Johnson County Library Teen Reading Club discussion

Summer Reading June 11-17 > Andi believes hope is dangerous: "It's the crystal meth of emotions. It hooks you fast and kills you hard ... when hope shows up, it's only a matter of time until someone gets hurt." What do you think?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (purplepenmore) | 31 comments Mod
But the flip side is, how many people have survived because of hope? Maybe hope is the ultimate antibiotic ...

ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (taggerung) When my baby brother was in the hospital because he was born very premature, I would not have dealt with it as well as I did if I didn't have hope he would be okay (and I'm sure he's why the doctors called a miracle baby because of all the hope and prayers everyone had for him). Hope is how we tell ourselves and make ourselves believe it will be okay; then, gives us the strength to try to make it happen. Hope may not always solve the pro born, it may not always be fulfilled, but I think that without hope life would be miserable. It's like the story of Pandora's box. All the miseries of the world flew out, and Pandora almost closed the box, but she noticed one more thing, one that wasn't hideous, trying to make it out. That beautiful thing was hope.

message 3: by Lillian (new)

Lillian | 29 comments Hope is like a double edged sword, if you have hope for everything, you are bound to be let down at some point, but if you have no hope for anything, for fear of bad stuff happening, what kind of life would that be?

message 4: by Clara (new)

Clara | 16 comments Lillian wrote: "Hope is like a double edged sword, if you have hope for everything, you are bound to be let down at some point, but if you have no hope for anything, for fear of bad stuff happening, what kind of l..."

Ahh! I agree with everybody! So I don't really have that much to add, except that I LOVE the comparison you made.

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 42 comments I believe hope is essential. Without hope, people would be afraid to try and explore. I believe hope is the thing that gets all of us through hard times.

message 6: by Austin (new)

Austin (airjordan) | 22 comments Hope in something or the hope of achieving a goal is what keeps each person going. I know this isn't exactly what the OP meant, but a world without hope would be really dull because people would only be willing to try things that they knew would work. No one would take any risks... wow I can't even think about it. That would be sooooo weird.