MHSHS Reading Group discussion

The Kite Runner

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lanier (new)

Lanier | 56 comments Mod
How does Baba express or overcome his failures denying his son and begin to atone for unreasonable treatment?

When did Sanaubar accept her bad ways and begin her sojourn toward redemption?

When did Amir begin his cathartic journey through redeeming himself begin?

How did religion play a role in that aspect of Amir's redemption?

message 2: by Svitlana (new)

Svitlana | 5 comments Amir's regret for being a coward at one point and let someone who is willing to die for him haunted him ever since. Just like Baba said that "every sin is a variation of theft" proves once more its true importance. The lie hurt and brought fatal consequences on beloved people within his family. Amir's redeeming I believe never stopped ever since his childhood and the field scene. His emotional struggle of what the life could of been if he would have defended Hassan always stayed in his mind. Amir's American life and success didn't prevent him from returning to his homeland. Amir lost Hassan, who loved him as true brother. All the losses caused Amir to lose those by who he was loved and it is a starting point for Amir to grant love to someone special, someone who still brings the memories of Hassan......

message 3: by Lanier (last edited Jan 07, 2009 02:31AM) (new)

Lanier | 56 comments Mod
Well put, Svitlana! Many would agree that his redemption began with his guilt manifesting itself as insomnia (86), or even before with his own questioning of why he tricked Hassan with words like "imbecile".

I love that you haven't given anything away, you've answered this so that those who have NOT finished the novel will get that same "ah-ha" feeling.

Like Catharsis, Redemption or the act of being redeemed or atoned happens in STAGES.

1. Doing something wrong, hurting another, Othering, or denying something even happened.

2. Admitting you have wronged, neglected or otherwise hurt another.

3. Trying to make things right (this isn’t always successful)

4. Once you have shown remorse for past actions AND

5. Those you’ve wronged have FORGIVEN you,

6. Can you feel better about this “cleansed” NEW YOU.

7. Often the offender will do acts of "good will" to try to reverse the bad things they've done.

EXAMPLES of characters who have or achieved/trying to achieve ATONEMENT are:

a. The TV show “My Name is Earl”

b. The novella “A Christmas Carol”, by Charles Dickens

c. The movie “Scrooged” with Bill Murray

d. Jesus Christ is said to have died to atone for Adam and Eve’s Original Sin of Disobedience

With the exception of Jesus, these are all about BAD people who have come to realize their ‘evil” ways and find forgiveness from others and themselves on their way to making amends.

As one reads “Kite” and other powerful novels- "The Color Purple", "The Bumblebee Flies Anyway", "Different Seasons"-we, the reader, go through CATHARTIC stages along with one or more of the characters:

5 stages of Grief:
1. Denial
2. Anger or “Why ME!?”
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

OR

Catharsis
1. A Revelation
2. Intense Emotions (Denial, Anger, fear, grief)
3. Understanding
4. Acceptance
5. Making Amends—violent reaction = flagellation

When one reaches that “Ah-Hah!” moment of accepting what has happened, what they have done and made amends, then one is FREE of guilt and FREE to move on with one’s life.

Think about these other characters above, including Rahim Khan, when discussing the many ways that they have redeemed OR tried to redeem themselves. Additionally, remember Stephen King's "Rita Hayward and the Shawshank Redemption", "The Body", "Apt Pupil"; Alice Walker's "The Color Purple" and other IRBs to discuss similarities between those characters' cathartic sojourns through atonement and how they may correlate to Amir's, Baba's or Sanaubar's.

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee | 4 comments On page 318 Sohrab questions Amir whether or not God will send him to hell, and this shows intense emotion. Not only because he is a very quite boy, but because he feels a sense of shame and almost afraid that he too is a bad person. Amir soon makes it clear that if anything he is the bad one and that the world has been mean to Sohrab and not the other way around. I believe being honest with Sohrab and consoling him is a way to gain some redemption back for Amir, and “to be good once again”, in the words of Rahim Khan.

message 5: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylarprice) | 2 comments This book was very interesting. There was a lot of tragedy and love at the same time. When Kamal dies in the fuel tank on the way to Afghanistan, his father is so upset because he lost all of his family and he thought that if there was no one left for him to love, he had no purpose. The tragedy of this is that he shoots himself with his gun. The children in this book have gone through very degrading times like getting raped, and as an eight or ten year old being told that their mother sleeps around with people. Khaled Hosseini has a way of description that makes you feel like you are there as a bystander in every part of the story.

message 6: by Sanum (new)

Sanum | 19 comments "Then I saw Baba do something I had never seen him do before. He cried. It scared me a little, seeing a grown man sob. Fathers weren't supposed to sorry. "Please", Baba was saying but Ali had already turned to the door, Hassan trailing him. I'll never forget the way Baba said that, the plea, the fear."
-Page 107

