Urban Fantasy series' discussion

UF Series > 5 Star Rated Urban Fantasy Series?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jordy (new)

Jordy (jordycrazyromanceaddict) I'm very curious to know which popular Urban Fantasy Series do believe deserves a 5 star rating???

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan B (musicmeg83) For me it's the Hollow series by Kim Harrison (starts with Dead Witch Walking). There are very few books I will read again and these are at the top of that short list. I think everyone will have a different opinion, though. It depends on what world/ story series you can best imagine yourself a part of in your mind and what best lead characters you can relate to. For example, another top series for me is the Mercedes Thompson series. Same author, the Alpha and Omega series just didn't do the same for me (though I did enjoy reading them). Just enjoy Mercy more.

message 3: by ☀Rachael☀ (new)

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) My list for 5* is;
Mercy Thompson
Kate Daniels
October Daye
some of Sookie Stackhouse
Allie Beckstorm
and the Night Tracker series
I'm sure I'll add more!

message 4: by K. (new)

K. | 96 comments Fever series and Kate Daniels. I can re-read those every year.

message 5: by Ela (last edited Jun 11, 2012 09:30AM) (new)

Ela Mercy Thompson. Without a doubt my favourite UF series, read them contiuously for a couple of months.

Dragonflydreamer68 | 10 comments Scotia wrote: "I would say the Mercy Thompson Series and the Fever Series"

i agree these two are the best ones i've read so far,lol

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (shazfly) | 11 comments The top of my "To read again" list is Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series. Keri Arthur's Riley Jensen and Penumbra series are also very re-readable!

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (shazfly) | 11 comments Scotia wrote: "Sharon wrote: "The top of my "To read again" list is Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series. Keri Arthur's Riley Jensen and Penumbra series are also very re-readable!"

The Night Huntress series i..."

Scotia you won't be disappointed if you like classic UF! I must look at Kate Daniels, I don't think I've read any of hers yet, and a reviewer mentioned her as a similar author to me, so I must buy a couple of hers.

message 9: by JP (new)

JP Reads (jpfantasyreads) | 803 comments Mod
Sharon wrote: "Scotia wrote: "Sharon wrote: "The top of my "To read again" list is Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series. Keri Arthur's Riley Jensen and Penumbra series are also very re-readable!"

The Night Hu..."

I loved the Kate Daniels series!!!

message 10: by Kat (new)

Kat Klein | 151 comments Kelly Armstrong's Women of Otherworld. Also Darkest Powers and Darkness Rising. Jeanine Frost's Night Huntress. Karen Marie Moning's Fever. Can't wait for the Fever World. Kate Daniel's Magic series.

There are probably others, but those I can re-read multiple times. In fact I re-read the entire series when a new book comes out :D

message 11: by ☀Rachael☀ (new)

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) I can't believe I forgot Night huntress!,

message 12: by Nicky (new)

Nicky | 68 comments Nightside by Simon R. Green, Downside Ghosts, Meredith Gentry series (haven't seen them mentioned & are consistently great) also Dresden files-I've re-read ++ times

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex First 9 or 10 Anita Blake books by Laurell K. Hamilton

Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews

Jane Yellowrock - skinwalker by Faith Hunter

Jill Kismet and Dante Valentine by Lilith Saintcrow

Downside by Stacia Kane

message 14: by Tala (new)

Tala   (tala2) Wow, love most of the series listed above. I really liked the Crimson Moon series by L.A. Banks, the first book is Bad Blood.

message 15: by Allison (new)

Allison | 5 comments Chicagoland Vampire
Kate Daniels
Georgina Kincaid
Night Huntress

message 16: by Allison (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) I want to read so many of these, but have to wait for the series to end. I can't take the waiting! The fever series just about killed me when I realized I had to wait for the last book.

message 17: by K. (new)

K. | 96 comments Only a few more days til Gunmetal Magic! I would pay extra to get certain books a few days earlier than their release!

Jean ~ Kindle Queen (jkat9) | 34 comments Kimberly wrote: "Only a few more days til Gunmetal Magic! I would pay extra to get certain books a few days earlier than their release!"

