SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
This topic is about Web of Lies
Archive: 2012 Buddy Reads > June Buddy Read: Web of Lies by Jennifer Estep

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christine | 850 comments Julianne will be reading the second book in the Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep around June 20. All are welcome.

Julianne | 354 comments Can't wait. I've been trying to read this one for a couple months now.

Christine | 850 comments I think I'll actually be ready to start this on the 20th.

Christine | 850 comments Have you stated this yet? I'm up to page 100. I'm enjoying it so far...

Julianne | 354 comments Ugh, I had a terrible week last week and wasn't able to get any reading in...I feel like such a bad reading buddy. I'm about to start the book now. I'm home sick for a couple of days so I should be able to get it done.

Christine | 850 comments I hope you're doing better this week. It sucks to be home sick, but at least it's a good excuse to sit around and read. Don't worry about the buddy read. Life happens and we can still chat about it. I enjoyed the book and I actually just finished the third one. Hopefully I can keep straight what happened in which book. I'm curious to see what you think of Donovan Cain in this one. I didn't quite see the point of him in the first book, other than a hot body for a random sex scene. But his character makes a bit more sense to me in this one. Well at least near the end anyway.

Julianne | 354 comments I'm glad he makes more sense in this book, he did seem kind of awkwardly placed in the first book. I'm not very far into it yet.

☀Rachael☀ (jimbunni) I've just finished Web of lies if you are still reading? I had an inkling about the revalation at the end! What did you think!?

Julianne | 354 comments I'm not quite to page 50 (just finished chapter 4 I think)

The way it reads, mostly in the first chapter, reminds me of one of those black and white private dtective movies...of all the gin joints why did he havce to walk into mine...I know that's not exactly how it went but that's exactly what I kept thinking of. Just the narrative as she was re-introducing what's happened.

Christine | 850 comments Yeah, I noticed she's taken to referring to a lot of places as 'so-and-so's gin joint'. I've been trying to decide whether the repetition in the writing is a purposeful move on the author's part as a quirk of the character and to show the things the character is always thinking about in the back of her mind or whether it's just the authors unconscious writing style. Either way I actually find it bothering me less and less with each book.

I like that in this book we get to see more of Finn, Sophia, and Jo-Jo. And we get to see some more glimpses of Gin's past and her relationship with Fletcher. I like how she gives you little snippets with each book and lets the back story unfold slowly rather than a lot of info dumping in one book.

Christine | 850 comments HI Julianne, How did you make out with this book?