Jane Austen Fans discussion

Novels > Northanger Abbey

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 25 comments Okay. I've never read this book or seen the movie which my parents said was nasty. I'm not even sure what the plot is about. Can anyone tell me? And is it any good?

message 2: by Emily, most comments. :) :) :) (new)

Emily | 227 comments Mod
I liked it a lot! The book I mean. I haven't seen the movie either.
Basically, it is a satire of dark, gothic novels. It's about a naive young woman named Catherine who's just being introduced into society. She has a bit of an overactive imagination, fed by previously mentioned gothic novels. Anyway, she meets this nice brother and sister who invite her to stay with them at their home, Northanger Abbey. It turns out to be a little creepy. In no time, she's imagining dark secrets, murdered wives, you name it. The proverbial skeletons in every closet. :) It turns out okay in the end, though. It IS a Jane Austen book, after all.
But yeah, it's a great book. It's shorter than a lot of the others.
Catherine is hilarious, and you just can't help but love Henry and Eleanor, the brother and sister.

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 25 comments Thanks! I'll see if I can find it. It sounds funny!

message 4: by Mara (new)

Mara (maraanne) "Northanger Abbey" is wonderful. I don't know which movie version you two are talking about, but I saw BBC's recent production of it and I really liked it. They had the perfect cast.

message 5: by Nouran (new)

Nouran Gamal (therealnou) i loved this book, it's so different from all the other austen books and a fun, light one... the movie version that i saw was this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844794/
and i loved it, just try to read the book first, it's more fun when you're watching and remembering all the details that you just read

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 25 comments @Mara: I actually think that the BBC version was the one that my mom saw and said that it was a little bit racy or something. I can't remember.

@Nouran: Okay. Like I said, I'll see if I can find it. I think I agree with you about reading the book before you watch the movie.

Oh, I forgot I wanted to ask who the love interest was?

message 7: by Mara (new)

Mara (maraanne) It is a bit racy, but only in the fact that Catherine reads some "questionable" Edwardian novels, and it a few racy things are implied with another character, but nothing is shown.

The love interest is Mr. Tilney (I spelled that wrong, didn't I?) - a gentleman's son. And he's a wonderful character.

message 8: by Emily, most comments. :) :) :) (new)

Emily | 227 comments Mod
I think you spelled it right... Anyway, that's Mr. Henry Tilney, the Henry I mentioned above.

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 25 comments Okay that's what I figured, but wanted to make sure.

message 10: by Mara (new)

Mara (maraanne) I always forget his first name. . .I love Henry's sister; she's awesome.