An Elf for All Centuries An Elf for All Centuries question

Social Issues in Comedy?
S.A. S.A. Jun 05, 2012 11:31PM
When I first turned in “An Elf for All Centuries”, I wondered why the hell did I write such a crazy book. Surely the weird time travel supermodel elf story was going to bounce right into the dreaded rejection Dumpster.

When Silver sent me a contract, I ran around screaming, then again I run around screaming no matter who extends me a contract. But when a story is this goofy, it feels like the diving board is much shorter and the pool much shallower.

Much to my delight, the acquisitions editor liked “An Elf for All Centuries” because the story seemed so different. She also liked that Prince Fabion, the shallow, self-centered supermodel, came to realize there was more to life than always caring about himself.

I remembered thinking, “wow, yes, Fabion does go through a serious transformation.”

In my having fun writing the comedic elements, the redemption element almost slipped under my writing radar.

I fully credit Fabion for discovering that he owned the spiritual capacity to grow. Wait, hold on, I think I waded in a little too deep into the aforementioned pool. Funny how the water returned to the depths. Here is a better description: by the novel’s end, Fabion wants to make other people happy. He wants to add to the new community he is now a part of in the nineteenth century, wants to help it grow.

Yes, Fabion did experience quite a change! Going from caring about if the hair is perfect to caring about other’s feeling is always a bonus in a character.

Aside from Fabion’s transformation, when I look at the novel, there are also environmental messages: saving the sea, stopping deforestation, global warming; not spelled out in blunt terms, but threaded throughout much of the novel. When the elves destroyed their contract with nature, all hell breaks lose.

Hmm, what are the humans currently doing to the earth?

There you go, as I chugged along, I never realize I was writing a book about self-transformation and the environment disguised as a romantic m/m comedy featuring an elven supermodel who saves the day. It just goes to show a writer never knows what will sneak up when the writing zone turns consuming.

Am I the only one who sees this in the book? I probably shouldn’t slap the book on the couch and examine it too closely, eh?

Elf as a supermodel?...as long as you intended it to be a little strange. I don't know if it's my thing but when it comes to romance I don't think tradition matters much to people. Personally I don't think supermodel is in the elf vocab,self centered and shallow perhaps...supermodel no.

Again,though your target audience probably won't care.

S.A. A little strange? This book is over the top strange. The tradition comes later when the shallow supermodel elf "gets it." ...more
Jun 07, 2012 11:02PM · flag