Divergent (Divergent, #1) Divergent discussion


709 views
Divergent vs. The Hunger Games

Comments Showing 1-50 of 175 (175 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Simplyminali THE HUMGER GAMES HANDS DOWN!!!!! IT HAS A MUCH BETTER PLOT WITH MORE WELL DEVELOPED CHARACTERS


Gavin Simplyminali wrote: "THE HUMGER GAMES HANDS DOWN!!!!! IT HAS A MUCH BETTER PLOT WITH MORE WELL DEVELOPED CHARACTERS"

Agreed, it also had better world building. Suzanne Collins created such a vivid world in Panem. Divergent was a good book but in comparison the world was a little vague.


Natalia I enjoyed both books a lot, some parts more so than others, in both books.
Both books had strong female leads, but I like Divergent more in the case of the lead. I thought that Tris grew more as a character than Katniss.
However, I preferred the plot and setting of the Hunger Games to dystopian Chicago. I thought that Katniss' world was much more perceivable and detailed.
Also, the romance portion of both books was really good, but I have never been a fan of complicated love triangles (there is one exception though, but not the Hunger Games) so I preferred Tris and Tobias' relationship of over Katniss and Peeta/Gale.


Gavin Natalia wrote: "Also, the romance portion of both books was really good, but I have never been a fan of complicated love triangles (there is one exception though, but not the Hunger Games) so I preferred Tris and Tobias' relationship of over Katniss and Peeta/Gale. "

Totally off topic but if you don't mind me asking, what was the exception?.


Casey I choose Divergent. The Hunger Games is based on death and Divergent is more of a fair, even practical fight.


Abigail I liked both but I agree with previous statements. The Hunger Games was a much more developed book whereas Divergent while a GREAT idea and very original could have been more detailed.

But it's not really surprising seeing that this is Veronica Roth's first book. And Susan something or other who wrote THG is an established and much more seasoned writer.


Natalia Connor wrote: "I very much enjoyed the first two books of the Hunger Games, but was very disappointed with the third. So far, the first two books in the Divergent series have been awesome, but it remains to be s..."

I agree with you. The first two books of the Hunger Games were really good, but Mockingjay was extremely disappointing. This first two books of the Divergent series are some of my favorite books, but we wait to see the third. Ugh! Fall 2013! Only a bajillion more years to go!!!


Abigail Insurgent was a REALLY awesome book. I'm so bummed that I have to wait a yr for the end.


message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I really think Divergent, it's more realistic. I think the Hunger Games it's an EXCELLENT book but Divergent has to win on this. I think hunger games is more hollywood and Divergent is more real.


Monica Hunger games (book 1 &2) is a better story and katniss in the first two books is a more tolerable and stronger character than tris. And insurgence until the end was quite a boring book in my opinion and i hate to say this bc i hate love triangles but this book really needed one bc tris and four took step backwards instead of forward in likeability meter, it needed a better villian and just a better reason for the conflict.


Darlene The Hunger Games all the way. I liked the setting, characters, and writing style more than Divergent's. The Hunger Games also seems more realistic to me. I find Divergent's whole premise kind of confusing. Both are great books though :)


message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Hunger games. But i think divergent has unique story compared to hg. Idk divergent just better BUT i prefer HG cause katniss journey was moree amazing


Meagin I loved Divergent but I feel like the plot in Hunger Games is more intricate and thought out than Divergent.


Meagin Kailey wrote: "I have to go with Divergent. They're both excellent series but I just found myself connecting better to Divergent. Normally I loathe romances in books (including Hunger Games) but I didn't in Diver..."