It's so Ironic. I never expected Baba to cry. I guess Hassan and Ali are very important to Baba. I can just imagine Baba pleading. It makes me think that Amir must have been jealous when Baba cried for Hassan and Ali. Amir must have also been jealous because Baba forgave Hassan for stealing (Even though he didn’t), and Baba said stealing was the worst sin of all. I can imagine how Amir must feel, but Baba is really sad and he is so attached to Hassan and Ali. Baba wants them to stay!
It makes me think Baba would never cry for Amir the way he cried for Hassan so there must be something deep between them if not a relation. Amir is really jealous of Hassan but then again Amir always thinks about Hassan and is reminded of him everywhere, everything he does, everything he sees remind him of Hassan in a way. Amir lost Hassan because of his jealousy of Hassan and admiration of his Baba. Amir starts his journey of redemption when he finds out the truth about Hassan and what has happened to the boy that he called his best friend. Amir then finally realizes how much of a precious friend and selfless and forgiving friend he had.

message 7: by Sutapa (new)

Sutapa | 4 comments Amir began his cathartic journey through redeeming himself by giving money to the poor on his way to Afghanistan. On his way to Afghanistan Amir met this guy on the street that knew his mother. The guy on the street was asking for money and Amir gave it to him as a way of redeeming himself. Another way Amir redeemed himself was by taking Sohrab back to America. Even though Amir did care about Sohrab, a part of Amir that made him take Sohrab back was because he felt guilty about not doing anything to help Hassan when he got raped. After he found out that Hassan was his half brother he wanted to do something to make himself feel better. This was Amir’s way of redeeming himself.

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 4 comments Amir began his journey to redeeming himself by physically go back to his homeland. When he was there he found that Rahim Khan had a secret to tell him that was kept from him for years, that Hassan was his brother. There was something else that Rahim hadn’t told him, that Hassan was murdered. Hassan left behind a son who’s name was Sohrab. He was sent to save Sohrab who was back in Afghanistan. Amir didn’t realize how risky that journey was going to be. He ended up having to fight for Sohrab. In the process of getting beaten up Amir was laughing. He was laughing because then and there he felt forgiven. He was ecstatic because in his eyes he was finally getting what he deserved, and it felt good. By the end of this story Amir was released from all the guilt he was under and finally felt free.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 20 comments The Kite Runner was a very deep and interesting book to read about how your conscience can stick with you forever and ruin your life. Since Amir witnesses Hassan’s rape and does nothing about it, he feels guilty for betraying his loyal best friend but can not tell the truth to protect himself. What Amir witnesses, sticks with him for the rest of his life and leaves him hurt inside. Baba, who has spent his entire life trying to make Amir into what he views as a “man”. In doing so, he pushes Amir to a point where love does not exist. I think that putting blame on Hassan to get him fired was just another reason to have Baba all to himself. However, when Amir and Baba is in America, with no one close, they begin to relay on one another. Each one of them softens up and sacrifices towards each other. Baba gets Amir a car for college and finally starts to treat him as a real son, not just a failure. Even though Baba disapproves of Amir’s story writing, he still manages not to give him a hard time and act very proud to others. Amir is much happier in America for the new start while and Baba was not even. He had been struggling with this new life. Amir asked Baba if they would like to move back to their country but Baba refuses to do so. This was another sacrifice made that helped Amir plenty. I think that Baba felt guilty for his negligence of Amir during his child hood and is now trying to make up for it now.

message 10: by Lanier (new)

Lanier | 56 comments Mod
Ladies! Wow, some very insightfully deep analysis, but tell me how you're really feeling--(lol). During today's class discussion with P1 and P7 some of the other scholar proposed that Amir's journey may have begun far sooner than returning to Afghanistan via Rahim Khan and Pakistan. Can others expound upon these possible earlier attempts at atonement (spiritual, emotional and personal)?

message 11: by Naurin (new)

Naurin | 3 comments I think Amir is going through a personal, physical and emotional journey at this time after meeting Rahim Khan and is in search of Hassan's son. He is quite emotional now because he just faced horrible news of Hassan's death - the person who he has grown up with and owes so much to. Also, Amir is going through a physical change now because at this point in time, Amir has to go to Kabul to go get Sohrab and bring him to Rahim Khan. Also Amir is going through personal change because now his whole life has changed knowing the fact that Hassan is his half - brother and Amir's whole life was a lie. This get's me so excited and makes me want to keep on reading more and more to find out about every one else and what Amir's next actions will be. If I was put into Amir's shoes now after Baba's death, Rahim Khan's last few days, and Hassan's death, I would really not know what to think of and what to do. I most likely would be depressed and regret everything I did not do like save Hassan while he get raped. Specially I just find out that he is my half brother and I treat him bad when he has done and sacrificed himself so many times for me. These are some chaotic emotions now.

message 12: by Pgao (new)

Pgao | 2 comments Sanaubar accepted her bad ways during her incognito life. No one had seen her since 1964. She had experienced stages of catharsis. From her conversation with Rahim Khan and Hassan, one can see that she admitted the bad things she had done and wanted Hassan to forgive her. She began her sojourn toward redemption after Sohrab was born. Sohrab became the center of Sanaubar’s world. She took great care of Sohrab, she made toys for her grandson, and they became inseparable until Sanaubar’s death. One can inferred that Sanaubar’s love to Sohrab was reparation for Hassan.. She couldn’t do her job as a mother when Hassan was young, but Sohrab gave her a chance to become a great grandmother. The atonement for Sanaubar was being a responsible grandmother. Sohrab’s birth was Sanaubar’s sojourn toward redemption’s began.

