sistv bookworms discussion

Book Genre?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelly_l) So what kind of books do you all like? Romance? Horror? General Fiction? Chick Lit???

I think generally, I like fiction although, to be completely honest, I sometimes really enjoy a good "bodice ripper." I have little tollerance for chick lit stuff. It's just not me. What about you???

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 36 comments I used to love chick lit, can't stand it anymore. Lately I've been into light reads, now the Sookie Stackhouse series, but I also like mystery, thriller, horror and even literary fiction/best seller kind of stuff. I read alot in school, mostly really intense works on religion and gender so in my down time I need something that doesn't require much thought. It's sort of a shame because I haven't read some of the 'better' books out there now because I know some are more serious, like the popular non-fiction books/memoirs and I just don't have it in me.

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison i enjoy lots of different genres.
i tend to gravitate towards mystery/crime scene/true crime books on my own.
i really love fiction, but most of those that i read are from recommendations/what i see other people reading on here. it's hard for me just to browse randomly in the library and find something that i'll like.
i also enjoy memoirs, but not read back to back.
the one genre that i cannot stand is chick lit/romance novels. i have never enjoyed it, and it seems to me that there are some many other books out there, why read 1340823040 books with the same girl meets boy and falls in love story...

message 4: by Staci (new)

Staci I'm all over the board in my book tastes. I will read chick lit, bestsellers, non-fiction, biographies, classics, YA. I like it all!!!

message 5: by *Lee* (new)

*Lee* I really love biographies/autobiographies/true life stories (IF well written and interesting although I do admit to owning AND reading Posh Spice's autobiog "learning to fly").
I love travel stories, espeically true life ones - Like "When in Rome" by Penelope Green, or "Holy Cow" by Sarah McDonald.
Chick Lit has me if well written, funny, witty and especially it is set in London or New York (two of my fave cities). I have a low tolerance for it if it is not so or predictable and overfly formulaic- and suffer through the book as a result.
I also like historical fiction - like Phillipa Gregorys "The Constant Princess" or Ken Follets "Pillars of the Earth" (I think it is called).
I haven't read many classics, I think I overdosed on having to suffer through them at school. Pleased to say though the ones I have read since I have enjoyed, I think just being a bit older and appreciating the story and writing better helps.
Crime, horror, not so much.

melanie (lit*chick) | 9 comments Mod
It's probably easier to say what I don't like. Political books and non fiction. I don't love historical fiction, but every now and again it's okay. Not a fan of chick lit either. Maybe a couple times a year to break things up, but aren't all those stories the same?

message 7: by Rhi (new)

Rhi | 76 comments Mod
as of right now, edward cullen.
oh what. that isn't a genre?

message 8: by Staci (new)

Staci Rhi wrote: "as of right now, edward cullen.
oh what. that isn't a genre?"

you are so witty!!

message 9: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audneal) My favorite genre is science fiction and fantasy -- especially urban or mythic fiction and speculative science fiction (steampunk and cyberpunk), plus magical realism

I've really tried to broaden my reading habits this year, so I've been reading more nonfiction and more historical fiction, both of which I've grown to enjoy. I also like nature writing and I'm always up for a good YA novel.

message 10: by Jeffsgirl (new)

Jeffsgirl | 5 comments I agree with mellymel, its prob easier to list what i dont like: Fantasy, cheesy romance(danielle steel not included lol) nonfiction and historical fiction. Im not big on autobiography's and stuff like that either. I love a good mystery if really well written, but usually i just read what i see that u guys liked! Im going to the book store tonight...gotta pick up something really really good?????

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara | 13 comments I've noticed that most of my favorite books are actually children's or YA. My favorite genre in children's and ya is probably fantasy.

Other than that, I tend to like most genres.. although, as I've gotten older, I've become more sensitive and avoid anything very dark, depressing or with sexual abuse. I used to love Stephen King, but was horrified by Pet Sematary and now avoid anything by him or shelved as Horror. I usually don't finish any book that seems like it has more sex scenes than plot. I generally avoid Oprah picks, although there are a couple that I intend to read someday, as soon as I'm ready to be depressed.

I do like non-fiction, but hardly ever read a non-fiction book straight through - I tend to read a few chapters and then come back to it to read a few more at a later date. The exception there is with memoirs, I have read some of them straight through.

message 12: by *Lee* (new)

*Lee* Jeffsgirl wrote: "I used to love Stephen King, ."

Ooooh ME TOO - I actually liked pet semetary when I was in school but I couldn't cope with the horror stuff as I got older. I am a bit of a sucker for a zombie film though, even though they give me nightmares and I have to watch with the sound down and peeking through my fingers...

Actually, I generally like stories that have a pleasing ending - they don't have to be sunshine and light through-out, but I like to intersperse my reading with happier fiction.

message 13: by Melbg (new)

Melbg | 16 comments I checked my (real) bookshelf yesterday and have to say that, basically, I read everything. Most books could be categorised as historical fiction / crime scene / mystery but I do love a bit of romance kitsch for a change (everyone knows what is going to happen so no unnecessary difficulties and excitements there - thus, the best thing to relax after a hard day or escape into a happy place).
Sometimes I read biographies or history books but I mainly read to unwind so more challenging books are only tackled in sections.