Wild Palms Wild Palms discussion

what's going on at the end

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cait (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cait Flynn So, I finally picked up a Faulkner book. I've been told Faulkner is hard to get into, and he's so dark. I'm about 80 percent done with this book, and it's taking a turn for the worst. I'm just getting a little confused with his plot, and I can't see where he is going. He throws this crazy situation at you, like someone is on their death bed, and then he starts talking about details and scenery. I just don't get it. Maybe it will turn around for me.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Well, there are two stories in the copy I have: Wild Palms and The Old Man. Wild Palms was extraordinary. I thought it sang. Of course, you commented on this almost 2 years ago,so you might not even be around to read this. Comment back if you are. I would love to discuss the book and Faulkner in general

Vojtěch That is the original edition, with the two stories.

It's actually a pity when somebody prints them separately, as the contrast and point of the stories is quite amazing.

Both stories had an impression that the characters were in some kind of sleep seeing the world through they're own eyes that absolutely did not correspond with everyone else's view.

As to what Cait said: Faulkner might be hard to get into but he's not uncomprehensible, if you read carefuly, you won't miss anything - I admin that it's sometimes very hard to keep track of the story line and the current situation. A great example of this is when the prisoner is telling his story.

Anyways, this is a great book I would recommend to get to know Faulkner.