I am so with you with Mockingjay. That book kinda sucked. I mean I guess it all went downhill after The Hunger Games came out in terms of the books. BTW I love Harry Potter too!


message 15: by Caitlyn (last edited Jun 05, 2012 09:27PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Caitlyn I liked the Hunger Games waayyyyyy more than divergent... Tris annoyed me when she killed Will, I mean she had just had a private conversation with herself about how she was happy she hadn't killed her ENEMY, but then kills Will who wasnt in control of his own actions, she completely lost me there... In the hunger games Katniss could get annoying but, she stayed true to who she was, Tris however..not so much she kept throwing me off, plus her ditching her friends and always thinking she was better than them, and *pretending* everything was all great and they are best buds just so they will protect her, but still it is implied they aren't nearly as amazing, nice, smart, brave, perfectly wonderul as fabulous Tris... if you cannot read my sarcasm it is VERY much there

If you couldn't tell, Tris annoyed me very VERY much, and it ruined the book for me, I actually like the factions and a enemy with high IQ but the book still killed me... and I liked Mockingjay at first I was like "What!?" but it grew on me, my only issue with the book was Finnick... WHY? ... sadness


Janie The Hunger Games. The plot was better. Divergent was a great idea, but it needed to be explored more. I personally connected with Katniss a lot better then Tris. Who can beat up someone and feel great satisfaction from it without feeling remorse? I know wouldn't be able to.


Meagin Caitlyn wrote: "I liked the Hunger Games waayyyyyy more than divergent... Tris annoyed me when she killed Will, I mean she had just had a private conversation with herself about how she was happy she hadn't killed..."

I know...Finnick....so sad! And he was one of mt fav characters. I love how in Catchting Fire he seemd like a player and a pretty boy but we soon found out there was more to him. He was so sweet....Why? :(


Melanie I like that the Divergent society tried to create peace whereas Hunger Games was about keeping people in their place. In Divergent you could make changes, but in Hunger Games you were stuck where you are born.

I see more hope in the Divergent series than I do with Hunger Games.


message 19: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth I think the Hunger Games wins hands down because It was one of the first series I had read and I had really gotten into it. Dont get me wrong, I really liked Divergent but, The Hunger Games reigns supreme in my eyes.


Angie Elle I liked Divergent much better. I think The Hunger Games is overrated.


message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

DIVERGENT 100%
The hunger games, while it's more popular, isn't half as good as divergent. The love in the hunger games is faked, and it's all about death.


message 22: by Amie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amie DIVERGENT!!!!!!!!! enough said. :D


Elizabeth I like Divergent more. Right now I'm about half way through the sequel. I did like the Hunger Games, but Divergent is better in my mind


Charlotte I loved both of them and it's really hard to choose...I like the Divergent series better overall, but that is only because I hated the third Hunger Games and there is no third Divergent yet, so I'm not sure which series I like better.....


message 25: by Max (new) - rated it 4 stars

Max I prefer The Hunger Games, but Divergent is still a great series for me. I love that Tris is a bitch, personally, because that makes her different than most of the main characters I see in dystopian fiction nowadays. The fact that she's flawed and she has these horrible, heartless thoughts is something that I think many people could relate to in some sense, whether they are cold people or not. I also agree with some that the romance is believable in Divergent, because Roth transitions into it much easier. I do think Roth is still developing as a writer, though, so she doesn't paint the world quite as intricately as she could.


Nicole Judson’s I think a good book is a good book. Stop trying to compare them. They both have their good qualities and bad qualities! I know they are in the same genre but they are totally different!
I get so mad when people try to say "this is the NEW Harry Potter" or "this book is better than this book" because truly there will NEVER be another Harry Potter and honestly what does it matter?


Angie Elle I hate it when you're having a perfectly cordial discussion and then someone comes in tries to ruin it when the topic makes it clear what you are discussing. If you don't like this type of discussion, don't click on the thread. It's really as simple as that.

It's not like the topic was disquised as 'Free Skittles.'


Olivia I choose Divergent, by far. Eventhough Hunger Games is one of my favorite books, the Hunger Games series is hard to read. Meaning all of the books start off slow. After you get off of the slow part, it is truly an amazing book, but many people, if they don't get interested in the first chapter, stop reading. The Divergent series, Divergent and Insurgent, both get off to a great start, an exciting-want-to-know-what-happens start, unlike the hunger games. Another thing is that Divergent pretty much ends with such a big cliffhanger, so bid of a cliffhanger that you just HAVE to read Insurgent. I love both books, but Divergent wins for me.