It would be definitely worth it for Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5) by Ilona Andrews . I've been in withdrawal since reading Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4) by Ilona Andrews . : )

message 19: by JP (new)

JP Reads (jpfantasyreads) | 803 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "Only a few more days til Gunmetal Magic! I would pay extra to get certain books a few days earlier than their release!"

I can't wait either!!!!!

message 20: by Juli (new)

Juli (juli_d_revezzo) I'm partial to Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews and The Hollows series by Kim Harrison. It's been a few years since I read this one, but Tanya Huff's Blood Price is good too. :)

message 21: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright Kimberly wrote: "Fever series and Kate Daniels. I can re-read those every year."

I completly agree. Those two series come to mine!

message 22: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Fables | 7 comments For me, the shortlist would be:

Downside Ghosts (very gritty world building)
Jane Yellow Rock
Kate Daniels
The Hollows
Chronicles of Elantra

Belizean Babygirl (belizeanbabygirl) | 2 comments The Fever Series
The Vampire Huntress Legend
Dragon Kin
The Black Dagger Brotherhood
Mercy Thompson

message 24: by Ellese (new)

Ellese (faithfulumbrella) | 22 comments Mercy Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs
Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter
Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews
Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn
Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep
Alex Craft series by Kalayna Price
The Walker Papers series by C.E. Murphy
Greywalker series by Kat Richardson
The Dark Days series by Jocelynn Drake
Riley Jensen series by Keri Arthur, and one more that isn't exactly my favorite but is pretty good is a series written by Jeanne C. Stein. Oh and Lilith Saintcrow. If you are looking for a funny/serious urban fantasy/paranormal series' look up Katie MacAlister.
Oh and Karen Chance is awesome too.

I will also say that I loved the first like 9 books by Laurell K. Hamilton, they were awesome until she slept with everything that...well you know. I would also say I liked Kim Harrison for a while until I had to wait too long in between books and got kind of tired of the homosexual tendencies she liked to write into the story.

Wow...that was a lot. Oh well, enjoy!! :D

message 25: by Nataliya (new)

Nataliya Fever series would be on top for me

Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆ | 107 comments My current favorite series are:

The Disillusionists
Kara Gillian
Guild Hunter
Psy-Changling
Downside Ghosts
Fever
Mercy Thompson
Elemental Assassin
Elder Races

message 27: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kam525) | 6 comments The Fever Series hands down!!!!!

message 28: by melody (new)

melody (shimmers) | 6 comments fever series
lux series
bloodlines
vampire academy
covenent series

these are my top five

message 29: by Kat (new)

Kat Klein | 151 comments Yeah, just discovered Downside Ghosts and have to add that to the 5 star series.

message 30: by Karen (last edited Nov 03, 2012 09:08PM) (new)

Karen Hodurek | 7 comments Love The Hollows and Mercy Thompson

message 31: by Erin (new)

Erin Brown helt | 1 comments Jordy...aka....LuvPnrUfCrazyAddict wrote: "I'm very curious to know which popular Urban Fantasy Series do believe deserves a 5 star rating???"

Black Dagger Brotherhood
The Hollows
Kate Beckstrom

Those three, I can always go back to :)

message 32: by Vira (new)

Vira Krykus (giraffee) Erin,

What is the name of the series with Kate Becksrtom? Never heard of it before and am curious :)

message 33: by Estelle (E) (new)

Estelle (E) (vivelafantasy) My top list:

1) Fever - Downside Ghosts
2) Guild Hunter - Night Huntress - Mercy Thompson
3) Vampires in America - Kate Daniels
4) Cockwork Angel - Angelfall (so far)

message 34: by Anna (new)

Anna Karen Chance: Cassie Palmer and Dory series. Fury's Kiss is an out and out 5 star.
Patricia Briggs: Mercy Thompson
Ilona Andrews: Kate Daniels - from book 3 and Andrea spin off

1st 9 or 10 books of Anita Blake - L Hamilton 4.5 there's always something in her books that bugs me

message 35: by Umar (new)

Umar Soaries (umarhsoaries) | 11 comments This is what I follow in series: Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, The Hollows by Kim Harrison, Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey, Black Sun's Daughter by M.L.N. Hanover, Elemental Assassin by Jennifer Estep, Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. Looking for something new. Tried first book of Urban Shaman by C.E. Murphy, still letting it setting in my mind.

Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆ | 107 comments Dafixer's wrote: "Tried first book of Urban Shaman by C.E. Murphy, still letting it setting in my mind. "

Yeah, I'm still trying to get into that one too.

Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆ | 107 comments Anna wrote: "1st 9 or 10 books of Anita Blake - L Hamilton 4.5 there's always something in her books that bugs me "

Yup. There's always something that makes people want to throw things. LOL! XD I loved Anita until she became a sex kitten. I was so ANGRY!

message 38: by Anna (new)

Anna Agreed!

message 39: by Mhari (new)

Mhari | 8 comments I agree about poor Anita Blake, she used to be so kick-ass, the series just annoys me now, I haven't given up yet though, I keep hoping it gets better! Not holding my breath though!

message 40: by Anna (last edited Jan 26, 2013 02:26PM) (new)

Anna Mhari wrote: "I agree about poor Anita Blake, she used to be so kick-ass, the series just annoys me now, I haven't given up yet though, I keep hoping it gets better! Not holding my breath though!"

Which book are you on Mhari?

message 41: by Mhari (new)

Mhari | 8 comments Waiting for the new one to come out Anna, I know, glutton for punishment huh? Ever the optimist!

message 42: by Audrey Jane (new)

Audrey Jane | 29 comments I agree on Anita Blake. I just finished reading Danse macabre and it was quite painful. The story covers 2-3 days! In my opinion there wasn't a real coherent plotline. Strangely I would only give a 5 star to Obsidian butterfly since that was my favourite book.
But despite all that I can't stop reading the Anita Blake series, it's kinda of addictive. I agree with Mahri, hoping it will/must get better.
Without hesitation I would give a 5 star to Mercy Thompson series and Alpha & Omega (but I rather like to read Mercy's than Anna's adventures).

message 43: by K. (new)

K. | 96 comments Alisi wrote: "Anna wrote: "1st 9 or 10 books of Anita Blake - L Hamilton 4.5 there's always something in her books that bugs me "

Yup. There's always something that makes people want to throw things. LOL! XD I ..."

I completely agree!! Why couldn't she stay kick ass without becoming a sex kitten???? I'm going to be very upset if she has sex with Olaf.

message 44: by Mhari (new)

Mhari | 8 comments I'm sure sex with Olaf will appear at some point, just the kind of disappointment I'm expecting from the next book!

message 45: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (char_lene) | 3 comments Eww,just eww! Hoping Olaf dies in a horrible way in Affliction. Anybody read Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series? Love Kitty!!

message 46: by Karen (new)

Karen I love Kitty too! Sadly it's been a few books and I'm still not completely sold on Ben.. It's not that I don't like him, I just don't love them together.

message 47: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (char_lene) | 3 comments I hope Cormac gets a love interest. I feel so bad for him. I think he and Kitty would have been good together.

message 48: by Mhari (new)

Mhari | 8 comments Love kitty too! Def a 5 star series!

message 49: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 9 comments Dafixer's wrote: "This is what I follow in series: Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, The Hollows by Kim Harrison, Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey, Black Sun's Daughter by M.L.N. Hanover, Elemental Assassin by Jennifer ..."

There were already lots of good suggestions, but I don't think these were mentioned, and they are very good also
The Nymphos of Rocky Flats Midnight Riot The Devil Inside Child of Fire The Last Werewolf Already Dead Anno Dracula book:Once Bitten, Twice Shy|937122] Mark of the Demon ][[book:Kitty and the Midnight Hour|14461]

and a very new book that I expect will start a series and was fabulous [book:The Rook|10836728

message 50: by Tasula (new)

Tasula | 9 comments Sorry about the links, I can't seem to get them right- The Rook is by Daniel O'Malley,
Once Bitten Twice Shy is by Jennifer Rardin
Kitty and the Midnight Hour is by Carrie Vaughn

Hope you find something that appeals to you

« previous 1