Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Order of Patricia Briggs books?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by B (new)

B | 55 comments I just started Alpha and Omega by Patricia Briggs in On the Prowl. I've never read any of her other books -- is it okay to start with Alpha and Omega without having read the Mercy Thompson series? Thanks. :)

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I think so. You see some secondary characters from the Mercy series. You'll probably enjoy them more if you've read that series, but the main character, Anna, is brand new and Charles only makes a fleeting appearance in the Mercy series, so you're good. She establishes the world, etc. for readers new to the series.

message 3: by B (new)

B | 55 comments Thanks. :) I have so many books here that I want to read that I *could* wait and get the Mercy one first before reading this one (and not be wanting for something to read) but I kind of like this one and don't want to wait (who knows when the library will have it for me?!). So I think I'll continue with it. :) Thanks again new_user.

message 4: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) | 614 comments Mod
Yeah, I think the Anna and Charles series will work without reading Mercy first, though the secondary characters (and Charles) get a lot of their background from Mercy. It's not essential, though, and Charles explains himself to Anna in this series, so I think you're good.

message 5: by B (new)

B | 55 comments Cool. Thanks Fangirl. I started Cry Wolf last night and I'm enjoying it, so I'd hate to have to stop now. My only hesitation is that I'll have to wait until the summer for the second in the series. It would be nice to read through the Mercy series one after another since they're available.... Decisions, decisions. :)

message 6: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 75 comments I just read "Cry Wolf" a week ago. You can easily read it without reading the Mercy books.

I've only read the first Mercy book, but I find myself more intrigued by Charles and Anna than Mercy and her friends.

message 7: by B (new)

B | 55 comments Cool mlady_rebecca -- thanks. I'm almost halfway through Cry Wolf, and disappointed that it's almost over. :)

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 737 comments I loved the short story in On the Prowl and I really enjoyed Cry Wolf. However, I can't heap enough praise on the Mercy series. They are brilliant books that just get better and better as the series progresses. I would definitely recommend seeking them out!

message 9: by B (new)

B | 55 comments Oh, I haven't given up on them Nicole! If the library doesn't get the first one for me soon, I'll try to get it another way. :)

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon (Bookewyrm) | 57 comments Can't wait for the fourth book. It takes place immediately after Moon Called, so I'd recommend reading the Mercy Thompson series in order.

message 11: by B (new)

B | 55 comments Isn't Moon Called the first one?

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Here's the order that I have:

Moon Called
Blood Bound
Iron Kissed
Bone Crossed - Feb 5th release date

message 13: by B (new)

B | 55 comments Thanks. Thought so.

message 14: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Urban Fantasy Land just posted the cover to the new Alpha & Omega book: http://urbanfantasyland.wordpress.com... Looks like it's coming out at the end of July. I can't wait!

message 15: by CJ - It's only a Paper Moon (last edited Jan 11, 2009 12:12PM) (new)

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon (Bookewyrm) | 57 comments Lori wrote: "Here's the order that I have:

Moon Called
Blood Bound
Iron Kissed
Bone Crossed - Feb 5th release date
"

Yep...duh! I am actually ashamed of myself right now.

I suppose the moral of the story is never write and drink. It impairs memory and causes embarrassment!

CJ - It's only a Paper Moon (Bookewyrm) | 57 comments The Discriminating Fangirl wrote: "Urban Fantasy Land just posted the cover to the new Alpha & Omega book: http://urbanfantasyland.wordpress.com... Looks like it's coming out at ..."

that looks amazing!

message 17: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Thanks for the link, Fangirl! That cover does look awesome! She has some beautiful covers. I like that they're art and not just printed photos, LOL. The girl is beautifully drawn.

I can finally replace the ugly "this book does not have a cover" placeholder we've had at GR for this book, LOL. I can't wait to read it!

message 18: by Jess (new)

Jess | 173 comments That cover looks fantastic! Can't wait for it to come out.

message 19: by B (new)

B | 55 comments I should be finishing Cry Wolf tonight -- gotta get my hands on Moon Called so I can get through that series while waiting for the next A&O book! :)

message 20: by Flitterkit (new)

Flitterkit | 4 comments Bonnie wrote: "Oh, I haven't given up on them Nicole! If the library doesn't get the first one for me soon, I'll try to get it another way. :)" I personally gave up on the library and bought the damn books a few months ago. :) Totally couldn't wait. I have gotten a bunch of other books by her from the library as well and the Hob's Bargain is also excellent.

message 21: by B (new)

