Q&A with Michelle Richmond discussion

Abby, Jake, Emma, Ellie, Lila, etc.: The Character Thread

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerichmond) | 29 comments Mod
Hi, everyone. I thought I'd add a separate thread for anyone who wants to post comments that are particular to specific characters from The Year of Fog or No One You Know.

message 2: by Michelle (last edited Jan 07, 2009 09:49AM) (new)

Michelle (michellerichmond) | 29 comments Mod
Lisa--

I never know how a book is going to end when I start it. While I never feel that characters "speak to me" or "direct" the book, I do think that the ending is a process of discovery for me, something I figure out as I go along, often through a great deal of trial and error.

I hope to have endings that are layered, and that provide some sense of satisfaction without tying things up too neatly. I also like for an ending to go in a slightly new direction, so that no one reading the book can close it and think, "Oh, I knew it was going to end that way." (My spoiler removed: complete post in THE YEAR OF FOG thread:)

Overall, I think a novel should be filled with surprises that are, nonetheless, logical.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Re Michelle's message #2: It was in reference to a post of mine which I just moved to The Year of Fog thread because I realized it has a spoiler.

message 4: by Marika (new)

Marika Gillis It's fun to read all these posts! I have read (and loved) The Year of Fog and will definitely be seeking out No One You Know soon. I was curious about a couple of things. Do you base your characters on real people that you know? And... (this one isn't character related) how did you get your start as a published author and novelist?