Q&A with Michelle Richmond discussion

No One You Know thread

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerichmond) | 29 comments Mod
Hi, everyone. I thought it might be helpful to create a thread for each of the books, so this is the NO ONE YOU KNOW thread. I'm sure there will be crossover between the two discussions, but for those who have only read one or the other, having separate threads may reduce the spoiler risk.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Well, I listened to the podcast you posted and it's interesting how you're willing to write about subjects in which you're not an expert. It shows how little I know about mathematics that in this book the writing seemed to come from an expert in both math and coffee. (For The Year of Fog it was photography, and to a lesser extent memory.) Anyway, in both books I felt I learned a lot about all the above.

How interesting is it for you to learn what you need to learn to write each book?

Thanks.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellerichmond) | 29 comments Mod
Hi Lisa. The research is really fun for me. I especially enjoyed delving into memory. Coffee was easy--I'm a coffee addict. Math was really challenging, because I always had a very hard time with math in school. But researching mathematics gave me a profound respect for the field and the people who excel at it--I never knew that math was such a creative pursuit.

As with any job, writing can begin to feel like drudgery. For me, having a new subject to explore makes the process of writing a lot more fresh and fun.