Historical Info for Historical Fiction Readers discussion

Bits and Bobs > Blog Tour sign ups

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Debra (last edited Jun 06, 2012 08:54AM) (new)

Debra Brown (debrabrown) | 957 comments Mod
Diana has suggested blog tours of a half-dozen authors on each other's blogs.

I would be happy to host English historical fiction writers on my blog, English Epochs 101. http://englishepochs.blogspot.com

English histfic writers can just comment as a reply to my post, and others are free to start their own blog tours below.

message 2: by D.w. (new)

D.w. (davidwilliamwilkin) | 25 comments I'm in. I could generate a list of questions and host some writers over the course of summer. My goals for my blog is to have a Regency related historical topic once a week.

Continue with updating those who stop by how I proceed on my writing life, with excerpts of what I am working on.

To keep plugging away throughout the week on the Regency Timeline of 1788 to 1837 and then do my Late Victorian-Edwardian-WW1 treatise so I have timelines for my Ruritanian romances.

If we get this going, having a post each week of an interview with other writers in English Historical Fiction would be great. Especially those from the EFHA!

message 3: by Debra (new)

D.w. wrote: "I'm in. I could generate a list of questions and host some writers over the course of summer. My goals for my blog is to have a Regency related historical topic once a week.

Continue with updatin..."

Hi David,

I don't seem to be getting notices on these forums.

Would you want to make the offer to those on EHFA? Maybe send them here to get organized.

Best!

message 4: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) I'm always willing to host people on my blog (riftwatcher.blogspot.com) as well and have a particular desire for more historical fiction authors (all periods/locales) welcome.

message 5: by Debra (last edited Jun 12, 2012 10:49AM) (new)

I've tweeted about this. Hopefully we can get it going. You can retweet me on that, if you would. Or tweet.

message 6: by Diana (new)

Diana Jackson (dianamj) | 10 comments Hi I was away for a few days. The easiest was to start would be a series of author interviews as you suggest Debra which we could all post as guest blogs. Having introduced each person it would give us time to read one of the five or six books. I am happy to post a guest blog once a week for the next five weeks. If you come up with the generic questions Debra then I am happy putting together a schedule. There seem to be four of us so far. That would be a round month and we could put them on the same day of the week. I am not Regency, I'm afraid though. My period is from the mid 19th C to 1920. What do you think?

message 7: by D.w. (new)

D.w. (davidwilliamwilkin) | 25 comments I don't think the time period matters so much as the round robin exposure. We just need a few more bloggers and we're up...

message 8: by Debra (new)

I agree. How about these questions for interviews? The questions can be answered however you wish. For example, if you want to answer a question as it relates to all your books or to one book or even your WIP, just reword the question to suit.

1) What moved you to become an author?

2) Tell us about your (current, recent, first,) novel.

3) How did (or do) the story(ies) begin to develop in your mind?

4) What did you find most challenging about writing this novel?

5)How did you choose your publishing method?

6) Tell us a little about yourself.

7) What suggestions do you have for would-be authors?

These are suggestions. I would say that any of the authors are free to skip any that they do not want to answer and even add in a question that would help them to get out what they want to say. Flexiblity.

I would put these on my author blog http://authordebrabrown.blogspot.com or my http://englishepochs.blogspot.com- your choice. In addition to the interview, or instead, you can do a guest post on English Epochs on an appropriate to the blog topic- any era of historical Britain.

Suggestions?

message 9: by Debra (last edited Jun 14, 2012 09:36PM) (new)

I agree. Grrr, I just wrote out a lengthy post and it disappeared!

Suggestions for interview questions (and I like to make it flexible so the author can delete any or make up additional questions as they wish).

2) Tell us about your (novel, novels, WIP).
3) How did the story begin to develop in your mind?
4) What did you find most challenging about this book?
5) How did you choose your publishing method?
6) Tell us a little about yourself?