message 13: by Katelin (new)

Katelin | 1 comments Baba feels horrible about what he did to his son over the years. So he decided to build an orphanage to help all the parentless children, also he gave out money to the people less fortunate than him. He did this so he could repay back everything he didn’t do for his son.

message 14: by Jahziel (last edited Jan 13, 2009 05:15PM) (new)

Jahziel | 3 comments Amir’s journey to forgiveness is not only a physical journey, but it is also an emotional one. The day Amir witnessed Hassan’s assault, he did nothing but just looked on. I know Amir was a very coward little boy, but part of me believes that he wanted this to happen, due to all the love Baba gave to Hassan, Amir was jealous. Now that his lies drove Hassan and Ali away, he’s desperate for forgiveness. But fortunately for him, Rahim Khan calls him back to his homeland and tells him, “There’s a way to be good again”. At this point, Amir is in luck to be forgiven for his terrible sin. Now that his physical journey has begun Amir encounters many risky situations. Not only does he have to search for Sohrab, Hassan’s son but Amir finds out an unbelievable surprise that would change his life forever. “The Kite Runner”, is in deed is a very phenomenal story.

message 15: by Thomas (last edited Jan 13, 2009 03:40PM) (new)

Thomas (Thomasgorczyn) | 1 comments Through grief, Religon helped Amir on his road to redemption. He had already been depressed about Sohrab, so he went through the bargainning stage and prayed for the first time in 15 years. He was not very religous, and Baba wasn't either, but when he heard about Sohrab, he knew there was a god. He was willing to do anything for Sohrab to survive. He realized that Baba was right, which was the final phase, acceptance.

message 16: by Ling (new)

Ling | 4 comments How did religion play a role in that aspect of Amir's redemption?

Amir and Baba were not religious. Baba even told Amir to "never learn anything of value from those bearded idiots."(p.17) However, after Amir went back to Afghanistan to redeem himself of his betrayal, to him, the meaning of religion changed. He believed, or forced to believe that there really is a God because he could help nothing. At that moment, the religion gave him the spiritual supporting. Amir had totally gone nuts after Sohrab's suicide. Depression, anxiety, and intranquil rushed through him. It was then the religion gave him the emotional distraction. He prayed toward west, recited the only few words from Quran that he remembered, repented, asked God for forgiveness, and wanted no more other than Sohrab. His physical actions showed his way of redemption.

message 17: by Iqra (last edited Jan 15, 2009 02:49PM) (new)

Iqra In "The Kite Runner" written by Khaled Housseni Amir began cathartic journey through redeeming himself by having the phone call that came from Rahim Khan. All of Amir's past came back alive haunting him once more. Amir felt very guilty about what he had done to Hassan. Amir never had a chance to apologize to Hassan and for what he did. For him it was a way to be good again. When Amir found out Hassan was his half brother, he regretted not speaking up even more. Hassan was a loyal brother, he looked out for Amir and when even when Hassan was raped he never blamed Amir and gave his kite back to him. After Amir found out all this he knew he had to do something to save Sohrab for Hassan, since Sohrab is his nephew. Amir knew it was a way Hassan will forgive him."Its a way too be good again"(Page 2) shows how much Amir wanted his past, to be well forgotten and to tell himself, he did something he wouldn't regret while he was regretting what he did to Hassan

message 18: by Laureen (new)

Laureen | 2 comments When did Amir begin his cathartic journey through redeeming himself begin?

"The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini holds many powerful and strong life lessons. Like stories there's always a turning point. In the beginning of the story Amir's characteristic is very tense and he seems like the didn't care about anything but himself. Amir found this true about hiself because when we looked back on his childhood all he cared about was his safety, he didn't even care about Hassan. "Come home. There is a way to be good again," Rahim Khan told Amir. At these spoken words, Amir realizes that he should do something good so he doesn't have to feel so guilty throughout his life. If he doesn't do anything for others', for him life was nothing but being a "coward." Amir begins his catharic journey through redeeming hiself when he goes back to his homeland. Amir goes back to save Hassan's son, Sohrab, from all the tragic back home. Though Amir had not said goodbye to Hassan in the best way he could've, the only he could really do is save Sohrab. Amir basically put out his life to save Sohrab. Another example, he redeems hiself is when he interwines with poor and homeless people in the street he offers them money. It was a good way of redeeming himself. Therefore, we all can infer that life has a funny way of redeeming ourselves.

message 19: by Sanum (new)

Sanum | 19 comments Mr. carson Lol??? WOW, ok but anyways i think Amir could have started his journey of redeeming himself maybe right when Hassan left, because he felt bad all the time after that, or when Hassan got raped, he would always think about it! and feel bad!

message 20: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandy6694) | 5 comments How did religion play a role in that aspect of Amir's redemption?

