Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Which PNR / UF Series deserves a 5 star rating??

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jordy (new)

Jordy (jordycrazyromanceaddict) Which Paranormal Romance / Urban Fantasy Series deserves a 5 star rating?? I'm desperately curious what the general census would be!! For instance, I know that many would consider Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost...so how about you????

Jessica *The Lovely Books* (jessybabe) | 30 comments The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare. Amazing books!
I haven't read Night Huntress yet though.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments That is kind of hard to answer really, I very rarely (if I ever have) given ever book in a series 5 stars or even all of them 4 or 5 stars. It seems like there is always a book somewhere that ends up a 3 star.

But overall I agree with The Infernal Devices, Night Huntress Series and would add The Chicagoland Vampires, Kate Daniels, Mercy Thompson and In Death Series to the list.

They aren't all 5 star ratings (each book) but overall the series are fantastic and some of my very favorites that I will always buy.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Kate Daniels and Mercy Thompson, IMO, are 5-star series. Night Huntress would be except the last two books weren't great and negatively affected my opinion of the series. Shelly Laurenston is a 5-star writer too. I absorb everything she writes.

message 5: by Kelleigh (new)

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) The Fever series by Karen Marie Moning deserves a HUGE 5 star rating. Hands down, the best series ever!

Love me some barrons! ;)

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) That's really hard because, most of the time, each book in a series will have a different star-rating imho. For example, I loved the first Mercy Thompson book, but I wasn't so keen on #3. The same thing with Sookie Stackhouse.

Maybe I would go with Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor since I *loved* that book and haven't read the second one in the series yet, lol.

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Well, it's hard, because as others have said, not every book in a series holds up as well as others.

That said as an OVERALL series, I'd give these five stars:

Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews
Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs
Markhat Series by Frank Tuttle
Dog Days series by John Levitt

There's even more of them I'd list as 4 stars -- mostly because one book or other in the series just really didn't hold up for me, but that doesn't mean the series isn't worth reading!!!

message 8: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (mashbay) For me, Fever (Moning) and Kate Daniels (Andrews). Both already mentioned, I know.

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 449 comments I don't think there's any series where I'd give every book a five star rating. The series that come closest for me would be Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, The Walker Papers by C.E. Murphy and The Chicagoland Vampire series.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle0613) | 9 comments My favorites are Mercy Thompson, Alpha and Omega, Kate Daniels, The Edge, and Chicagoland Vampires.

message 11: by Joseph (last edited Jun 23, 2012 04:04PM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments It is hard to give every book in a series 5 stars. The ones that come awfully close though for me are (in no particular order):
Mercedes Thompson
Kitty Norville
Delilah Street, Paranormal Investigator
Chicagoland Vampires
Paranormal Scene Investigations
Rachel Morgan
Jane Yellowrock
Night Huntress
The Walker Papers
Esther Diamond
Sisters of the Moon
October Daye
Jane Jameson
Women of the Otherworld

Tina "IRead2Escape" (tinar1121) | 40 comments I very rarely give a 5 star rating. I would say hands down the Night Huntress series by Jeanniene Frost and The Fever series by Karen Marie Moning.

I would give a strong 4.5 to the Mercedes Thompson series and quite possibly the Walker Paper Series by CE Murphy.

message 13: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Jun 23, 2012 05:43PM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 407 comments This is so strange because after just finishing the last psy-changling book by Nalini Singh i was thinking what a five star read the entire series is and I was actually thinking about this question! My list:

Psy changlings by Nalini Singh
Succubus series by Richelle Mead
Fever series by Karen M Moning
Black dagger brotherhood J R Ward

Close to a five stars.... Night Huntress by J Frost
Vampire Academy R Mead

Tina "IRead2Escape" (tinar1121) | 40 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "This is so strange because after just finishing the last psy-changling book by Nalini Singh i was thinking what a five star read the entire series is and I was actually thinking about this question..."

Good list, Lisa! All are excellent series books.

message 15: by Erica (new)

Erica (ssserica) | 15 comments I would go with:
Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning fever series
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare mortal instruments
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison Rachel Morgan
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward black dagger
Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong women of the other world
I have not read some of the others mentioned here but these are my votes

message 16: by Vanessa (last edited Jun 23, 2012 07:30PM) (new)

Vanessa (vanessacoutu) | 4 comments Hi all I would have to give a 5* rating to:
Night Huntress,by Frost
Mercy Thompson, and Alpha and Omega by Briggs
Elemental Mysteries by Elizabeth Hunter
Jane Yellowrock by Faith Hunter
Kate Daniels and The Edge series by Andrews
Midnight Breeds by Lara Adrian
The Nightwalkers by Frank
Dragonkin by Aiken
The Hollows by Harrison
for fun reads-
The Pack and Pride books by Laurenston
The Deadwood series by Charles
honorable mentions-
Immortals after Dark by Cole
The Lords of Deliverance by Ione
The Belador Series by Kenyon/Love
Women of the Otherworld by Armstrong
The Argeneau Novels by Sands
Black Dagger Brotherhood by Ward

message 17: by C.C. (new)

C.C. | 219 comments IMO the following deserves 5 stars:
Black Dagger Brotherhood- JR Ward
Night Huntress- Jeaniene Frost
Fever Series- Karen Marie Moning
Mortal Instruments (at least until book 3)- Cassandra Clare
Vampire Academy- Richelle Mead
Chicagoland Vampires- Chloe Neill

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 407 comments Oh, I forgot Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole...

ℸℎℯrℯᏕα (wwg1wga) | 36 comments Larissa Ione's Demonica Series.

message 20: by Dee (new)

Tina "IRead2Escape" (tinar1121) | 40 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Oh, I forgot Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole..."

I forgot it, too. Great series!

Tina "IRead2Escape" (tinar1121) | 40 comments CC ~* Waiting for Qhuay *~ wrote: "IMO the following deserves 5 stars:
Black Dagger Brotherhood- JR Ward
Night Huntress- Jeaniene Frost
Fever Series- Karen Marie Moning
Mortal Instruments (at least until book 3)- Cassandra Clare
Vam..."

Also, a great list. Although, I haven't read any of Casandra Clare so I can't personally vouch for that one.

message 23: by jD (last edited Jun 24, 2012 09:15AM) (new)

jD (jd_4everbooked) | 152 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Oh, I forgot Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole..."

Lisa you are forgiven. I was scrolling the list looking for that one. LoL. Night Huntress is a hard one to beat as far as consistancy but Immortals After Dark is close. I loved Moning's Fever but felt it was too long.

I noticed this list is pretty much PNR with a sprinkling of UF. I will throw in a UF --
City of Ghosts

message 24: by Iris (last edited Jun 24, 2012 04:28PM) (new)

Iris (shantle) | 1 comments Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1) by J.T. Geissinger by J.T. Geissinger
The Shadow Reader (McKenzie Lewis, #1) by Sandy Williams by Sandy Williams
you might also like the Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare :)

I just finished Shadow's Edge today and I can say that I really fell in love with the book and I can't wait for the next one. Shadow's Edge and Shadow Reader were both debut books from their respective authors and I guarantee that they'd be worth your time.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 407 comments Oops, I forgot another of my favourites in the Urban Fantasy genre. Definitely a five star dark and angsty:

***The Downside series by Stacia Kane