Christian Readers discussion

The Serpent of Paradise: The Incredible Story of How Satan's Rebellion Serves God's Purposes
This topic is about The Serpent of Paradise
Is Satan God's Satan?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rod Horncastle I'm almost done reading a book about Satan, by Erwin Lutzer: The Serpent of Paradise.

The general theme is that the Devil is God's devil. God is not at war with Satan. God is not battling Satan or trying to outsmart him. Satan survives only because God allows and uses Satan's abilities.

I wonder how many Christians have seriously realized this?

message 2: by Rod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rod Horncastle My other big question is:

Did Satan realize that Jesus was God? I think he had no idea. He actually thought he could tempt him.

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 102 comments I think once I read the Bible - and particularly Job - I sort of saw Satan as God's dog on a leash . . . He only has limited power and abilities. People like to think he's on the same level with God, but he's not.

I do think they're in opposition to each other in . . . "goals." The Bible says as much. God wants the best for us, whereas Satan roams the earth looking for people to destroy.

As for him knowing who Jesus really was - I think he might have. I think God used Satan to show that Jesus wasn't tempted so we could have that record.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen I checked the book out. Seems like a great book.

message 5: by Rod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rod Horncastle Margaret quote:
" I sort of saw Satan as God's dog on a leash ."

Well said. I'll have to remember that. :D

message 6: by Rod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rod Horncastle Karen the book sure puts Satan and his demons in perspective. The author does mention some of his accounts dealing with Demon possessed people. That was NOT what I expected the author to discuss.

His dealings with Demons were very different than Bob Larsons and many other Demon Hunters claims. Much less Buffy the Vampire slayer.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen Rod wrote: "Karen the book sure puts Satan and his demons in perspective. The author does mention some of his accounts dealing with Demon possessed people. That was NOT what I expected the author to discuss.
..."

I added it to my to read.