At first, when Amir was about 10 and younger, he believed what he was supposed to believed in, which was in Allah. Afterward when Baba had a conversation with him, Baba told him that in this world, there's no God, "there is only one sin, only one. And that is theft." Baba told Amir in page 17 of the book "The Kite Runner." After Amir knew what Baba believe in, he stopped believing in Allah, and stop doing what a Muslim should do.
But then, in the end of te book, Amir realized that he HAD to trust God, he just had to. Amir pray again for Sohrab when he was in the hospital because of him suiciding. Amir hoped that Allah will save Sohrab, that's when Amir started to believe in God again. Amir start believing that God had "always been there." God gave Amir spiritual supportings. Amir believed in GOd again when he believe that Sohrab can only saved by God. He bargains to the God, he was angry with himself for trying to get Sohrab hurt again. Amir also went through depression, he was sad when Sohrab suicide. Also, Amir wanted God's forgiveness for the lies and betrayals be had.
Amir was religious after Sohrab was healing, Amir did what he promised God, that he will pray, fast, go to Mecca, and do all those things Muslims would have to do. He forgave himself and he believed that God forgave him because now, everything was great. The happy ending.

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 1 comments When did Amir begin his cathartic journey through redeeming himself begin?

Amir begins his cathartic journey through redeeming himself when he threw berries at Hassan. Because he wanted Hassan to get back at him and beat him up because he felt bad for him not doing anything about it. Amir watched Hassan get raped by Assef in the alley. Therefore this shows catharsis

message 22: by Haewon (last edited Jan 15, 2009 01:20PM) (new)

Haewon | 4 comments What had to happen in order for Sanaubar to be redeemed?

On page 210-211, in order for Sanaubar to be redeemed, Sanaubar cried saying, “coming back had been a mistake, maybe even a worse one than leaving,” when she met Hassan. But Hassan didn't tell her to leave, which meant that he forgave her. Sanaubar was the one to deliver Sohrab, she sewed clothes for him, and she also built him toys from different materials. Most importantly, she took a good care of Sohrab. When Sohrab had a fever, she stayed up all night just for him. Also, she prayed and fasted for him to stay healthy. Sanaubar’s sins were forgiven from Hassan. After when Sohrab was four years old, Sanaubar died in her sleep, peacefully.

message 23: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 2 comments The Kite Runner is a very profound book to read about and shows you a lot of friendship and redemption issues and how a lot of what you do with your courage can affect your life. In Amir’s childhood, he faced a lot of situations where he did not have the courage to stick out his neck for anybody else, even his best friend (and half-brother) Hassan. One of them was seeing Hassan getting gang raped by Assef, a cruel bully, and his friends, but he cowardly did ran from it. After that, his whole life had felt empty, full of regret and yearned to only be forgiven by Hassan. Amir first began his cathartic journey through redeeming himself again by interestingly, trying to hit Hassan with pomegranate fruits from their tree, in order to feel forgiven. When Hassan did not hit back, Amir felt even worse and empty. Later on in his life, he visited back his homeland and tries to save Sohrab, Hassan’s son, when he unexpectedly gets a call from Rahim Khan telling Amir that he has a way to be good again. Also, he tries to redeem himself by offering the poor and homeless people in the street money and being nice to them. True, even though Rahim Khan said to Amir that there was a way to be good again by saving Sohrab, I don’t really think Amir can truly ever forgiven of the sin, unless Hassan has forgiven him. Traumatizing as the experience of being gang raped, especially not having your best friend help you, I would think that Hassan, as warm hearted as he seems, would never truly, completely forgive Amir, even if he was alive, and had said he would forgive.

message 24: by Muyiwa (new)

Muyiwa | 7 comments

Amir began his cathartic journey through redeeming himself by traveling back to Afghanistan in order to save Hassan’s son, Sohrab. However, it is impossible for Amir to begin a cathartic journey because Amir cannot take back Hassan’s emotional and physical pains from being assaulted by Aseef. Hassan is dead in the story when Amir attended to Rahim Khan’s request of leaving the U.S. in order to save Sohrab. Amir took Sohrab away from Aseef and felt cleansed from all of his guilt, but really, helping Hassan with his son is not a real redemption. In order to be redeemed, you have to be forgiven. Amir fighting Aseef to defend Sohrab must have been his own form of self-satisfaction, but if Hassan was not able to have his self-satisfaction, Amir still has unatoned sins. He had waited too long to ask for forgiveness.

message 25: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (babe13) | 2 comments Amir went back to Kabul and heard a lot of things and secrets held between the families. He found out that Baba’s son was Hassan which made Amir and Hassan half- brothers. Hassan therefore died and married a Hazara woman who gave birth to their son Sohrab. For all those times too Rahim Khan hid it from Hassan and Amir. Amir was really mad at Baba pretending he wasn’t the father of Hassan and hid it from him till he died. Also for Rahim Khan, who was Baba’s best friend in Kabul and knew everything all along and hid it from Amir Khan too. Amir felt really ashamed too for watching Hassan being raped by Assef while he witnessed the rape but never did anything. Now that he found out that they were half brothers it was even worse and didn’t know how to redeem for his sins. Rahim Khan therefore told Amir that there is one way to be good again by finding Sohrab, Hassan son from the orphanage to a better place. Also by accepting and forgiving Rahim Khan, Baba and mostly himself. Amir was able to find Sohrab, adopted him and did what he wanted to do for a long time, flying the kite. This time, it was for sohrab.

message 26: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 3 comments When did Amir begin his cathartic journey through redeeming himself begin?

