Chaos Reading discussion

Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3)
This topic is about Blackout
Talking About Specific Books > Newsflesh Trilogy! *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicholas (dexkilo) | 87 comments Has anyone finished the series yet? I need to discuss.

message 2: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruby  Tombstone Lives! (rubytombstone) | 3260 comments Mod
Working on it. I'm about halfway through. I'll jump into this thread as soon as I'm done. I will say one thing though: I'm stoked one of the characters is Welsh!
♥♥Cymru!♥♥

message 3: by Nicholas (last edited Jun 06, 2012 01:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicholas (dexkilo) | 87 comments OK.. I'm going to hide my next comments in case you or anyone else stumbles on the thread prematurely.

(view spoiler) And then Grant (or Maguire or whatever her real name is) (view spoiler) Well no shit. (view spoiler) Not that I'm disappointed or anything (quite the opposite), but damn.

Also, big ups to the publishers for releasing all the first editions as paperbacks instead of hardcovers. Much appreciated.

Nicholas (dexkilo) | 87 comments Jim wrote: "Anyone want to provide a short idiot's guide? I haven't heard of this one."

Without spoilers, here goes:

At the start of Feed (the first in the series), the year is about 2039. In 2014, two designer viruses merge with each other. The passive (asymptomatic) form of the new virus is airborne and has spread to everyone on earth. The virus will "amplify" to its live state in the event of the host's death or direct (fluid) exposure to the live state virus. Carriers of the live virus are basically zombies.

When the story begins, most people rarely leave their heavily fortified homes, though the original "rising" has basically been quelled. Consequently, field-reporting bloggers command a much larger share of the news following (compared to traditional media sources) than they have in the past.

The story follows an adopted brother/sister blog team who apply to follow a presidential candidate on the campaign trail, and gets way more in-depth and messed up from there with lots of murder and conspiracy intrigue.

I've only described elements of the first book. If it sounds young-adultish, it sort of is (a little), but it doesn't bother me in the least. Plus there's way more cursing and violence than in your average YA book and the protagonists are ~25 years old, not teenagers. This does make a difference to me.

message 5: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicholas wrote: "OK.. I'm going to hide my next comments in case you or anyone else stumbles on the thread prematurely.

[spoilers removed] And then Grant (or Maguire or whatever her real name is) [spoilers removed..."

LOL - Check out my review of [book:Feed|7094569] at the time. I knew it! http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 6: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

It was great to be immersed in the world of Newsflesh again, but I feel like she took the easy way out (view spoiler)
I thought she might go with something a bit more shocking.

Did it seem a little bit.... cheesier to you than the others? Maybe my tastes have just changed a little since the first book, but the moralistic tone did seem a bit overblown and cliched there at times. I have a few niggles with the plot too. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it. She's a fantastic writer, and the ideas behind the whole series are genius, but I really wanted to be able to give it 5 stars like the first one.

Still - at least she didn't pull a stunt like the end of Deadline. That was just contemptible treatment of the readers. If you had witnessed my utter outrage at the time.............! *grrrrrr*

message 7: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim wrote: "Anyone want to provide a short idiot's guide? I haven't heard of this one."

It's a really interesting (and clever) pandemic scenario, based on what happens after the world has had chance to get over the initial apocalypse. Life goes on, but so do the zombies. While there are zombies in it, it's more about how the world adapts to their ongoing presence & threat. There's a strong focus on new media and tech, which I found fascinating too. Grant (aka Seanan McGuire) is a really clean, sharp writer which helps, and the dialogue's witty too.

Besides the trilogy of novels, there's a novella (Countdown which gives a more detailed history of the zombie uprising, including a more detailed look at the science behind it. It's the most believable zombie virus scenario I've ever come across (and I love my zombie books).

There's another novella: Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box. Both the novellas are only in ebook/audiobook though, and the ebooks aren't available outside the US. (Sucks to be me). I sat through the audiobook for Countdown, but I don't like listening to my books, so I haven't gotten to the second one. :(

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have thought it was YA at all. The plot is very detailed.

Nicholas (dexkilo) | 87 comments Ruby wrote: ..a response

Let me start by saying that I gave 5 stars to all three installments even though in my opinion only really Feed deserved such a rating under its own merit. For the other two, I just wanted to give props for the experience of being "immersed in the world of Newsflesh" as you so aptly put it. I swear, she's turned me into a ridiculous fanboy, which is kind of infuriating.

"..I feel like she took the easy way out"

I hadn't thought of it that way, but yes definitely. (view spoiler)

"Did it seem a little bit.... cheesier to you than the others?"

Yes. (view spoiler)

Of course, I still read it in record time and I am not in the least bit dissatisfied.

message 9: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

ZOMG. We are actually in pretty much complete and utter agreement. That never happens to me! And yeah, I hate that I've been fangirling on this all week!

I did half expect one of those things you mentioned above to happen. I thought she might have really gone for it, being the last book. Joss Whedon would've done it. :)

message 10: by Nicholas (last edited Jun 09, 2012 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicholas (dexkilo) | 87 comments It seems that I wasn't as dissatisfied with the ending of Deadline as you were, but I had to love this review:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/210392848

Did you see it? BOOM! ROASTED, Mira Grant, take THAT!

message 11: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (last edited Jun 09, 2012 08:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicholas wrote: "It seems that I wasn't as dissatisfied with the ending of Deadline as you were, but I had to love this review:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Did you see it? BOOM! ROASTED, Mira G..."

