Genealogy discussion

Black & White Genealogy

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pat (new)

Pat Simmons (goodreadscomauthorpatsimmons) | 10 comments I'm listening to Inheriting The Trade on audio tape, and I'm enjoying it. Thomas Norman Dewolf describes his journey of uncovering his family's root as the largest slave-trading dynasty in the U-S.

I learn when I hear or read the genealogy of other races. I know, and I'm still learning about slavery on both sides of my family, but what I don't hear are the stories from descendants of slavemasters. I applaud this author for opening up the door.

I would love to hear from Will--I believe--whose's family was the largest slaveholder in SC. Any information you know about the Jamieson slaveholders, plantation, etc., I would love to hear.
Okay, enough rambling. I need to go and write for a few hours on my novel.
Be blessed everybody.
Pat

message 2: by Will (last edited Jan 06, 2009 07:49PM) (new)

Will (oldbosun) | 4 comments They were the Joneses. They lived in upstate South Carolina, they were in cotton: everything from farming to ginning (I used to play in the old cotton gin when I went to my Mother's home). The house was somewhat isolated (the city has since absorbed it) and sat on a small rise until 1880, when a massive earthquake lifted the house onto a shallow bluff: the back porch was separated from the house by two feet and several steps.

My great great great Aunt Amy provided reams of information to Bruce Catton for his classic, Stillness at Appomattox, and one of her treasured volumes was an inscribed copy. Miss Amy was born just before the War, lived 106 years and looked like a white-haired, female Benjamin Franklin. She had been a teacher for thirty years, stuffing young heads with facts ranging from the Norman Conquest to the Second World War. Along the way, she helped nurse both Union and Confederate soldiers, worked in a cotton mill, been a book binder, a registered nurse and a certified teacher.

Her companion was a spare black woman, that I knew as Aunt Ola. Aunt Ola's grandfather had been the ambulatory property of Miss Amy's father prior to his manumission in 1864. Aunt Ola had come into Miss Amy's employ in 1923 and stayed, inheriting Miss Amy's house after she died in 1965.

Somewhere, in and amongst all the dreck and dross that my sister held for me whilst I went off to sea, are papers and diaries. I'll see what I can find.

When I was young, I always wondered why my aunts were different colors, but I loved them both. After all, they were family.

message 3: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Heyen (sheyen) | 5 comments On PBS a couple f years back there was a documentary on there called African American Lives. They did the genealogy on a number of African American famous people (Oprah, Chris Rock, and a few others I cant remember right now). And I know PBS channel does alotof shows on that kind of thing.

message 4: by Pat (new)

Pat Simmons (goodreadscomauthorpatsimmons) | 10 comments I usually try to watch them or at least tape them, but I did see that series.

Hey, Will, I'm wondering if you heard of a Jamieson plantation. Between writing my novels and researching genealogy to put information in them, I always take time to hear slave-related stories from the black or white experience.
be blessed everybody,
Pat
www.patsimmons.net

message 5: by Will (last edited Feb 01, 2009 11:47PM) (new)

Will (oldbosun) | 4 comments Pat wrote: "I usually try to watch them or at least tape them, but I did see that series.

Hey, Will, I'm wondering if you heard of a Jamieson plantation. Between writing my novels and researching genealogy ..."

Pat, check your Myspace mailbox. I just sent you some Jamisons stuff.

You may already have the website, but the lat/long coordinates are from memory, sort of...I was there a loooooooooooooooooong time ago, and it was called White Hill plantation.

message 6: by Pat (new)

Pat Simmons (goodreadscomauthorpatsimmons) | 10 comments yey, I just came back from a Texas book tour so I'll check it today...BIG THANKS.