Sword Of Truth discussion

Jus' sayin'..

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mermarie (new)

Mermarie | 5 comments Darken Rahl > Richard Rahl. ;)

That is all.

LOL

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 53 comments Back it up :P

message 3: by Mermarie (new)

Mermarie | 5 comments Hah, I'm more partial to well-thought out villains than heroes!

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 53 comments I prefer Darken Rahl to Jagang. But mostly because I just didnt think "dream walker" was all that awesome an idea.

I personally always thought Darken Rahl was too arrogant. I mean, he had something like 66% failure rate to open the boxes of orden?

Thats not good odds!

I'm usually quite partial to villians myself, overpowered, chosen one, main characters are about a dime a dozen, but I actually liked Darken Rahl better on the TV show LOL.

I mostly enjoyed Sister Nicci as a villian, she was cool when she joined Richard as well, but I'd have loved a more up front version of Death's Mistress.

I dont know - I like my villians with a more dodgy or tragic backstory. Darth Vader or Lord of the Nazgul comes to mind.

message 5: by Mermarie (last edited Jun 06, 2012 03:36PM) (new)

Mermarie | 5 comments I prefer Darken Rahl as the main villain, because he was purpose driven and meaningful and I'm all about productive evil. His vengeful antics were devised in revenge of his loved ones(I'm a creature who fully understands vindictiveness!)--as opposed to mindless douchebaggery(AKA Jang). His every thought and notion, were in regards to his bloodlines. Jang ruled with sheer intimidation and brute force alone--but once any certain tactic confronted those weak foibles, he was brought low.

Darken Rahl's backstory suited me just fine with its family ties, instead of the melodramatics and lack of seriousness Star Wars conveyed to me. Mind you, Star Wars has its place in my heart--and I'll forever throw Darth Vader's voice into a fan, when nobody else is 'round to witness it, but his ruthless angle wasn't as convincing as some.

As a personal choice, I've forbidden myself to view that show, in pure, diehard fangirl fashion, albeit I'm grateful it's drawn attention to the SoT books!

Nicci's personal triumphs were definitely commendable all in all; her trials to overcome spiritual defeat and vacuous sense of 'self' were noteworthy and I found her well defined. Despite that, Shota was the true powerhouse villainess. A sideline character true, but elusive and unaffiliated with the main characters. She was Richard's truest rival; and had a tendency of tempering his power when it suited her. She was the checks & balances, but man-eaters hardly ever win over heroes.

message 6: by Marina (new)

Marina Fontaine (marina_fontaine) | 98 comments I find most authors have a hard time creating memorable and well developed heroes. Villains are just easier to make more interesting, in part because there are so many different ways of being evil but a "good" person is more predictable. Given that, I think Goodkind actually succeeds, especially with Richard and Kahlan in creating heroes who are not only multi-dimentional, but also grow and develop in the course of the story.

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 53 comments Yes, I preferred Darken Rahl as well. Jagang, though I disagree, that he was all brute. He demonstrated, in my opinion, a few times that he was more intellegent than that, being a brute was a front he put up...you know. Apply Wizards first Rule. His army was more of full on brute. Though I did find him overly brainwashed and by the end of the series considered Brother Narev the real problem. Without him, seems the whole imperial order never would have sprung into existance as it did.

Jagang's plans worked well on Sisters of the dark and even Kahlan a couple times. In the end of the series he almost even beat Richard, but of course as usual Richard figures it out last minute and becomes the victor. (Though he was fully ready to sacrifice his own life)

I will also say, I watched Legend of The Seeker before I read the novels. It was part of the reason I finally delved into them. After reading them the show is not nearly as enjoyable. Too much creative license was given out to the writers of the show, I can see why it flopped with fans of the book series. I wouldnt have liked it at all if I'd read the novels first.

I thought Darken Rahl was given more prominence in the show though and you got a better picture of what sort of character he was. Where as in the novels, I felt like Terry used a lot of "shock value" writing techniques surrounding his character instead of actual character development. His interaction with the Keeper is minimal, his explanation of Panis Rahl's death is short and more fully expounded by Zedd than by Rahl. Though I did enjoy him turning out to be Richard's father. Even if that is a total Star Wars rip off.

It was at least done in a fashion so it was surprising.

I dont know if I should go into my argument as to why Darth Vader is a far more developed and interesting character. I admit, in my mind, he's the ultimate villian. Ranting on him in a SOT forum though seems like a dick move lol. Lets just say, in my opinion, he had more emotional value invested in his series and thus was more relatable. That led to him translating into a villian more unexpectedly and epically. Darken Rahl was evil from Day 1 so of course we all wanted him to die and lose and what-not. Panis Rahl was just as evil - so in all finality its hard to draw emotional lines to there family other than hatred, which I find sort of boring in a villian.

I like to feel like the villian has reason for being evil. Darken Rahl may have wanted to avenge his fathers death, but they were both evil from the start and he wasnt trying to avenge a wrong, he was just insane and lusted after power for his own benefit. Which is fairly cliche in the world of villians. (IMHO)

Nicci is an enjoyable character and so is Shota, though at this point, I wouldnt really consider either a villianess of the story. Shota always tried to help Richard in her own way. She never really wanted to hurt him, only let him know, that he wasnt going to be tricking her like a certain other Wizard. (*coughZeddcough*)

She was a decent rival to him though, but overall a friendly one. Just as Nicci really turned out to just be a compliment to Richard's power. Even when Shota threatens to kill Richard and Kahlan's child if it is a boy, it really isnt a threat. Its a promise. A promise that Richard will never have to go through pain of killing his own child and that she would allow him to blame and hate her instead. Which in a twisted way is kind of nice.

I could go on....but I think this post is probably too long already LOL

message 8: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 53 comments Masha wrote: "I find most authors have a hard time creating memorable and well developed heroes. Villains are just easier to make more interesting, in part because there are so many different ways of being evil ..."

Precisely why I enjoy the Anti-Hero above all else. Less predictable and morally objectable.

message 9: by Mermarie (new)

Mermarie | 5 comments Hey girls, Goodkind's newest book is releasing sometime in July(I think), any ideas or predictions on what you think it'll be?

I'm hoping it's a continuation of SoT or their story. =.= I somehow, don't see it happening though.

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 53 comments someone on here posted they thought it would be about the first confessor.

Which would be cool...although I agree I'd much rather read more SOT or whatever he's calling it now-a-day.

I havent even watched the little video they did with it yet, so I have no idea. But the First Confessor would make sense as it seems to come into play quite a bit especially toward the end of Chainfire Trilogy.

message 11: by Mermarie (new)

Mermarie | 5 comments 100some odd chapters... he must have been working on it during Omen(?), and it doesn't make sense unless it's a prequel sort of story, like you said. I mean, if I were writing two stories at once, it would be rather difficult to keep them separate, unless, of course--he just kept writing after Omen ended?

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 53 comments I agree. He'd have to be a really fast writer or already have had the story of Omen Machine mapped out to write both at the same time.

Although I wouldnt mind if he went ahead and put out a couple books a year or at least one a year til he dies LOL. I enjoy the whole world of SOT very much. All the characters have their compelling points and what can I say...13 novels in right now and he's sucked me in.

Most likely though i'd say another prequal, he has a ton of historical figures that would be interesting to throw into the mix.

Maybe its an extension of Lo9's...I hear that was supposed to be a trilogy in the end?