Amir begins his cathartic journey when he throws the pomegranate at Hassan and wants him do retaliate on him. He does this because he feels bad about watching Hassan get raped by Assef in the alley after the kite competition. That us only a small part but a bigger part is him find his nephew (Sohrab) in Afghanistan and bringing him back. This shows him through his journey because instead of leaving him their he fights ti bring him back with him to California. When he brings him back he tries to make things better by spending time with him and doing what's right.

message 27: by Hannifah (new)

Hannifah | 1 comments Lanier wrote: "How does Baba express or overcome his failures denying his son and begin to atone for unreasonable treatment?

When did Sanaubar accept her bad ways and begin her sojourn toward redemption?

..."

I think Baba has always been trying to atone for his failures and unreasonable treatment. From him opening an orphanage to him lending out money. through out the book he is always trying to balance out his debt to his sons. But his biggest mistake is not owning up to his neglect.

message 28: by Xing (new)

Xing | 4 comments “The Kite Runner” by Khaled Hosseini, it is a great book. Amir was not religious. Amir was influence by his father when he was little. Baba didn’t believe in God. “They do nothing but thumb their prayer beads and written in a tongue they don’t even understand.” (P17) Baba didn’t believe the Five Pillars, and the message from God. Just like Baba, Amir didn’t do any of the Five Pillars. However, Amir started to change when the doctor told Amir that Baba probably had cancer. At the night, Amir preyed to a God which he wasn’t sure if He existed. (P154) Amir believed in God when he was hopeless, when he couldn’t do anything to change the facts. Amir preyed to God when he couldn’t defeat the sickness, he didn’t want to lose the most important person in his life. Amir’s cathartic journey began when he went back to Afghanistan to save Sohrab. Amir’s faith changed completely when he was in the hospital after Sohrabs’s suicide. (P345) At that moment he realized that his father was wrong, there is a God, and He is always there. Amir preyed, he compressed to God, and he asked God for his forgiveness. He promised God that he would do anything to get Sohrab back. For Amir believed in God was one of the ways to redeem, at least in emotional, it made he felt a little better for his sin. After Sohrab was healing, he became a faithful Muslim.

message 29: by Shenshen (new)

Shenshen | 2 comments 1. Baba express or overcome his failures denying his son and begin to atone for unreasonable treatment by being extremely nice to the people in his home town. Baba knew that he had been treated his son badly, so he built a building for the homeless children, donated money to the schools and anywhere need money. He even lend people money and didn't bother to chase the money back at all! Now the whole world owned him something. He was the power of the village!Also like Hannifah said, Baba had been trying to keep the balance between his sons from the beginning of the book. However, he could still feel the guilt for what he had done.

message 30: by Jacob (new)

Jacob | 1 comments Religion played a role in the aspect of Amir's redemption in different events of the book. Amir was mislead as a child by Baba explaining to him that there is no god and Allah is not real in this world. Later on at that end of the book Amir made was very scared about the death of Sohrab and made a promise to Allah that he would pray five times a day everyday if he let Sohrab live. I feel that it took Amir a long time to give him self up to Allah and for his religion and that only when he needed something is when he would pray. Amir knew that Baba was wrong about his views on Islam. I think that when Sohrab started getting better Amir and Sohrab's view on religion got stronger and restarted their belief in Islam.

message 31: by Khalid (new)

Khalid | 7 comments How did religion play a role in that aspect of Amir's redemption?

In Khaled Hosseini's "The Kite Runner" Amir experienced a lot of pain and intense emotions throughtout his childhood. When Amir was a child he was mislead by ,his father, Baba. Baba made sure that Amir didn't believe in God and while having a conversation he said "You'll never learn anything of value from those bearded idiots" "They do nothing but thumb their prayer beads and recite a book written in a tongue they don't even understand." Even since then Baba and Amir didn't follow the Five Pillars. Once Baba died and Amir was told that he had brothers,he went through the 5 stages of Grief but mostly denial because he couldn't believe what had happened to his father and what Rahim Khan told him.Religion played a huge role in Amir road to redemption because when Rahim Khan said that he can "be good once again," I think he got confidence that God gave him another chance in life. Then he started to pray again after keeping Sokhrab alive and that gave Sohrab and himself a better view of the ways of Islam.

message 32: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 3 comments Amir's cathartic journey through redeeming himself began throughout his childhood right after the tragic mistake happened to Hassan (rape). I guess it didn't really ever stop; it just went by throughout his life. Witnessing his own best friend/half-brother get raped was difficult for Amir because he didn’t stand up for him. Amir can think of many times when Hassan stood up for him risking his own life just for him. Amir watched him get raped and didn’t do nothing at all, but feel guilty/sad.