Any suggestions? I would be happy to host your interview on either of my blogs (on English Epochs if appicable). http://englishepochs.blogspot.com or http://authordebrabrown.blogspot.com

I would also accept guest posts for English Epochs if applicable.
5)

message 10: by D.w. (new)

D.w. (davidwilliamwilkin) | 25 comments What makes an enticing interview? Lengthwise. 3 or more pages? It is late when I caught this but first thing tomorrow, I'll invest some time and add a few more questions to Debbie's list

message 11: by D.w. (new)

D.w. (davidwilliamwilkin) | 25 comments Since we are looking to find readers for our works, I think that the questions we want to delve into our questions bringing the readers into our works, and our cult of author? I think that this is becoming more of a directed view of marketing and promotion. Not that we want to treat our readers in a mercenary manner, but that we want to think like professionals in finding our audience, increasing our audience, and developing it.

As Debra said, answering the questions you are comfortable with, and in the order you want to present yourself is up to the interviewee.

I have Debra's questions:

2) Tell us about your (novel, novels, WIP).

Here we want to break this into parts on Plot, Plot twists that are outside the norm (uniqueness) characters

3) How did the story begin to develop in your mind?

This is the chance to get the hook out, Something you wrote hooked you into the story you sweated through, we need to convey that in the interview so we hook the reader as well.

4) What did you find most challenging about this book?

And what do you find challenging about writing. Why should a reader feel that you are good for the for the next two hours. That reading your work brings you out of the pack.

5) How did you choose your publishing method?

Describe either your self-publishing journey, or your close relationship with the people at your press.

6) Tell us a little about yourself?
Here your background that lends your uniqueness to the way you see the world and how it comes back to play in your writing.

***New***
7) What is your next work, and beyond that, what do you want to work on.
The if you had a steady income stream, what would be the projects you would do. What are we to expect next, and when can we expect it.

8) In the current work, is there an excerpt to share? Your favorite scene, a part of your life that you put into the work and think it came out exceptionally well that you would like to share.

9) Who do you think influenced your writing, this work, and who do you think you write like. (This is what we are supposed to think of for querry letters to entice agents. We should do so to speak to our readers)

10) Who do you read? What are the things that a reader can identify with that you have grounded yourself in.

11) When writing, what is your routine for the day, for crafting a scene, for the entire cycle of first work to published copy? Highlight the struggle of crafting a work. How many hours you will spend on the piece that they will spend $10, on and two hours on. Show them that those 2 hours of enjoyment comes at the cost of 100, 500, hours of your own creativity.

12) Do you think of yourself as an artist, or as a craftsman, a blend of both? Describe to the reader how you would define yourself. What was the day like when you knew you were a writer. How did you feel on that day? Bring the reader into your life and provide them with a feeling that they are walking alongside you on the path you took as well. Make them a part of your team.

13) Where should we look for your work. Where are your material available needs to be included.

These are just some thoughts and reflections I think might add readers as partners, as fans after they have read your work and your interview.

What do others think of these ideas?

message 12: by Debra (new)

It sounds good. I am away for the weekend, so please reword my questions if you think it would help.

message 13: by D.w. (new)

D.w. (davidwilliamwilkin) | 25 comments Just wanted to add to it to build out what we might want to get from a blog tour. (As I see it. I could be very skewed.)

message 14: by Debra (new)

Hi David, I just got to read it all carefully and I think it is great. You all can get it ready for my blog(s) any time. I will not be able to write up my answers for a bit.

Diane, I was at the GR page for your book and there is no description at all. That would be very helpful.

Debbie

message 15: by D.w. (new)

D.w. (davidwilliamwilkin) | 25 comments I'll write all the questions out on Monday and then Post to our EFHA Bloggers group on FB. After we see how many people are really into doing this, that might tell us how we space it out. If just the 4 who have come into this thread, then once a week seems right, but if we have 20+ then perhaps 3 times a week might be better. (Just typing out loud, never done this before.)

message 16: by Debra (new)

Okay that sounds good. As long as they understand it is not for the EHFA blog.

message 17: by D.w. (new)

D.w. (davidwilliamwilkin) | 25 comments I just think that the 44 members who are posting regularly to the Blog are a more dedicated group of writer researchers and should have first crack at something like this for promoting themselves and their works. MHO. Always like to hear other thoughts.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura Purcell I'd be interested in doing this, sounds like a great idea!

message 19: by Debra (new)

You are welcome to join us Laura. I am not able to be much involved for a few days.

message 20: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Pym | 50 comments I'd give this a try if you wouldn't mind. Sounds like a great way to make new friends.

message 21: by V.R. (new)

V.R. Christensen (vrchristensen) | 46 comments I'd be up for it. What is the timeline? I'll be out of town over the weekend, but should be pretty free after that.

