Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Plenty
This topic is about Plenty
Book Issues > Out of place other edition

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica-Robyn (new)

Jessica-Robyn | 6 comments In the other editions section for Plenty there is a book called "Delaware Wildlife". I have no idea how this got here or how to remove it, so I thought I put it out there for a more skilled librarian to tackle.

It's by a completely different author and on a different subject, so I can't see how these two could have been combined at some point, even mistakenly.

message 2: by Lobstergirl (last edited Jun 06, 2012 01:24AM) (new)

Lobstergirl Fixed. I've seen this happen a fair number of times over the last few months and I have no idea how it can happen, either.

message 3: by vicki_girl (last edited Jun 06, 2012 09:36AM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments I think it happens when the new imports have different data for that ISBN, either because of a duplicate ISBN, or data errors for that ISBN.

In this case a google search gives me both titles for that ISBN. In addition, the reviews seem to be for the food book. We might need to create an alternate cover/ISBN edition instead.

Link to book:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

Google Results:
http://www.google.com/search?q=158355...

message 4: by Jessica-Robyn (new)

Jessica-Robyn | 6 comments Thanks for the information! I can see what you're saying.

Second (even more curious) question, how did the reviews end up being about the cookbook? Even while it was combined with Plenty, wouldn't people still have to click on the "Delaware Wildlife" book in the editions to categorised their review under that specific edition?

I can understand combining them because of the mistake, but their must be a method of avoiding this or at least keeping a cookbook and a wildlife book from being under the same title. I'm sure some cooks might be put off by the idea of adding Delaware Wildlife to their meals. :P

message 5: by vicki_girl (last edited Jun 07, 2012 05:48AM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Looking at the change logs, the book was originally listed as the cookbook. People rated and reviewed that edition of the cookbook. However, it appears that there is a duplication of the ISBN. A user (not an import this time) had a different book or conflicting information for that same ISBN, and changed all the details to match their book/info. This is against Goodreads policy. They should have made a new entry instead.

Since this change was made in February and all the ratings/reviews were prior to that, I'm going to revert it back.

I will make an alternate for the Wildlife book though for completeness.