This Way Comes is, to me, one of the greatest works of literature ever written and was a strong influence on me becoming a writer. A toast to Ray and all the other great writers - Hemingway, Joyce, Christie, Asimov, Tolkein etc. - they're probably all talking shop right now somewhere in the Great Beyond.

Nasrul I discovered the works of Ray Bradbury this year. I stumbled upon his classic, 'Fahrenheit 451'. I'm glad I've read him once and realized the brilliance of his works. I will also dedicate the year to reading his entire collection of works. Rest in peace, Ray.

message 11: by Chris (last edited Jun 07, 2012 11:32AM) (new)

Chris Holme My first great reading experience was with a short story in about 4th or 5th grade. I disapeared into the imagery, I was taken somewhere else. I lost track of time. When the story ended, I looked around and said "wow, what just happened?" I paid no attention to who wrote it, but when I went home from school that day I had to talk about it to anyone who would listen. I ran into that story again about 8 years later apparently it was a chapter lifted from a book i was reading at the time, Dandelion Wine. Ray Bradbury showed me what could be done through honest art and creativity. He once said he wanted to be buried on Mars, in a Campbells soup can in an area to be named "Bradburys Abyss". Sound a little far fetched? Bradburys writings make it sound feasible. He was a vast proponent of further space exploration and really a fantastic american icon. Would it hurt to maybe stuff a copy of "The Martian Chronicles" into a Campbells soup can and send it on our next expedition to Mars? Really a fitting tribute.

☯Emily  Ginder There are many pages for Bradbury created within different groups in Goodreads. You can create your own tribute page if this one isn't sufficient.

Massimo Visigalli Goodbye Ray..

message 14: by Chris (last edited Jun 07, 2012 11:38AM) (new)

Chris Holme Emily wrote: "There are many pages for Bradbury created within different groups in Goodreads. You can create your own tribute page if this one isn't sufficient."

You are right. Sorry. Bad post on my part. I changed it.

Donna My love of reading started in high school with Bradbury's stories, a very long time ago. He's the reason I still love sci-fi so much. RIP.

Valerie Kendra wrote: "In memory of him, I am going to read his books for the rest of this year."

I am as well.