I, too, am not getting notices for the group, which is why I've not been. Also was leading a group read on another thread, so maybe my uninvolvement here during that time made the notices stop? Not sure.

message 22: by D.w. (new)

D.w. (davidwilliamwilkin) | 25 comments So far:
VR
Laura
Debbie
JA
Katherine
David
Is that about right?

My thought would be that we take the questions, generate a page back of answers for an interview, with posting links and pics for the book/books you are promoting. Then come up with a posting schedule once we all have written in, or found more who want to do this. On the date of a posting, we each post one of the interviews, either all the same, or a round robin, so that if there are 8 of us, say we have a our interview posted 8 times in one day, or that day the 8 in our group get posted, and then the next time the same interview gets posted, but at a different site...

Thoughts (how is it done?) etc....

message 23: by V.R. (new)

V.R. Christensen (vrchristensen) | 46 comments It sounds good to me. Particularly if we don't have to write *different* posts for every posting. I'm not as concerned about SEO and all that as I am about exposure and reaching out to potential readers.

I think those questions are really intriguing, too. Some of them very thought provoking.

message 24: by D.w. (new)

D.w. (davidwilliamwilkin) | 25 comments If you have other ideas for questions, please add. I think the idea is to engage the reader. I went to a seminar once with Elizabeth George speaking and that has gotten me thinking a lot about how we structure our books, and our hooks. Outside of the actual reading of the piece, how do we go about getting readership.

You can have written the next pulitzer book, but if no one reads it, then you won't get the exposure. So how do we get someone to not only purchase the book, or want to win a copy, but become someone who helps us find more people who will want to read our stories?

message 25: by Debra (new)

I think our posts should be spread out over time. Like your interview is posted on one blog per week. That way you can tweet it over a period of time and catch the attention of different Tweet readers. We should not mob our promotions friends with repeats of it, however. And maybe just one of us at a time with that.

I will be coming in on this a little later, if that is ok, but will gladly post your interviews on my blog whenever.

message 26: by Debra (new)

V.r. wrote: "I, too, am not getting notices for the group, which is why I've not been. Also w..."

GR does not continue to send notices of posts unless you are active on a thread.

message 27: by V.R. (new)

V.R. Christensen (vrchristensen) | 46 comments Hmmm... I was active. Not sure how I fell off. Edits, I suppose. I get rather sucked into edits when I'm in the middle of a revision, as I have been.

message 28: by V.R. (new)

V.R. Christensen (vrchristensen) | 46 comments I was active on the Victorian thread. No new posts there since March. May have to change that...

message 29: by Debra (new)

I don't get notices unless I have commented very recently and I run the group. Lol.

message 30: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Pym | 50 comments D.w. wrote: "I'll write all the questions out on Monday and then Post to our EFHA Bloggers group on FB. After we see how many people are really into doing this, that might tell us how we space it out. If just t..."

Where is the EHFA blog?

message 32: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Pym | 50 comments D.w. wrote: "http://englishhistoryauthors.blogspot..."

Oh, that one. I'm a contributor. For some reason I thought it was another. Must be Monday.

message 33: by Judith (new)

Judith Geary (judithgearymsncom) | 10 comments Just visited J.A. Beard's "Unnecessary Musings." As an historical fiction writer, I'd love to contribute to that one. Check my website at www.judithgeary.com to see if you think my work is suitable. I notice you had an SF author this time. My mentor was OS Card.

message 34: by Judith (new)

Judith Geary (judithgearymsncom) | 10 comments This sounds worderful Diana. I do wish these commentw would appear under the post they're addressed to.

