Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban discussion

Crookshanks

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kressel Housman Hey, all you future law students. I just discovered that Cruikshanks is the name of one of the most notorious court cases in U.S. Supreme Court history. That Cruikshanks was a Klansman who literally got away with murder when the Court reversed his conviction. Disgusting! But I wonder if JKR knew that when she named Hermione's cat. He's a good cat, so I doubt it.

Laura Very interesting! Yeah, I doubt that was the reference, but still very interesting!

Simplyminali wow! i didn't know that. i don't think jk rowling probably heard it once somewhere and it stuck with her because its such a cool name. i don't think she did consciencly knowing the meaning of it

Priyanka that is so cool, thanks for sharing :)

-harry potter nerd -

Kressel Housman Simplyminali wrote: "wow! i didn't know that. i don't think jk rowling probably heard it once somewhere and it stuck with her because its such a cool name. i don't think she did consciencly knowing the meaning of it"

For all we know, it's the name of someone in English or Scottish history, too. One thing about JKR, she does her research.

Shubham Thanks for the info.

Mary Anne Crookshanks is described as bandy-legged. That means bow-legged. That means crooked shanks or legs.

Django Oooh, I love Crookshanks! I used to have a at that fit the description of Crookshanks, but she was fatter, and female. I loved that cat. Then we think she was stolen by the hair salon across the street from us.

Kressel Housman Mary Anne wrote: "Crookshanks is described as bandy-legged. That means bow-legged. That means crooked shanks or legs."

Makes a lot more sense.

Olivia Mary Anne wrote: "Crookshanks is described as bandy-legged. That means bow-legged. That means crooked shanks or legs."

That is really cool:) Thanks for sharing!

Gabrielle I call my stuffed tabby cat Crookshanks :)
i think that is cool but coincidental. Not everything is connected purposely, you know :)

Farheen Feven wrote: "Wow! Intresting (though disturbing) fact. I can't remember what the other half of Crookshanks was, but he's only half cat.(hence "Crookshanks") And since Rowling is from the UK, and the case US she..."

yeah...that could be....