B | 55 comments Since I *did* finish Cry Wolf tonight, I'm going to see if any of the others I have here hold my interest until Moon Called shows up at the library -- but if not, I'll just buy it. :)

Options right now are:
Heart Of Stone
Hotter After Midnight
Kitty and the Midnight Hour

(And the non-Briggs stories in On the Prowl.)

message 22: by new_user (last edited Jan 11, 2009 08:58PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Hotter After Midnight wasn't bad. The second book, Midnight Sins, was better though, more concentrated in the things that the first book just hinted at, like a strong hero and heroine. :) It's a good introduction to the setting and the secondary characters that star in the next books.

message 23: by B (new)

B | 55 comments Thanks new_user -- I was about to return it to the library the other day, but I'd read a bit of it and I realized it stuck with me/I was interested. Same for Kitty. Heart of Stone wasn't pulling me so much (I was trying to read it for a GR group read), so I might abandon that one. Not sure.

message 24: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Yeah, I also plan to read HoS for the UF group. I like the prospect of gargoyles, but I've never really enjoyed the books from that publisher so I've been dragging my feet. Plus, I don't like seeing the same couple starring all throughout a series. It gets tedious for me.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read comments from Patricia Briggs regarding her Mercy covers. She is thrilled with the artist her publisher has chosen.

message 26: by B (new)

B | 55 comments new_user wrote: "Yeah, I also plan to read HoS for the UF group. I like the prospect of gargoyles, but I've never really enjoyed the books from that publisher so I've been dragging my feet. Plus, I don't like seein..."

I think when I've been reading so many good authors, and stories that really catch my interest, and I have such a long list of others to try, it feels like I shouldn't have to force myself to get into a book. It should either happen right away, or it goes on my "abandoned" shelf.

message 27: by Flitterkit (new)

Flitterkit | 4 comments Bonnie wrote: "I think when I've been reading so many good authors, and stories that really catch my interest, and I have such a long list of others to try, it feels like I shouldn't have to force myself to get into a book. It should either happen right away, or it goes on my "abandoned" shelf.
"

An "abandoned" bookshelf! Neat. I was trying to think of a good thing to call that. I don't usually have that many. I am stubborn and usually finish what I start, however with as many good new books recently, I have not finished a few. I was having trouble since they aren't really either to reads, or Read. Thanks!

message 28: by B (last edited Jan 12, 2009 04:05PM) (new)

B | 55 comments You're welcome Flitterkit! I usually like to finish what I start, too, but recently have realized it's just silly if the book is just awful -- or if it's something I'm enjoying but just not in the mood to finish right now. (And I can make note of that in the notes, and even give it good stars and/or put it back on the "to read" shelf at the same time. (It has to also be in "to read" or "read" though -- that's the only problem -- I'm not sure how to mark that part yet.))

message 29: by new_user (last edited Jan 12, 2009 06:39PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Yeah, I generally don't like to force myself through a book. If I think I might be in the mood to try again later, I put it back on my TBR shelf. Otherwise, I put it in my "read" shelf just so I know not to pick it up again. Books that I have to struggle through are generally not books I end up liking at any rate.

You know, if you mark that abandoned shelf "exclusive" you can use it as a third option instead of "to-read" or "read." I would do it myself, but that would probably cover too many books, LOL.

message 30: by B (new)

B | 55 comments Ohhh!! Thank you new_user!! "Exclusive" -- got it!

message 31: by B (new)

B | 55 comments Yay -- just finished Moon Called -- LOVED it.

message 32: by Jess (new)

Jess | 173 comments :) yay... now you just have to get the rest of the books Bonnie!! lol.

message 33: by B (new)

B | 55 comments Workin' on it, workin' on it. :)

message 34: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Yay, I'm glad you liked it!

message 35: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Cool, Bonnie! Hope you like the rest of the books too! :)

message 36: by B (new)

B | 55 comments Ahhhhh!!! I thought the library had one book waiting for me (Halfway to the Grave) and was happy, and not so disappointed about abandoning Heart Of Stone. Just checked the listing again, and they got two more in! And....one was Blood Bound!!!!! (I have to get stuff done today -- can't keep reading all day!!!) The other is Nightlife. YAY!!!!

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 24, 2009 12:45AM) (new)

Life's too short to finish books I'm not enjoying. So yeah, I could use an abandoned book shelf!

Which Nightlife, and how did you like it?

message 38: by B (new)

B | 55 comments Using my abandoned shelf has been so freeing! :)

The Cal Leandros Nightlife (I linked to it above). Haven't started it yet. I'm reading (and really enjoying) Halfway to the Grave right now.