SciFi and Fantasy eBook Club discussion

General Topics > Ray Bradbury gone at age 91

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charles (new)

Charles (nogdog) One of the greatest is no longer with us.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow...

message 2: by L. (new)

L. Gibbs (ldgibbs) A definite loss. Thank you for providing the link to the article. I like his simple definition of science fiction vs fantasy.

message 3: by stormhawk (last edited Jun 06, 2012 09:40AM) (new)

stormhawk | 75 comments Off to the Halloween Tree. Bye Ray. You taught me about wonder, that reading is to be cherished, and that frightening is not the same as horrible.

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) To borrow a title, Someone Wonderful Has Gone...but will never be forgotten. Rest you gentle, Mr. Bradbury.

message 5: by Donna (last edited Jun 07, 2012 10:07AM) (new)

Donna (donnahr) Now that I think about it, I believe Ray Bradbury must have been the first science fiction I was ever exposed to. I remembering reading Fahrenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles in high school (in class? on my own? don't remember). Fahrenheit 451 was surely one of the very first books that blew me away.

Also, the video in Charles' link, an interview with Bradbury and Hugh Hefner, is really interesting.

message 6: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 75 comments I have a memory of a teacher reading one of his Martian Chronicles stories, back in 5th grade or so. Or it might have been in the "Language Arts" book. Either way, I was hooked. I think it might have been The Third Expedition.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 9 comments Ray Bradbury was truly an awesome writer, capable of enticing even those who didn't usually care for Science Fiction. I remember my sister, who does not read Science Fiction, read and recommended to me a collection of his works.

message 8: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Moorer (sherrithewriter) How sad. Another great talent gone from the world. He will live on through his writings.