The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > RIP Ray Bradbury

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Karly (new)

Karly (karlycay) | 79 comments The first short story I ever read of his was "There Will Come Soft Rains." It was some of the first science fiction literature I read and it blew my mind. Also the first dystopian story I read. It changed my view of sci fi and short stories forever.

RIP

message 3: by David (new)

David Magnenat (davemag) | 1 comments And picked up by the wire services as well.
Bradbury was my first Sci-Fi author. I read "Illustrated Man" in elementary school, followed quickly by his other books. His ability to create a dreamlike quality in his worlds (Dandelion Wine, anyone?) is amazing, especially for a genre too often known for hard edges and precise illustrations.

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Jun 06, 2012 08:45AM) (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 9 comments I just heard this too. I am so sad. If you can get your hands on it, you should pick up California Sorcery. It is hard to get, but you can usually get a copy in the Amazon Marketplace for a decent price. It talks about Ray Bradbury and several other Science Fiction writers who were all part of a group of friends that became well known authors (many of whom wrote for The Twilight Zone with Bradbury). There are short stories in it that you won't find in any other compilation because the authors wrote them specifically for the book. It is one of the best compilations of short stories I have ever read, and the story of this group of men is incredible and fascinating.

message 5: by Craig (new)

Craig (cskroeze) This hits home, I just re-read F451 a few weeks ago. Great book. Bradbury had some awesome additions to sci-fi and I appreciate his contributions.

message 6: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 710 comments Fahrenheit 451 was one of the books that changed my life.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) | 9 comments Craig wrote: "This hits home, I just re-read F451 a few weeks ago. Great book. Bradbury had some awesome additions to sci-fi and I appreciate his contributions."

Craig, have you read A Pleasure to Burn? It is a new book that came out last year I think (or possibly 2010) of short stories and novellas from the Fahrenheit 451 universe. I was so excited that he published them, and even more so now that he has passed. I always hoped that he would write more. That was one of my favorite books.

message 8: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Another sign of the alpaca lips .. I mean the apocalypse. A sad day for scifi.

message 9: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) I heard the news on the radio this morning on my way in to work. The loss of yet another formative author of my youth. So sad.

Fahrenheit 451 was one of the few books I had to read for school that I really enjoyed. And while I haven't managed to finish Something Wicked This Way Comes (still haven't gotten back to that friend's house), the lyric quality of the writing was such a pleasure.

message 10: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments Oh my god.
I typed "I can't believe it," but then I took it back, because of course I *can* believe it. At his appearance last year here at UCR, when he was being honored by the Eaton Collection people, he wasn't able to take questions because he was so tired. One of his assistants took a few for him, then they cut short the signing because he was feeling so frail.
Haven't been this upset since Heinlein died. Damn. More later.

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 710 comments Another of my favorites, a short story: "The Veldt"

message 12: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6350 comments Kaleidoscope.

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Silva (kellysilva) | 10 comments I'm not usually one to post "RIP" posts on my social networks, but I did today for Bradbury. I was introduced to him from a college professor (still can't believe I missed out on Fahrenheit 451 in high school) when I first read Something Wicked This Way Comes. It is still one of my favorite books, and one of the first sci-fi books I actually enjoyed. I have to give Bradbury credit for making sci-fi that I like, and has gotten me to read more, and join Sword and Laser!

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments A Sound of Thunder still holds a place in my heart...

message 15: by Phil (new)

Phil Friel (philfriel) | 4 comments Bradbury was so different to all the other harder SF authors that I tended to read. He was almost poetical in his brilliance, and his stories filled my mind with such amazing images.

The Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451, The Fog Horn, A Sound of Thunder, There Will Come Soft Rains, The Veldt, Kaleidoscope, Something Wicked This Way Comes... so many gems of SF were written by this great author. His passing is such a great loss to SF.

Every time one of these great authors dies, I feel like a really important part of my past has gone. I'm absolutely gutted by this sad news. It's like losing a really close friend. :(

message 16: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6350 comments Jesse posted many multimedia versions of 'There Will Come Soft Rains': http://www.sffaudio.com/?p=40061

message 17: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4185 comments Wow.

I guess I shouldn't admit that I've never read any Bradbury.

Wow.

message 18: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6350 comments I kind of wish he liked tech more. But he was 91, so he was doing something right.

message 19: by Charles (new)

Charles | 248 comments Even Obama had a post on Bradbury: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/0...

message 20: by Charles (new)

Charles | 248 comments Tamahome wrote: "I kind of wish he liked tech more. But he was 91, so he was doing something right."

He did see F*ck Me, Ray Bradbury...

message 21: by Charles (new)

Charles | 248 comments terpkristin wrote: "Wow.

I guess I shouldn't admit that I've never read any Bradbury.

Wow."

Not too late!

I'm partial to Something Wicked This Way Comes

message 22: by Tina (last edited Jun 06, 2012 06:31PM) (new)

Tina (javabird) | 710 comments I really love the movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060390/. I first saw it when I was a kid on TV (that was a long time ago-- we actually DID have antennae on the houses then). Most friends I've loaned the DVD to have thought it was kind of slow and boring. But I love it. I love the scene where the secret library is discovered in the old house (no spoilers, in case you haven't seen it). And the final scene in the forest make it all worth it.

message 23: by Anne (new)

Anne | 336 comments I managed to meet him once about 10 years ago. Awesome intelligence. He wrote his first stories on the 25cent an hour typewriters at the University of Arizona library where he educated himself by starting with the English literature shelves. He couldn't afford college.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Since he died I don't know if the remake of Fahrenheit 451 will ever come out now.

message 25: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments I feel he is the coolest author from the Golden Era of science fiction being the last to die and writing more than just science fiction.

message 26: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (anthonyp-) For anyone who's interested, Neil Gaiman has uploaded a reading of his short story 'The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury' to Soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/neilgaiman/the-...

message 27: by Anne (new)

Anne | 336 comments Kevin wrote: "Since he died I don't know if the remake of Fahrenheit 451 will ever come out now."

The original holds up well. Maybe it's just as well it doesn't get modernized now that we are in the middle of the age of wall-sized tv blather and rec. drugs, universal surveillance, targeted kills, extreme rendition, etc.

message 28: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 584 comments Reading his stuff in sixth grade sparked my love for both SF and short stories

message 29: by Reader Reborn (new)

Reader Reborn (readerreborn) I was in the middle of the Illustrated Man thinking about how he was the best living American writer out there the day he died. :( I had just read the story Kaleidoscope, and considering the subject matter of that, plus the news of his death... Well, if you've read that story, it was hard and I had to put it down for a while.