Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Ray Bradbury
This topic is about Ray Bradbury
Authors > Ray Bradbury RIP

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 130 comments http://io9.com/5916175/rip-ray-bradbu...

Goodbye to one of the best. I really have no words now. This man's writing is so much of who I am.

message 2: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 48 comments You will be missed. :(

message 3: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 65 comments 91 years is a good, long run! Of course, still sad.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 130 comments As I start to wrap my head around this, I have a hope:

That, one day, when men walk on the surface of Mars (and not just robots) that we place a plaque there that states, in part, "To Ray Bradbury. It's not like he imagined it, but we came here because visionaries like him dared to imagine it."

message 5: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 65 comments Robert: That would be wonderful.

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments I'm shocked.

message 7: by Rusty (new)

Rusty One of my favorites is gone from this world.

message 8: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) Robert wrote: "As I start to wrap my head around this, I have a hope:

That, one day, when men walk on the surface of Mars (and not just robots) that we place a plaque there that states, in part, "To Ray Bradbury..."

That's a beautiful thought and a wonderful idea. I hope that happens one day.

message 9: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Simon (joshuapsimon) | 30 comments Great author who lived a full life. He'll definitely be missed.

message 10: by Traci (new)

Traci Robert wrote: "As I start to wrap my head around this, I have a hope:

That, one day, when men walk on the surface of Mars (and not just robots) that we place a plaque there that states, in part, "To Ray Bradbury..."

Ditto. I love this!

I always thought it was cool that such a classic iconic writer was still with us. I'm sad that we've lost both Bradbury himself and that it's the end of an era of science fiction.

message 11: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 98 comments I hope there are some well informed TV tributes to him.

message 12: by Kevin (last edited Jun 06, 2012 07:43PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) I'm glad that I found Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury and The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury signed about year after I was born at the local library book sale last October.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) I know don't know if the remake of Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury is actually going to come out now or not.

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Its kind of cool considering he is the last of the authors from the golden era of science fiction to die.

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris Galford (galfordc) "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." ~Ray Bradbury

Words the man certainly lived to the fullest. RIP just doesn't say enough--the man was one of those that truly worked to make the speculative fiction genres viewed as legitimate literary genres in their own right. A brilliant writer, for whom I have worlds of respect. May eternity treat him well.

He will always remain one of the greats. And Robert...that would be amazing. A lovely piece of future to (hopefully) look forward to.

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 262 comments Always sad to see the greats go. Still, he lived such a long and rich life (wasn't he in his 90's?). It's inspiring to see people who lived life to the fullest and give so much as to make a lasting legacy. He will be missed.