SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Shelly Laurenston
This topic is about Shelly Laurenston
Series and Authors We ❤ > Pride / Shelly Laurenston

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Jun 06, 2012 03:34AM) (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments So I didn't see this any where, but I didn't exactly go through every single thread so if this has been posted somewhere just let me know.

I have read the first book in the series

The Mane Event (Pride, #1) by Shelly Laurenston

I have the second, third and most recent book (7th). I got the sixth book from the library. I'm having trouble getting the books in between.

So my question is, is it okay to read the books out of order? Can I read the books I have access to without missing something in the most recent books.

Here is a complete list of the series:

The Mane Event (Pride, #1) by Shelly LaurenstonThe Beast in Him (Pride, #2) by Shelly LaurenstonThe Mane Attraction (Pride, #3) by Shelly LaurenstonThe Mane Squeeze (Pride, #4) by Shelly LaurenstonBeast Behaving Badly (Pride, #5) by Shelly LaurenstonBig Bad Beast (Pride, #6) by Shelly LaurenstonBear Meets Girl (Pride, #7) by Shelly Laurenston

message 2: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments You can read them out of order. You'll just get sneak peeks at some of the couples you haven't read about yet. As none of the pairings are a surprise and they are pretty much stock standard PNR that shouldn't be a problem.

It's up to you whether you can deal with it, and I know it would be OK with me if I did it :)

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments I can probably do it, and then go back and read the ones I can't get to later. I can't afford to buy books right now or I would have just bought them. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't vital to have information from the other books. I'm okay with knowing who the couples are, that's pretty much easy to figure out. Thank you for letting me know Sandra! :D

message 4: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments I've only read the first so I'll be interested to see how much you like them, then I can bump them up :P

message 5: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments Books 3, 4 and 5 are my 5-star faves.

message 6: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Isn't that always the way, eh? On the bright side Sarah, it means you can save the best books until last!

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments Darn, I don't have 4 or 5 :( haha. Yeah, Josie I guess that means I save the best for last!

message 8: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28233 comments Thanks for creating this thread, Sarah. I tweaked the title and location a bit, but please feel free to add any new series threads you do not find listed elsewhere.

I've read all of her PACK series, but only book 1 for her PRIDE and DRAGON KIN series. I love her writing. The characters in PACK cracked me up. Though I can imagine their sense of humor could be annoying to some.

I'm all about reading series in order. My OCDemoness squawks terribly when I don't. But, with a lot of these PNRs once I've read them all (or at least 4+) I realize it wouldn't necessarily be super spoilery if I did. Though there are several I highly recommend otherwise (ie: Psy-Changelings).

Hope you enjoy the ones you do find. :)

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments Thanks Steph! I wasn't sure if I should have created a thread like that so I'm glad you moved it!

I read her first book for her PACK series, but I do have all of those (plus those were easier on my wallet :D). I thought those were hilarious. I also have all of her DRAGON KIN series except for the most recent one but I haven't started it yet. My fiance actually read the first one and said it was funny. So I'm excited to read that too.

I'm like completely like that too where I have to read the series in order but I know that doesn't necessarily have to be the case with PNRs. This will be the first time I won't be reading a series in order. If I'm crunched on time I will have to read Bear Meets Girl before any of the other ones.

message 10: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Oh man, I have such a craving to read some Shelly Laurenston now...

message 11: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28233 comments Sarah wrote: "Thanks Steph! I wasn't sure if I should have created a thread like that so I'm glad you moved it!"

No worries, could'a left it as was, but decided to turn it into a series chat thread v. just a ? thread. :)

I think my husband may like her DK series. Not so sure he could tolerate the chicks on PACK though. ;)

Me too, Josie!

message 12: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 71 comments Sarah wrote: "So I didn't see this any where, but I didn't exactly go through every single thread so if this has been posted somewhere just let me know.

I have read the first book in the series

[bookcover:The..."

read them in order, you'll get more out of them and some will make more sense. I can send you the ones you don't have, as an epub, just need your email address.

message 13: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 71 comments Dragon Kin series is funny, and I normally don't go for book in the medieval setting, but I really liked these. The Magnus Pack series was good, and the Pride series is too. It's the humor that I like the most.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments Oh wow! Thank you so much Missyb! My e-mail is sarahd828@hotmail.com

I agree about the humor, it's nice to laugh and I don't think there are enough funny moments in some PNR.

message 15: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments I've read everything she's written, under both names, many, many times. As you've all said, its the humour I like.