Most of his life Amir feels guilt. The guilt haunts him because if he did defend his brother everything would be different. Different as in maybe Hassan would still be alive and lived in America with his own family like Amir. Sometimes he thinks it’s his fault for not defending Hassan and he believes he cost him his life. Babas words state. Everything would be less complicated if Amir would have done took an action toward Assef.

message 33: by Seamus (new)

Seamus | 6 comments 4.) When did Amir begin his cathartic journey through redeeming himself begin?

I think Amir began his cathartic journey through redeeming himself when he goes up the hill to the pomegranate tree with Hassan. He tries to reconcile with Hassan and tells Hassan that he is 'going to read Hassan a story he wrote.' Suddenly he started asking Hassan what he would do if Amir threw a pomegranate at him. Then Amir had a burst of rage and threw a pomegranate at Hassan. He screamed at Hassan to hit him back and stand up for himself. He got angrier and hurled another pomegranate at Hassan. Finally Hassan, all bloodied and weak, got up, picked up a pomegranate and crushed it on his own forehead. He screamed at Amir, “Are You satisfied? Do you feel better?” He turned around and marched down the hill. This is the beginning of Amir’s cathartic journey to redemption because after Hassan was raped, Amir stopped spending time with him. This is also the beginning of Amir’s cathartic journey to redemption because he wanted to feel the pain that Hassan felt and also wanted to take away some of the guilt.

message 34: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicoleespiritu) | 2 comments WHEN DID AMIR BEGIN HIS CATHARTIC JOURNEY THROUGH REDEEMING HIMSELF?
*Amir began his cathartic journey through redeeming himself when Hassan was raped. This accident became an unforgettable phobia to him. He felt like he should have done something to stop the men who raped his best friend. He thought that this would have made him a better person. Guilt was built-up inside of him. He was terribly traumatized.

message 35: by Eliza Brittni (new)

Eliza Brittni | 4 comments Question: How does Baba express or overcome his failures of denying his sons and begin to atone for unreasonable treatment?

Baba overcomes his failures of denying his sons by trying to redeem himself. Many characters weren’t told that Hassan was his son, they never new, and neither did Hassan. Baba use to say that stealing was the only and worst sin. It was ironic how he committed this “sin” so many times, that it seems like there is no way to redeem. Maybe telling Hassan about him being his father would have cleansed that sin, if Hassan forgave him. That can’t happen though, because Hassan is dead. Baba can’t tell Hassan that secret and Hassan can’t forgive him for “stealing” from Ali, since Baba slept with Ali’s wife and produced a child (Hassan). Baba bought Hassan everything Amir got and tried to treat them as equal as possible. It was clear however that Baba treated Hassan better and favored him more, even though Hassan “wasn’t his son”. Baba thought of Amir as weak and even though “this was his son” didn’t show the same affection. In my opinion it was because Baba tried to redeem himself being as nice as possible and wanting to be as loving as he can, since he couldn’t be Hassan's real father. There were other times he tries to redeem, like when he helps people in Kabul start their business and when he builds an orphanage for children that had their parents “stolen”. Baba did even more things during his life to rid his sin in Kabul. He was a rich man in Kabul, I believe he new that he didn’t deserve this because he hasn’t been “pure”. This is why he gave money out like water, to help the less lucky. He sacrifices all his wealth for Amir to have a better life, he knows that the way he is living, in poverty, working hard everyday, in America is his real fate. This is how he repays Amir, but Amir doesn’t know about Baba’s secrets yet, so Baba can’t ever be forgiven by Amir. Since Baba had gotten lung cancer and died, before Amir found out everything. The book states that Baba doesn’t take his pain killers because he felt no pain, the night of his death. I think he was in deep pain and decided to die this way as a last repay for all of his sins. This is how I believe Baba tries to overcome his failures of denying his sons.

message 36: by Shakif (new)

Shakif | 3 comments Amir was full of regreat for what he had let happen to Hassan. Hassan was a friend that would die for Amir but Amir wasn't like that. He let Hassan get rapped in front of him. I believe that Amir's cathartic journey began when he found out that Hassan was his half brother. After that he went back to Afghanistan to get Hassan's child Sohrab and taking him back to America. That's how Amir redeamed himself.

message 37: by Aziza (new)

Aziza | 3 comments By: Aziza

Amir begin his cathartic journey through redeeming himself begin when Hassan got raped. It was very tragic for amir because he had to go through Hassan death. Even though before Amir not very religious, now after Hassan being raped Amir has the faith and respect for religious person and he believe in it. Also in chapter 25th “he decides there is something he must do that he has been very reluctant to do in the past.” He feels guilty what ever bad he has done with Hassan. But that shouldn’t count because they were very good friends and they have very good childhood. Still Amir feels guilty and for that now he doing what ever it takes him to do it. So Amir started to do jai-namaz which is praying. Also he makes so many promises to the god and he want god to forgive him for his sin that he had made in the past.

message 38: by Yomiuri (new)

Yomiuri | 5 comments How does Baba express or overcome his failures denying his son and begin to atone for unreasonable treatment?