Diana wrote: "Hi I was away for a few days. The easiest was to start would be a series of author interviews as you suggest Debra which we could all post as guest blogs. Having introduced each person it would giv..."

message 35: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (msjones) | 7 comments I would love to participate, and will feature all interviews on my blog, http://authorsherryjones.com/blogs

message 36: by Debra (last edited Jun 19, 2012 11:14AM) (new)

Everyone could begin answering interview questions and sending them to each of the bloggers that will be hosting them.

Welcome to the group, Sherry.

message 37: by Diana (new)

Diana Jackson (dianamj) | 10 comments Hi folks
Yes I'd certainly like to be involved and I will have some space for promotion in the next couple of months. The questions are well thought out to reach readers rather than writers. Would it be easier to be in touch by email now so that we can find out who is enthusiastic and agree a programme. Each of our blogs have different audiences and so, even if the interviews are posted on each of the blogs one a day for a week, it would be like the same interview on different TV channels. What do you think of concentrating on an author per week? Once we have run it though once we maybe in a position to read and write book reviews too, which would of course all be different. Glad to be involved and I'll keep up with the thread now.

message 38: by D.w. (new)

D.w. (davidwilliamwilkin) | 25 comments Maybe we need to keep track of two lists:

Bloggers (you will host the interviews)
Interviewee (you will write up your response to the interview)

You can of course be a part of both lists

message 39: by Debra (new)

I will post your interviews on my blogs for now (one is not strictly English historical- both are listed above) as I am wanting to reedit my first book. It gets good reviews, but I am not satisfied. I was trying to meet a deadline. You know how that is.

Hopefully in the future, perhaps by early fall, I will be ready to promote both my published book and the one I am writing now. Then I'll bang on your door. :)

Message me for my email address if you do not already have it.

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura Purcell Lovely - I'm a bit of both. Will start working on answering the questions now and if anyone would like to feature on my blog (Regency/Georgian only I'm afraid) direct message me on Twitter - @Laura_D_Purcell and I'll pass on my email address.

message 41: by Debra (new)

Direct messages only work for someone that you are following.

message 42: by D.w. (new)

D.w. (davidwilliamwilkin) | 25 comments There was a way at Goodreads to message someone, do you have to be friends?

message 43: by Debra (new)

No, not on Goodreads.

message 44: by D.w. (new)

D.w. (davidwilliamwilkin) | 25 comments click on the name in the message header here, then again when you reach the page summarizing their messages, click on the name again, and then I think you get a send message option

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura Purcell Ooo thanks I didn't realise you could do that! Goodreads novice!

message 46: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) Sorry I've been quiet. In the middle of preparing to move and I don't even know where yet (long story).

That being said:

Hrmm. I'll have to bow out of the round robin as presented. It's not that I don't want to host interviews, it's just that I'm very particular about preparing my own questions and not using a standardized set (people can message me directly or e-mail me at bms.beard@gmail.com).

I'm more than happy to help promote these interviews on twitter, FB, et cetera though.

If people post links to the interviews on this thread when they post them up, I also have a couple of other places I can post them up to get more exposure.

message 47: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Shaughnessy (joyceshaughnessy) | 67 comments D.w. wrote: "So far:
VR
Laura
Debbie
JA
Katherine
David
Is that about right?

My thought would be that we take the questions, generate a page back of answers for an interview, with posting links and pics for th..."

I would love to post to your blog. I primarily write about WWII in Pacific. Do you think people would be interested in topic? Joyce

message 48: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) I e-mailed you, Joyce.

RE: Earlier post

BTW, when I was talking about promoting stuff, I was referring to promoting the interviews associated with this group. That is, I want to support them even if I'm not directly participating with that particular set. Just so that's clear.

message 49: by Debra (new)

JA, I think folks here would be happy to answer your set of questions. You are the Interview Man!

message 50: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (msjones) | 7 comments So, once I answer these questions, what do I do with them? Send them to Debra? Anyone who wants to send their answered questions to me may do so: my email address is sherry@authorsherryjones.com. I also welcome your photo and an image of your book's cover, plus anything else you'd like to send, especially chocolate. ;) Thanks!

« previous 1