Fahrenheit 451 Fahrenheit 451 discussion

Sci-fi legend Ray Bradbury dies

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Lima Sad news. His "Fahrenheit 451" was an amazing book.

Michelle That is so sad. I had only read Fahrenheit 451, and it really was a good book.

Michael Mcdaid Sad to hear his passing. Loved Something Wicked This Way Comes, Fahrenheit 451, and Martian Chronicles.May have to read more of his books soon.

☯Emily  Ginder On Monday, I completed reading Fahrenheit 451. It is the first book I have read written by Bradbury. The next day, he dies. Is that an omen?

Phil Rice Read Fahrenheit 451 last summer and really enjoyed it. Sad day.

Olivia He will be missed. Fahrenheit 451 was a work of genius.

message 7: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki Kocmut I read Fahrenheit 451 in Enriched English in High School (so over 20 years ago now) and it still haunts me (in a good way). GREAT BOOK. GREAT WRITER. GREATLY MISSED.

Matthew Although its sad, at least he lived a long life, and left us many remarkable works to remember him by.

Scott A Social Commentator, Sci-fi visionary, and all around fanastic writer leaves us behind this week. I envied his style and courage, both given to him in greater measure than most men deserve, and even fewer possess.

Aaditya Mandalemula Ray Bradbury is a very good Sci-fi writer. His 'Farenheit 451' is a good book. Rest in Peace Ray Bradbury!

Harpal Singh He was one of my favourite authors. RIP

Majeed RIP and thank you for Fahrenheit 451.

message 13: by Dare (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dare Johnson Ray Bradbury, Live Forever!

message 14: by J.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.D. Goff Not just Fahrenheit, Bradbury remains one of the most imaginative writers in history. His ability to take what is normal and turn just ten degrees off normal so that it remained recognizable but became surreal was pure genius. If all you've read is Fahrenheit 451, there are volumes more you need to read. His books change the way you look at the world, and stay with you long after the last page is turned.

message 15: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken I thought that Ray Bradbury's passing was a shame. I think that he was one the greatest writers ever. Where he lived when he was young (Waukegan, Il) has a plaque dedicated to him. Or course I might be somewhat biased since I lived in Waukegan for many years and knew where many of the places he mentioned in the book dandelion wine.

message 16: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff French I thought Bradbury was an especially good short story writer. I was always amazed at the variety of emotions he was able to evoke with such short works.

message 17: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Jeff wrote: "I thought Bradbury was an especially good short story writer. I was always amazed at the variety of emotions he was able to evoke with such short works."

I agree

message 18: by Dare (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dare Johnson Ken wrote: "I thought that Ray Bradbury's passing was a shame. I think that he was one the greatest writers ever. Where he lived when he was young (Waukegan, Il) has a plaque dedicated to him. Or course I migh..."

This is awesome! DW is one of my favourite books. Which places actually exist in real-life "Green Town"? There must be a walking tour or something.

message 19: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken As far as I know there are no tours. I know where the church is that he mentioned and the house where he live. He talked about walking down Washington street and then having to down the ravine and back up the other side and then to home. The ravine was still there when I was young. But by thee time I got out of the army they have made Washington street go over the ravine. I vaguely remember something about the murder of the woman that was found in the ravine. My dad used to work at Western Union on water street not far away. As a matter of fact water street has also been extended over the ravine also.
There was 4 theaters at one time and don't know if any where mentioned, but just in case one of them was the times and then the realto, academy and the genesee.

message 20: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Dare wrote: "Ken wrote: "I thought that Ray Bradbury's passing was a shame. I think that he was one the greatest writers ever. Where he lived when he was young (Waukegan, Il) has a plaque dedicated to him. Or c..."

Have you read the sequal to DW? I have it but haven't gotten around to reading it.

message 21: by Dare (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dare Johnson Ken wrote: "Dare wrote: "Ken wrote: "I thought that Ray Bradbury's passing was a shame. I think that he was one the greatest writers ever. Where he lived when he was young (Waukegan, Il) has a plaque dedicated..."

Ken wrote: "Dare wrote: "Ken wrote: "I thought that Ray Bradbury's passing was a shame. I think that he was one the greatest writers ever. Where he lived when he was young (Waukegan, Il) has a plaque dedicated..."

So there was actually a "Lonely One"? How cool ... and creepy.

Yes, I read "Farewell Summer" a few years ago. I was disappointed because my expectations were so high. Guess I should read it again and see if I like it better now.

message 22: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Dare wrote: "Ken wrote: "Dare wrote: "Ken wrote: "I thought that Ray Bradbury's passing was a shame. I think that he was one the greatest writers ever. Where he lived when he was young (Waukegan, Il) has a plaq..."
maybe you should read it again. Of course since I haven't read it I really can't say a whole lot.

And actually I Washington street was put through when I was a kid. We used to down into the ravine and cross under it through the very large sewer pipe. We could from one end to the other of course when then was rain it was impassable.

message 23: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Ken wrote: "Dare wrote: "Ken wrote: "Dare wrote: "Ken wrote: "I thought that Ray Bradbury's passing was a shame. I think that he was one the greatest writers ever. Where he lived when he was young (Waukegan, I..."

I need to improve my spelling.

message 24: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Does anyone remember The Ray Bradbury Theater that was on TV for awhile?

In case no one knows he wrote about Green Town which are stories based on Waukegan. Something wicked this way comes was a book and a movie also based on Waukegan.

Joanne Nice that part of Mars was just named after him.

message 26: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Joanne wrote: "Nice that part of Mars was just named after him."

I hadn't heard that until now. I think its nice also that part of Mars was named after him.

Susan One of my favorite SF writers, along with Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein. RIP all of them!

message 28: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Susan wrote: "One of my favorite SF writers, along with Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein. RIP all of them!"

RIP to them. I have books from all of them and will never forget.