Baba begins to express and overcome his failures by helping others. He began to build orphanages for kids and helped any person he could. An example of that was when the Russian Soldier wanted to rape the young women and he stood up for her. He stood up for her even though he knew he might even get killed. He “redeemed” himself by doing these things but he was never actually forgiven because he never told about his lie. And also because he never got to tell Hassan that he was his father so Hassan never forgave him. He never forgave Baba because he died before he was told. So Baba’s whole life after Hassan’s birth he tried to redeem himself as I said before by helping others.

message 39: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 1 comments When did Amir begin his cathartic journey through redeeming himself begin?

In my opinion Amir’s cathartic journey begins when he gets the phone call from Rahim Khan. After this Amir’s journey begins that would make his life better, but this journey only gives Amir a lot of emotion but makes him stronger in some ways. The first step to Amir’s journey begins when he reads the letter Hassan left for him with Rahim Khan he now learns that he has been deprived of the knowledge that he has a brother. But then as the converse more Amir learns that there is a little boy that could make every wrong thing that he has ever done to Hassan go away. As his cathartic journey continues Amir is faced with so much emotion that he has never been through before. One journey that made Amir has to face is being in the room with Assef and knowing that he has his own battles to face. Amir is hit many times to even at the point of death until Sohrab saves him and done what his father promised many years ago while younger. Amir goes through this as Redemption as thinking of it like all the pain he put Hassan through and it coming back to him two folds.

message 40: by Maria (new)

Maria | 4 comments kite Runner. 01/13/2009 11:41AM

1. How did Baba try to redeemed himself?
Baba tried to redeem himself on his failure of denying his son in many ways.
Firstly his built an orphanage in Kabul, and he helps the people who were less fortunate. Stood up to a Russian soldier for a woman he never knew. Also he treats Hassan fairly as he did to Amir.
2. How sanuabar accepted her bad ways and tried to redeem himself.
Sanuabar accepted her bad ways by coming to see Hassan even though she was badly injured. She redeems herself by taking care of Sohrab and having a good relation with Hassan.
2. How Amir begins his catharsis towards redemption.
Amir began to redeem himself by asking Hassan to hit him with the pomegranate will he was hit Hassan with some.
3. How religion played a role in the aspect of Amir’s redemption.
Religion played a role in Amir’s redemption because told his God what he had done and begs for Sohrab’s life.

message 41: by Jazmine (new)

Jazmine Encalada | 2 comments 1. How did Baba try to redeemed himself?
In The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, Amir's father, Baba, tries to redeem himself through many ways. Some of the ways he tried to redeem himself was by building an orphanage, helping those who were less fortunate, and standing up to the Russian soldier for a woman he didn’t know. I think that Baba did all of these things to try to redeem himself from all the times he rejected his son. As well as sleeping with his best friend’s wife and hiding the truth that Hassan was his son. He also wanted to die as painfully as he can for all the wrong things he did and he thought this were some ways to find redemption.

message 42: by Ddanger (last edited Jan 25, 2010 01:58PM) (new)

Ddanger no need cuz im, "doin ur mom! doin doin ur mom!" x (Danger24) | 2 comments I believethat in The Kite Runner Amir's begins his cathartic journey through redeeming himself after the rape of Hassan. I believe this because during the rape scene he has a flashback thus starting the second stage of catharsis. Denial, anger and grief are the things he felt after and during the rape scene. Then after the rape scene he pelts Hassan pomegranates because he understands what he did was wrong and wont accept it. Later when they moved to america Amir accepts his wrongdoing and asks Hassan for forgiveness so he can be redeemed

message 43: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Li | 2 comments I believe that Amir's cathartic journey begins when Assef rapes Hassan, and Amir does nothing. Instead Amir hides, becuase he's scared of the same fate happening to him. After that event Amir felt so guilty that he couldn't stand to see Hassan anymore, that's why he didn't play with him and asked if Baba would get new servants. But he really goes to the edge of getting Hassan away from him, that he framed Hassan for stealing his money and new watch. He did this because theft was the one sin Baba would not forgive. But shockingly he forgave Hassan, even if Hassan claimed he did it, to help Amir. Unfortunately Ali left with Hassan anyway. After many years Amir has been haunted by the memory of Hassan being rape by Assef, and not doing anything. I think that's one reason why Amir goes back to Kabul to save Sohrab. It's because he believes that he can clean himself from his past sins, since Hassan was killed, Amir thought this was the way to apologize to him. So that's one main reason he saved and adopted Sohrab. So I think the rape part was where Amir started his carthartic journey.

message 44: by Lanier (last edited Jan 26, 2010 02:54PM) (new)

Lanier | 56 comments Mod
Dimitri and Matthew, well done, but this is NOT the place you should be posting this. FOLLOW directions to receive maximum points. This is where LAST YEAR'S scholars posted their responses. However, since it's here, address this ironic "theft" sin that you mention above. How has this been the most ironic thread throughout the entire novel? Additionally, in his first step to to catharsis, would you say it was immediately after when he could no longer sleep through the night; becoming an insomniac? Or when he confronted Hassan at their pomegranate tree? Or when he tried to get them replaced?