Gabrielle Gavin wrote: "Simplyminali wrote: "THE HUMGER GAMES HANDS DOWN!!!!! IT HAS A MUCH BETTER PLOT WITH MORE WELL DEVELOPED CHARACTERS"

Agreed, it also had better world building. Suzanne Collins created such a vivid..."

I prefer the vague-ness. It allows the reader to add in their own personal details so that they can picture it the way they want to. Divergent all the way.


message 30: by Bj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bj Divergent is so much better. The Hunger Games is great, but Divergent is a lot better. And isn't Divergent going to be like a series? Everyone is thinking that she's copying Hunger Games, but her ideas are sok much more clear. And no, Harry Potter does not beat Divergent. Harry Potter is extremely hard to get into because the beginning is horrible. Harry potter books are just okay because of that. So,

Divergent.


message 31: by F.J. (new) - rated it 1 star

F.J. Definitely THG. Divergent had been one of many, in my opinion, bad dystopia books. I don't really get the hype ...
Anyway, nobody's as bad-ass as Katniss (okay, maybe Annabeth from the Percy Jackson books is nearly as bad-ass ;))


message 32: by Morgan (last edited Jun 21, 2012 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Morgan The Hunger Games was an AMAZING book that I couldn't put down. But, I could say the same for Divergent. They are both my favorites - but, Divergent is more realistic. Not that I didn't LOVE The Hunger Games - I did. It's just too popular and getting trite. I guess, in the end, I prefer Divergent.


message 33: by Bri (last edited Jun 15, 2012 05:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bri Spiekerman Divergent is great, but it lacks the depth, theme and allegory of The Hunger Games. Suzanne Collins is very unflinching and driven in her illustration of the effects of war, violence, trauma and, ultimately, desensitization. Divergent is less elegantly written, too. Contrary to what many reviewers say, it isn't popcorn action-packed fluff - it does have substance behind it and interesting ideas about identity and human psychology - but The Hunger Games left a greater impression on me.

If the 3rd Divergent book delivers as well as the first two have, more people might side with it, especially given how many people were disappointed with Mockingjay. (I loved the book, but w/e)


message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Brian wrote: "Divergent is great, but it lacks the depth, theme and allegory of The Hunger Games. Suzanne Collins is very unflinching and driven in her illustration of the effects of war, violence, trauma and, u..."

omg...TRUE!


message 35: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I HATE THE HUNGER GAMES. The characters are just so unlikable I want to vomit. I only like Peeta and Finnick. Katniss is a derelict ingrate with no regard to the feelings of people she loves. She's on a power high, she wants more influence, more power, more, more, more... Tris is the only character I have ever read about with whom I agree wholeheartedly in every decision made. She is unwavering, and beautiful flawed. And Tobias? Excuse me while I swoon.


message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Hannah wrote: "I HATE THE HUNGER GAMES. The characters are just so unlikable I want to vomit. I only like Peeta and Finnick. Katniss is a derelict ingrate with no regard to the feelings of people she loves. She's..."

SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE HUNGER GAMES SERIES!

Katniss does think about the people she loves overwise Peeta would have died and if she didn't she wouldn't be in the hunger games and it would be Prim.

And as much as I like Divergent I think the hunger games is better because I got more attached to the characters, to the point where I actually cried when Finnick died!


Siobhan O' Sullivan why pick one over the other, their both great reads! I think it's amazing how the writers minds went where they did on both books! both authors rock


Elizabeth I like both but divergent is better


Steve Opperman Both series are beyond fantastic, and other than the fact that they are both dystopian series and both have strong female characters, there really isn't any basis for comparison. If I had to pick one over the other, I would say the Divergent series is better simply because it offers a better, more upbeat conclusion than Hunger Games did. I was really disappointed with Mockingjay as a trilogy conclusion, but as a number of readers have mentioned, that's just my opinion. I think both series should be award winners.


