Beyond Reality discussion

Ray Bradbury
This topic is about Ray Bradbury
General SF&F discussion > R.I.P. Ray Bradbury (1920-2012)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (last edited Jun 06, 2012 08:29AM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Ray Bradbury has passed away. He was 91.

Do you have a favorite Bradbury? I am still partial to Fahrenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles, but he also has a bunch of wonderful short stories.

Edit to add: The Halloween Tree! I need to be sure to re-read it this October.

message 2: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) Rest in Peace! He'll be missed.

My favorite is also Fahrenheit 451.

Brilliant author! :-(

message 3: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments I would put Fahrenheit 451 at the top of my list.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 132 comments I read Something Wicked This Way Comes and the Illustrated Man in 8th grade and was absolutely enthralled.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments He lived a full life, but it's still sad to hear of his passing. Got to meet him one time and have always been amazed at what a visionary he was. Now only Ray Harryhausen remains of "The Two Rays" who thrilled us with their vivid imaginations.

message 6: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 818 comments Candiss wrote: "

Edit to add: The Halloween Tree! I need to be sure to re-read it this October. "

Oh, I haven't thought of that in ages. I'll have to try to dig up a copy.

I still haven't managed to finish Something Wicked This Way Comes (still haven't gotten back to that friend's house), but the lyric quality was such a joy.

The loss of yet another formative author of my youth. Very sad. Fahrenheit 451 was one of the few books I had to read in school which I really enjoyed.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 187 comments My favorite Bradbury would have to be "The Veldt," AKA "The World the Children Made." Brr.

message 8: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) My favorite is definitely Fahrenheit 451, but he wrote some amazing short stories as well.

message 9: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 136 comments He certainly was a great. Martian Chronicles has to be the classic of sci fi understatement.

message 10: by Lindsey (last edited Jun 06, 2012 02:52PM) (new)

Lindsey | 379 comments Fahrenheit 451 was great but my favorites were always his short stories, especially R is for Rocket, S is for Space, and The Toynbee Convector (why yes, I am a rocket scientist, why do you ask?). He wrote so many great stories. As I'm flipping through bibliographies (sadly, all incomplete), I'm finding more and more amazing short stories... The Fog Horn, A Sound of Thunder, The Flying Machine. The stories Banshee and The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl still give me shivers. Understatement, indeed.

My dad introduced them to me when I was a kid by reading to me on weekends and I read many more on my own over the years. I can't wait to read them to my own kids one day. May Bradbury's works always remain available to curious minds.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Many wonderful short stories. One of the lesser ones, and not an SF tale, is also one of my favorites: "The Terrible Conflagration Up At The Place". A good natured narrative about good natured terrorists.

message 12: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2172 comments Mod
So many amazing stories, both short and novel-length. I think my favorite is Dandelion Wine. I need to read that again...

message 13: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Jun 06, 2012 06:32PM) (new)

Kathi | 3147 comments Mod
Random wrote: "The loss of yet another formative author of my youth. Very sad. Fahrenheit 451 was one of the few books I had to read in school which I really enjoyed. "

Same here--read it for school and was hooked.

I have a few of his books on my shelf that I confess I've never read, however, and I'll have to remedy that!

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I read Something Wicked This Way Comes and the Illustrated Man in 8th grade and was absolutely enthralled."

I have those two books signed by him about a year after I was born. I found them at the local libraray book sale right after my birthday, about 22 years after the two books were signed.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I also was first introduced to him in school, but it was not through his books, but the 1982 adaptation of his short story I sing the Body Electric as The Electric Grandmother sometime time in grade school, maybe in third or fourth grade. I did not know it was his based on his work till a year or two ago as I remember watching it.

message 16: by Tad (new)

Tad | 4 comments Good video of him speaking to writers (short one, promise). A surprisingly powerful speaker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgkVNK...

message 17: by Nikita (new)

Nikita (nikita42) My first introduction was school as well, but not for English, our French teacher had us read the french translation of Martian Chronicles. A couple years ago I finally read Fahrenheit 451 and I loved it. Bradbury is definitely a great author and will be missed.

message 18: by Amelia (last edited Jun 07, 2012 12:12PM) (new)

Amelia (narknon) Kevin wrote: "I also was first introduced to him in school, but it was not through his books, but the 1982 adaptation of his short story I sing the Body Electric as The Electric Grandmother sometime time in grad..."

I know that movie! I had no idea it was based on a Bradbury short story. Makes me like him even more. Guess that would be my first into to him too. That's one of the VHS tapes we watched so much it actually wore out. :(

message 19: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments I am trying to think if I ever read Bradbury. I think I may have read Fahrenheit 451, but I dont think so.
I think I may go out and try and pick up and read Fahrenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles

message 20: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Orbit publishers author and four-time Goodreads Choice Award nominee Michael J. Sullivan is graciously allowing the members of Beyond Reality to read for free a short story he has written in memorium for Ray Bradbury.

Here's the link:

http://michaeljsullivan.polldaddy.com...

Upon hearing that our sci-fi BOTM is Fahrenheit 451, Michael contacted us and made this offer available. His instructions read:

"People can just fill out the form to tell me what format they want and where I should email it to."

We greatly appreciate this offer from Mr. Sullivan. Thank you, Michael!

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 31 comments Nick,
Thanks for posting the link - and you are very welcome. I really love this short story that I wrote and I hope people enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

message 22: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3147 comments Mod
Wow, how wonderful, thank you!!

message 23: by Ann (new)

Ann | 12 comments thank you so much!!!

message 24: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2172 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "Nick,
Thanks for posting the link - and you are very welcome. I really love this short story that I wrote and I hope people enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it."

Thank you so much! I look forward to reading it!