Dimitri, when you refer to this "flashback" I'm confused. Please explain how this illustrates "Intense Emotions" or "Admitting you have wronged, neglected or otherwise hurt another". This Italicized bit IS a flashback, but does it illustrate Amir's admitting something or his anger or frustration or does it depict something entirely different? Additionally, when exactly does Amir "ask Hasan for forgiveness"? This statement also confused me? Great comments, for the most part, about Amir's journey through catharsis. Re-read more carefully, look at your in-class and DEJ notes if you've forgotten something. Or be a little more specific which FLASHBACK, because there is one before and one after, but they concern different aspects of Amir and Hassan's frames of mind.

When you respond put this above and your edits in the correct GROUP! Read the Read sheet and follow those instructions.

message 45: by Syed (new)

Syed | 3 comments When did Amir begin his cathartic journey through redeeming himself begin?
I believe that he redeemed himself by saving Sohrab. Amir watches Hassan get raped and this changes his perspective of Hassan a lot. He dislikes Hassan because Hassan would not treat him bad and also because Amir felt guilty for not saving Hassan. He starts his journey of catharsis there and ends up feeling worse and worse. He loses his father in the middle and comes at another part where he discovers Hassan was his brother. This is where he goes " Why me" and feels bad that he hadn't known all that time then he goes to save Sohrab, Hassan's son. He ends up saving him but at the costly price of being hurt. He saves Sohrab and later Sohrab is put into a life threatening situation and Amir feels sad. He later finds that Sohrab is fine and he also has to accept him no matter what he was or who he was from. This would be how I believe where Amir's cathartic reaction started,

message 46: by Emily (last edited Jan 28, 2010 12:13PM) (new)

Emily Garcia | 3 comments Is it possible to achieve atonement if you have never asked for forgiveness?

I believe in Amir’s case there isn’t. I say that because after all what Amir made Hassan go through no matter what there was a part of Amir that kept hurting because he felt bad and not once did Amir asked for forgiveness. This caused Amir to hurt even more because he felt guilty and wanted someone to know the truth and I believe if Amir just asked for forgiveness this part of his life will be covered up, it is a big wound in his life that needed to be healed and he has to live with it his whole life.

Is it possible to become redeemed if those you have dishonored, disrespected, or otherwise hurt, is no longer there to forgive you?

No it is not possible, depending on the case. I say that because if you keep hurting and it is too late for you to ask for forgiveness and there not there anymore to forgive you there will always be a part of you that questions, how will life be different if he/she was there to forgive me? To me you also question will they forgive me? But also you can feel as a person that if you do something that you thin k that person would appreciate and thank you for that’s another role of redemption. For example like Amir when Amir went back to his old country he wanted to find a way to redeemed himself but when Rahim tells him the news and what he can do to be good again, it makes Amir think but the final decision he makes does makes Amir more redeemed.

message 47: by Henry (new)

Henry Santos | 1 comments On the powerful navel The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini Amir goes through cathartic stages on page 319 when Amir is talking to Sohrab and Amir mentions “I’m so Dirty “this shows a lot of grief within Amir because he keeps on feeling responsible for everything that has happen so far. Amir is questioning himself Why me? Why everything has to happen to him. Then he goes to depression thinking about Hassan getting rape how mean he has been with him plus knowing he was his half-brother it just makes Amir feel so guilty. Then Amir try to be redeem himself by completing his promise to Hassan that he will find Sohard and make sure his safe, But Amir dose a better promise then just making sure Soharb is safe he actually adopts him and shows him love even though he is a Hazard .

message 48: by Lanier (new)

Lanier | 56 comments Mod
Jazmine, well done, remember to follow instructions. That question was answered in class, so after watching the movie, continue that answer with much more information, far more in depth OR answer one of those above that weren't fully covered in class. Fix it up and move to correct GROUP = "Redemption and Catharsis Within "Kite"" like the instructions say.

Emily, so do you feel, in the end, Amir was atoned? I'm confused??? Ninety-nine percent of your argument you say, "NO! He can NOT be redeemed" and then at the very end you say, "Well, actually in his decisions Amir made amends."
You see my confusion. Fix this up, get rid of the Run-Ons and move to correct GROUP so peers can read it!!!

Good luck and enjoy the rest of the break!

message 49: by Lanier (new)

Lanier | 56 comments Mod
2010 scholars:
RESPOND in "REDEMPTION AND CATHARSIS...." or "TRAGIC HERO" groups NOT HERE.

FOLLOW DIRECTIONS given in CLASS

DO NOT RESPOND HERE this was for my 2008-9 scholars.

message 50: by Awilma (new)

Awilma Acosta (naomy101) | 4 comments How does Baba express or overcome his failures denying his son and begin to atone for unreasonable treatment?

Baba overcame his failures denying his son and beginning to atone for his unreasonable treatments by building an orphanage and taking care of other kids like he never took care of his own son. Baba blamed himself for not being able to make himself proud of the son he was left with when his wife left. When Amir leaves, Baba goes through redemption but dies in the process of old age. Baba never forgave himself but at least tried to make it up to Amir. The orphanage was great help to him and he was able to continue looking at his failure of a son with ‘proud eyes’.

« previous 1