Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

New School Classics- 1900-1999 > Gone With the Wind Chapters 1-20 Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 495 comments Post your comments here for Chapters 1-20

message 2: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
I finished chapter 20 last night and as Scarlett would say “God’s nightgown”, Margaret Mitchell writes a good book.

message 3: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
Lolo, I agree with you about the strength of Ms. Mitchell’s writing. It is quite good and her attention to detail is excellent. I imagine that this will become one of my all time favorites.

I think Ms. Mitchell has given us a large range of personalities. While these personalities are fictional they seem capable of being real. So I do not agree with your assessment that the characters are shallow and dumb. Obviously Rhett, Ashley and Melaine are the most educated of our core group of characters, but that does not mean Scarlett is dumb, nor childish. Scarlett lacks the education of the others and she is a selfish manipulative person who I keep hoping some will slap. However, she and Rhett are the strongest personalities. Scarlett is also showing the ability to shed her debutant social ness and is learning ways to adapt and survive what she cannot control.

Melanie’s character is being told to us through the eyes of Scarlett who resents her being Ashley’s wife. She is only ignorant and annoying to Scarlett. I think she may have as much strength of will as Scarlett or Rhett. She defiantly has the strongest belief of what is right and wrong.

message 4: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 54 comments I think the movie actually winnows out some of the more interesting characters, such as...his name slips my mind, but he's the very quiet man who comes to help work Tara and ends up marrying the sister whose fiance Scarlett stole.

If only the book weren't so racist. It's a blot, isn't it.

Shelley, Rain: A Dust Bowl Story
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

message 5: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
We are in the second decade of the 21st Century. We live in a time of hyper sensitivity on the subjects of race, religion, and wealth. Are we so politically correct we can’t read books written in past about events of our past without judging them as being offensive based on the mores of today? Margaret Mitchell wrote a wonderful book 75 years ago about a time period that is now 150 years old. She used words and phrases that were commonly used in the time period of her story. The words when used today are considered insulting, rude, and in bad taste, but how do we measure how far we have come if we don’t look at the past? No, I do not consider the racism depicted a blot.

message 6: by Karol (new)

Karol Getting a late start (hey, what else is new with me!) I've finished Part 1. This is the third time I've read the book. The first was as a teen-ager, then again probably in my mid-30's, and now again as a woman in her 50's. It is interesting that in each reading, I've related quite differently to the characters based on my own life experiences.

I've also seen the movie a couple of times. As I read the descriptions of Scarlett, Rhett, Gerald O'Hara, Ellen O'Hara, Mammy, Ashley, Melanie, and the Tarleton twins, - oh - and Charles Hamilton too - I saw the various actors in those roles straight out of a movie scene. There's nothing in any of the descriptions that was obviously different to me from how the characters appeared in the movie. I guess that just goes to show how well the casting, costumes, and sets were done.

Tara itself, however, is not quite the architecturally beautiful home that I recall from the film. It sounds more like a sprawling place that was added on to over time with a limited sense of an architectural whole. In that way, it reminds me of my family's farmhouse. Albeit much smaller, that place has had 3 additions over the course of its 120 years. It definitely leads to odd little corners and quirks that are well-hidden by shrubs and greenery just as the author described the quirkiness of Tara.

Now on to Part 2!

message 7: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 54 comments Hmm. I can't agree that we live in an age that is hyper-sensitive to issues of race and wealth, at least certainly not something that is so major a blot on our history as slavery. That's more than a pimple; it's a huge scar.

Shelley, Rain: A Dust Bowl Story, http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

message 8: by Luella (last edited Jul 29, 2017 12:28PM) (new)

Luella | 5 comments I have gotten this far in the novel and don't quite get what everyone is so gaga about or why people choose to re-read this.

But I am soldering on. It is an interesting time capsule though. And I am intrigued by Rhett and Scarlet so far. I could give a hoot about the Scarlet and Ashley issue.

It is taking me a looong time to get though this but I don't think it will take me as long to finish as Moby Dick did.

message 9: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4850 comments Mod
Good luck with it, I thought it was a great book. Scarlet has no conscious and Ashley has no backbone.

message 10: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments Bob wrote: "Good luck with it, I thought it was a great book. Scarlet has no conscious and Ashley has no backbone."

LOL! That about sums it up XD

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin Green | 151 comments I'm reading this novel as a stand alone without a group. So far, I am loving it. I am having to suspend reality in order to enjoy the setting, language and events of an bygone year.

message 12: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9331 comments Mod
Hi Erin. I've read this book several times. Loved it every read.

message 13: by Cynda (last edited Jun 18, 2019 04:18PM) (new)

Cynda | 2639 comments When I was 14, I saw a popular personality-filled girl at school reading GTW, so I made a decision to read it. GTW remained my favorite book for years. It could be argued that I learned how to live outside society's confines--which were stronger in the 1970s--to more nearly become the woman I wanted to be.

message 14: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1008 comments I absolutely love this book. Every time I read it I hope Scarlett will come to her senses and there will be a different ending lol

And it's HUGE, so it doubles as a weapon ;)