Indonesians Who Love English Books discussion

Specific Book / Author / Genre > ADVENTURES in June with Jules Verne & Lauren Oliver

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

Rachel (rachelhadeli) | 698 comments Mod
Guys, here's the thread for our June group read; Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea & Liesl and Po. SPOILERS will be posted, so lurk at your own risk.

To begin, why don't we talk about our first impressions of the books? What are you liking? What are you hating? Easy / hard? Sound off below!

message 2: by Reza, The Curator (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
I'm reading 20k Leagues and I'm still early, chapter 5. I like that its written in 1st person. I also like the actual scientific explanation of things. Looking forward to finish it this weekend.

Which one do u guys read?

message 3: by cindy (new)

cindy | 4 comments My first impression of Liesl & Po was it had a very nice illustrations. Love to see them all, but my fav was the picture of Liesl in the attic window as Will saw her.
Oh yeah..., and Liesl's word, Ineffable. =)

message 4: by shanghao (last edited Jun 08, 2012 10:53AM) (new)

shanghao (sanshow) | 126 comments Reza wrote: "I'm reading 20k Leagues and I'm still early, chapter 5. I like that its written in 1st person. I also like the actual scientific explanation of things. Looking forward to finish it this weekend.

..."

I'm just starting on 20TL, my edition is the Oxford one with lots of footnotes, so sometimes it can be disruptive to the reading flow, although some of the extra info's interesting. Won't finish this weekend, maybe next week? If the Euro cup isn't hogging my time.

message 5: by Rachel, First Lady (last edited Jun 10, 2012 06:16PM) (new)

I tried reading 20TL, and I just couldn't. So I've switched boats to my original choice. *fingerscrossed* that it's good! Hello adventure!

Addition to the post:

I'm 4 chapters in into Liesl & Po and my goodness, it's a gem! After reading Lauren Oliver's Pandemonium, it's hard to remember that she's actually a very, very good writer. It's so different from her Delirium series and Before I Fall (her best), but different in a good way.

And I have fallen completely in love with Po; I love that he wants to begin his meetings with Liesl with a hello and ends them with a goodbye. I also love his penchance to turn upside down when he's thinking. Too darn cute.

message 6: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

And so I've finished. I'll just wait till everybody does too before I start talking about it in detail :)

message 7: by christokristo (new)

christokristo (kristoo) | 22 comments I'm halfway through 20TL. This is very curious book. Though the adventure very exciting, since the main protagonist who also the narrator of the story is a marine biologist, he often describe many details in marine life which many of these species and plantation i do not recognize and so it is hard for me to follow.

I'm quite regret that I did not choose Liel & Po because i've reed one other Oliver's book and I enjoy her work. Nonetheless because I'm a sci-fi fan, I fell like I'm obliged to read classic 19th century sci-fi book at least once.

message 8: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

Well, you could always switch to Liesl & Po :) But since you are already halfway through 20TL, you might as well finish it.

Just few chapters in to 20TL, I admitted defeat and switched to Liesl & Po. No regrets there. Liesl & Po is such a great, fun read. Po is uhmazing.

message 9: by Reza, The Curator (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
20TL, still halfway thru. I ended up watching French Open over the weekend, oops.
And what about all those footnotes, eh? I'd tap and tap on every one of them and can be quite disruptive all right.

message 10: by Liwin (last edited Jun 12, 2012 01:13PM) (new)

Liwin Tjoa (liwintjoa) | 47 comments christokristo wrote: many details in marine life which many of these species and plantation i do not recognize and so it is hard for me to follow. ..."

Same here, I'm having a hard time reading 20TL. It's absolutely not an easy read. Too many details as the writing style was too difficult for me to follow. I just started to read fiction books last year & classics was too heavy for me yet.

@Reza RAFA NADAL!

message 11: by Raymond (new)

Raymond (rlagonda) | 13 comments sanshow wrote: "Reza wrote: "I'm reading 20k Leagues and I'm still early, chapter 5. I like that its written in 1st person. I also like the actual scientific explanation of things. Looking forward to finish it thi..."
Oh wow, can you post me the ISBN of your version :) is there something that explains about inconsistencies in measurement units? For most of the nautilus measurement Arronax used metric units and for distance measurement in contrary he used imperial units.

message 12: by Reza, The Curator (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
@Raymond oh I wasnt refering to the footnotes of my version, but rather Arronax's explanation of atmospheric pressure etc.

message 13: by Raymond (new)

Raymond (rlagonda) | 13 comments Reza wrote: "@Raymond oh I wasnt refering to the footnotes of my version, but rather Arronax's explanation of atmospheric pressure etc."
I get that feeling too and gosh JV just can't hold his catalog on hold for a while can't he? I've been waiting for someone to complain about this in this thread and offer my sincere high five. But still it was a good read and still is even after I reread it now maybe because part of me is a nerd ;) only now I learn that @sanshow mentioned about footnote that my version don't have so I kind of curious.

message 14: by shanghao (new)

shanghao (sanshow) | 126 comments @Reza: Mine was the Oxford edition: The Extraordinary Journeys: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea I guess it's more 'academic' than other editions.

The footnotes did explain about differences in measurements and additional references that JV used in his descriptions. For example, Conseil was actually named after one of JV's friends. They were really informative, but sometimes the footnotes take up too much page space and sort of disrupt my reading flow. I do think it's a good addition because many things I had no idea of and the footnotes helped me to better understand the world of 20TL.

I've only jus started and I like the old-school adventure atmosphere of it all, but it's too early to pass judgment. I'm watching the Euro Cup first!

message 15: by Raymond (new)

Raymond (rlagonda) | 13 comments sanshow wrote: "@Reza: Mine was the Oxford edition: The Extraordinary Journeys: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea I guess it's more 'academic' than other editions.

The footnotes did explain about differences ..."

Interesting.. I'll look into it. Thanks for the info.

message 16: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

Is anybody else reading Liesl and Po?

message 17: by Reza, The Curator (new)

Reza | 467 comments Mod
Here comes another weekend. Hope I have time for a good read.

message 18: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

Guys, June is almost over. How are we doing with our respective adventures? Let's discuss!

message 19: by Raymond (last edited Jun 27, 2012 08:52AM) (new)

Raymond (rlagonda) | 13 comments Rachel wrote: "Guys, June is almost over. How are we doing with our respective adventures? Let's discuss!"
I guess it sunk to 20 thousand leagues under Euro cup.

message 20: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (last edited Jul 01, 2012 06:09AM) (new)

Lynossa | 485 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "Guys, June is almost over. How are we doing with our respective adventures? Let's discuss!"

My June was busy with being lazy and visiting my grannie's place. I still read 20TL, however the story so far consists of animal classification and killing them *sad*
I wonder if there's real adventure in the story...

message 21: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

Now that the Euro cup is over, how are we faring with our June reads? Note guys, it's already July!

message 22: by christokristo (new)

christokristo (kristoo) | 22 comments yeah we may need to do poll for july's reading. do you think it is too late since now it is already 9th of july? we even have not decided which themes for july's reading.

message 23: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

I think we'll take a break in July; it seems like people are really struggling to finish their adventures. We can start polling for August in the Book Nominations thread :) I'll think of the genre.

message 24: by shanghao (new)

shanghao (sanshow) | 126 comments Rachel wrote: "I think we'll take a break in July; it seems like people are really struggling to finish their adventures. We can start polling for August in the Book Nominations thread :) I'll think of the genre."

Great idea! Maybe something cool for Aug? To beat the heat, so-called, hehe...