European Royalty discussion

History Group Reads > Far Pavilions: Books 4 - 6

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Please discuss Book 4: Bhithor, Book 5: Paradise of Fools and Book 6: Juli here (chapters 27 to 48).

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura I am starting book 6 now. What about the rest of the group?

message 3: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I've just gotten into book 5.

I was happy to see Biju Ram go when he did. I was afraid it was going to be one of those books where the bad guy hangs around thwarting the good guy at different points in the story until the very end. It was refreshing to know that that part of the story was over.

Some parts of the book go slow for me and others go quicker. That's not too surprising considering how long it is. I'm interested to figure out what this "Paradise of Fools" refers to.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura It is true Sara, the book don´t flow at same speed. I just started book 6 and it is hard to put down but I won´t make any comments until you reach it. Happy reading.

message 5: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 83 comments I'm finished! The books definitely flow diferently, it makes it all the more fun when you get to a part that is really moving along.

message 6: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Okay, I just got into Book 6, and I really have no idea what "Paradise of Fools" meant in regards to Book 5. I don't know if my mind is fried from studying or what (for some reason I can't really remember what I just read in that book except for Ash needing to move and the new horse). Anyone else have any ideas? Book 6 is starting up really interesting with the return of the doctor though.

message 7: by Misfit (last edited Jan 29, 2009 03:00PM) (new)

Misfit | 696 comments I've always been the kind of reader that if I don't understand where the name of the chapter came from I just ignore it and move on.

Wait until Suttee.....

message 8: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Oh yeah, I usually ignore titles/headings too. I think I only started paying attention here because I clearly understood what would be going on in "Belinda" and "Bhithor" and "Juli" once I got there (well, the gist of the matter anyway), so the Paradise one kind of threw me. Ha, one book I read (The Eyre Affair I think) deliberately left out a chapter (it skipped from 14 to 16 or something like that), and I totally missed it until someone else pointed it out. I have no idea why I paid attention here!

message 9: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments ***SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED BOOK 6***

Just finished Book 6 today. I really liked this section. Everytime I thought I knew what was going to happen, something else did. I think Pillars of the Earth is stuck in my head while I read this because they're both long epic novels, so I keep thinking, "oh, this will be predictable", but it's not. It's certainly not fair to this book because it's much better than Pillars (which was irritating and predictable IMO).

I definitely thought Juli was going to walk down to the fire, so it was a surprising twist to me that Shu-shu went alone. I was really sad about Golind, his assistant and Sarji's deaths (please excuse my spelling mistakes with their names - my book isn't with me at the moment), and the death of the horse. I was thinking, geez, how many lives are going to be sacrificed for this one woman, so it was nice to see Ash (and Juli) think those same thoughts. So many books and movies kill off people to move the plot along without ever really thinking about their deaths.

The suttee part was pretty intense, and I liked the portrayal of Ash being conflicted over whether to shoot Shu-shu. It's nice reading a book where the characters experience such a wide range of complex emotions.

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments ****SPOILERS AS PER SARAH'S POST ABOVE***

The suttee bits have to be some of the most unforgettable unputdownable I've ever come across in a book. When Ash had given up all hope and was ready to go with her.....ah, love.