Wow. Those are some issues. I don't even know where to begin with that one!

message 12: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicholas wrote: "It seems that I wasn't as dissatisfied with the ending of Deadline as you were, but I had to love this review:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Did you see it? BOOM! ROASTED, Mira G..."

I just went back & had another look. I really don't like picking other people's reviews apart, so I won't. Doesn't leave me much to respond to you with though. :)

message 13: by Elle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elle (missellesmoosh) Nicholas wrote: "OK.. I'm going to hide my next comments in case you or anyone else stumbles on the thread prematurely.

[spoilers removed] And then Grant (or Maguire or whatever her real name is) [spoilers removed..."

I have to say, the one thing I do have a slight problem with, is the fact that apart from the flyaway comment that Becks made (view spoiler)

Jennifer I have just startedFeed. Thus far I am not dissapointed. I don't find it YA at all. It has quite a bit of depth to it. I have not read the reviews (I hate play by play of a book) I have a feeling after I finish this I will need to venture into the other two.

Jennifer OK. Done with the series. Were there flaws...yes...I am glad I read them. If nothing else it was a fresh take on things and had some good all around intrigue and twists and turns. And I was not really all surprised (view spoiler)

message 16: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (last edited Jan 20, 2014 05:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer wrote: "OK. Done with the series. Were there flaws...yes...I am glad I read them. If nothing else it was a fresh take on things and had some good all around intrigue and twists and turns. And I was not rea..."

I just was infuriated with the way she linked the series by ending the first two books with random cliffhangers. I think in any series, each book should be able to stand on their own merits. This was my take on Feed: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show....

As time has worn on, Mira Grant has become more and more the cynical marketing machine, and less and less an author with integrity. That's my opinion anyway. I loved her writing, but I'm very tired of being manipulated and disrespected.

I called it quits with her books last year after this: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Closely followed by this:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Jennifer Ruby [Reviles Censorship] wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "OK. Done with the series. Were there flaws...yes...I am glad I read them. If nothing else it was a fresh take on things and had some good all around intrigue and twists and turns. ..."

I am glad I had all three to read at the same time.That way there was no wait. But you are right about the whole marketing thing...its too bad that it has evolved that way...following the 3 books model.Do we blame Tolkien?? I think not...but publishers saw the mark on all the readers foreheads!! I think we are suckers...sigh.

message 18: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (last edited Jan 20, 2014 07:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer wrote: "Ruby [Reviles Censorship] wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "OK. Done with the series. Were there flaws...yes...I am glad I read them. If nothing else it was a fresh take on things and had some good all arou..."

Not at all. All three of Tolkien's books work just fine as standalone novels. I have no problems with trilogies or series - as long as each book constitutes a whole story.

Leaving the main plot of the book unresolved, like Grant did in Feed, then introducing a brand new element on the last page for a shock ending/new beginning is just beyond cynical in my eyes. AND it's lazy writing! I don't plan on being a sucker for these money-grubbers!

message 19: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 782 comments Ruby [Reviles Censorship] wrote: "I just was infuriated with the way she linked the series by ending the first two books with random cliffhangers"

Yeah, I hate that. Enough that, much as I liked Feed, I never got to the next book.

It's funny that I stopped counting the number of times I'd read Lord of the Rings at 7, almost 40 years ago, and have read it many times since, and I thought Fellowship of the Ring actually ended on the cliffhanger of Boromir's death and the kidnapping of Merry and Pippin (do you think I need to spoiler that?), but that's actually where The Two Towers starts.

But in any case, it's undisputed fact that Tolkien never wanted that book split at all. The publisher's story is that it wasn't their fault either: wartime paper shortages!

Jennifer Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime) wrote: "Ruby [Reviles Censorship] wrote: "I just was infuriated with the way she linked the series by ending the first two books with random cliffhangers"

Yeah, I hate that. Enough that, much as I liked [..."

Then we must rise up and protest to the publishers....surely there is no shortage now....especially with e-books!!

message 21: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 782 comments It's a bit shortage!

I actually blame the SF publishers of the 70s. They refused to buy novels over about 200 pages. If you had something longer, you had to sell it as a trilogy. Guys like Jordan, Goodkind and Martin have certainly proved you can sell much bigger books, but they're even worse at wrapping up in one (or even 10) volumes.

message 22: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 1321 comments Mod
This is kind of an interesting article on trilogies in genre literature, although a bit waffly and occasionally twee.
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/12/the-...

message 23: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 782 comments Thanks for bringing that back, Whitney. I remember glancing at the article over Christmas, but it was over Christmas, and I didn't get around to finishing it. It makes everything so much clearer!

I love the tagline: "Justin Landon runs Staffer’s Book Review where his posts are less on-color." It took me a while to parse that.

Jennifer Read it, Thanks. Helpful.Makes sense. Now onto another trilogy!!