No one mentioned Hunting Season (The Gathering #1) by Shelly Laurenston another good one ;)

And now I feel like a re-read, you evil SOSers you!!! LOL

message 16: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 151 comments There is also a short story in Belong To The Night and I have to say it's okay for me - but simply not as much fun as the other stories.
I would really read the series in order - especially the Dragon Kin thing; otherwise things might get a little confusing there.

message 17: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments Dragonkin definitely in order, but Pride is desirable but not essential to read in order.

It was a Smithtown story in Belong to the Night, wasn't it? From memory it was how the witches came to town.

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen (jadecross) | 11 comments I was hunting for new books to read at my local hunts and came across "Beast Behaving Badly" second hand. I couldn't put it down once I started reading it. Then I find out that its a book part way through a series. (I have a very bad habit of doing that with series)

I loved the humor and writing of this book and can't wait to have time to read more of Shelly Laurenston stuff.

I also didn't realize that Shelly Laurenston and G.A. Aiken were the same person *_* I have read almost all of the Dragon Kin books and have loved the all!

message 19: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28233 comments Oh, I have that one too, Sandra. I'd forgotten about his handsome self. ;)

message 20: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 151 comments Sandra wrote: "Dragonkin definitely in order, but Pride is desirable but not essential to read in order.

It was a Smithtown story in Belong to the Night, wasn't it? From memory it was how the witches came to town."

You're right, Sandra, it was about how the witches came to town and about the sheriff there. I'm relying on memory as well - I wasn't too impressed, just wanted to have it mentioned.

message 21: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28233 comments Hi, Fluttrbs! Welcome to the group!

message 22: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 71 comments Sarah wrote: "Oh wow! Thank you so much Missyb! My e-mail is sarahd828@hotmail.com

I agree about the humor, it's nice to laugh and I don't think there are enough funny moments in some PNR."

4, 5, 6 are on their way tonight. Sorry for the delay.

message 23: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments Shelly has created a web page with details of her characters & links to their books, as well as the organisations, for the Pride series. So you'll know who is mated to whom etc etc. It looks pretty useful ;)

http://shellylaurenston.com/series-li...

message 24: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28233 comments Cool! Thanks for sharing. :)

message 25: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments Oh good! Thanks.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments Has anyone read the latest one?

Wolf with Benefits (Pride, #8) by Shelly Laurenston

what did you think?

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments Thanks for sharing that Sandra, I wish I had seen it before I read Wolf with Benefits. It would have made remembering who was who a lot easier!

message 28: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments Yep, I enjoyed it but I know many peeps were not impressed. Every character in all her previous books appeared in this one and that put off a lot of people.

Personally, I felt it was more realistic. These shifters are moving in a small interconnected world and it just made sense to me that they'd know of each other even if they hadn't met personally.

I thought Shelly did a great job interweaving them all into a coherent story. And the prodigy children were a scream.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 1087 comments I think I was one of the ones kind of put off by all the people. I love the characters but I felt like it detracted from the love story. There were only a few moments where I could really see Ricky Lee and Toni together. Plus there weren't very many sexy scenes which, to be honest, I expected more of. It almost felt more UF than PNR.

I get what you're saying though. Everyone would be in everyone's business, it's like living in a small town.

I found the children hilarious too!

I still gave the book 4 stars because I love the series, even though I didn't really love this one that much.

I'm finding the same issues in her Dragon Kin series under her pseudonym G.A. Aiken. Too many people getting in the way of the love story.

message 30: by Karin Elisabeth (new)

Karin Elisabeth (goodreadscomkarinelisabeth) | 151 comments I actually didn't mind all the characters coming up. But I agree with Sarah - I really didn't see the intense attraction that most of the other couples had with each other.
The whole romance somehow felt lukewarm to me.
Otherwise I enjoyed the book, but it's definitely not on my re-read immediately list.

message 31: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23491 comments Yes, I agree that Ricki seemed a bit too laid back & Toni was oblivious for most of the book, it was all her brothers & sisters, not Ricki. It definitely did appear a lukewarm romance compared to the rest of the books.