Kelia I prefer Divergent over the Hunger Games mainly because of the characters and their situation. I did enjoy Hunger Games, don't get me wrong, but Tris was seriously bad a** she left everything she knew and loved to follow her heart. She then proceeds to lose everything, but somehow managese to show strength, where as Katniss was really kind of weak for most of Catching Fire. All over Peeta. I understand love, but to go into absolute despair over guy you claim to not love.....idk. I must say the world that is The Hunger is amazing. Collins did a lovely job with that. Also the love triangle angle was really weak to say the least. I don't think she ever really loved Gale, she just felt obligated to him, nothing more. He never really had chance. All in all they are both great books, but I'm gonna say I'm team Divergent all the way:)


message 41: by Kia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kia I preferred the Divergent Series of Hunger Games. I didn't even bother to read Catching Fire because Katniss was unlikable. I could not wait till Insurgent came out. The Love triangle in Hunger Games was so insane since Katniss doesn't even know how she feels enough to have a reliable triangle she doesn't love either guy, one loves her the other is a unknown factor made it forced and a play to people shipping. The story between Tris and Four, no triangle, (Tris was not in any way interested in Al) pretty solid on how they both feel is better. The landscape of the Hunger games is much more detailed and better fleshed out while the supporting characters and factions of Divergent are better explained and elaborated even more when you get to Insurgent.


message 42: by Marion (last edited Jun 16, 2012 11:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marion West divergent by a long shot!! in hunger games there is the ugly debate between fans: gale or peeta. in divergent tris is with four/tobias! there is no question about it! also i love how in divergent tris grows so much. she starts out not knowing herself and wanting to truly understand who she is and what shes made of. whereas in hunger games katniss doesnt grow, or change. she stays the exact same. she may have become more passionate and compassionate but she does not find herself or even want to find herself. she simply wants to take down the capital. and about the romance, Katniss and Peeta's fling was fake half the time so there was no real love and passion there. the thing with her and gale never really heated up to the point that me, as a reader, wanted what she had. with Tris, i fell in love with four. i wanted to be tris sooo bad while reading Divergent and Insurgent. there is no way Hunger Games is better then Divergent! nothing compares to this book. nothing.


Dahlia Torres When I think of both series, I think of the two female leads and who is more like me and I think im like both girls but in different ways. Im like katniss with the bravery part but I woul never go for a dandelion like Peeta. And I thought Tris was too mush of a cry-baby and thats not me! But the way the book was written would have to be Divergent. Totally!!!


message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd pick the Hunger Games, just because I enjoyed it more than Divergent


Tihitina I would pick the Hunger Games hands down. Although both Tris and Katniss are fighting for freedom, I like the plot of the Hunger Games better.THE GIRL ON FIRE AND THE BOY WITH THE BREAD!!!!!


message 46: by Dale (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dale Z THIS IS THE HARDEST QUESTION I WAS ASKED ABOUT DIVERGENT.

I don't know.

I both love them.

Like.

Yeah.


message 47: by Alya (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alya Just like Harry Potter inspired ideas like: Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Motal Instruments and much more. Plus Twilight with the Vampire/Werewolf domination in fiction. The Hunger Games started a major haul in dystopian novels with heroines. The Divergent Trilogy is porbably one of the novels inspired by the Hunger Games.
So, The Hunger Games wins :P


RegencyEmma I enjoyed Divergent more than the Hunger Games.


Csmitty11707 DIVVVVVEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong i love the hunger games it was actually the first series of books i finished and the series that i started falling in love with books to. But divergent is just plain amazing!!!!


Morgan Siobhan wrote: "why pick one over the other, their both great reads! I think it's amazing how the writers minds went where they did on both books! both authors rock"

Totally agree with u!


« previous 1 3 4
back to top