Q&A with Rob Kaufman discussion

In the Shadow of Stone
This topic is about In the Shadow of Stone
Story content

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan (dan112) I'm constantly amazed with the detail in your stories. Where does this stuff come from? Like this as an example.

Peering up the slight hill to Number Twenty-four Beacon Street, he took a deep breath and blew the air through his pursed lips. A golden retriever chased a Frisbee and the autumn chill fluttered through the trees, a few leaves dancing along with the gentle wind. He had a sudden sense that the coming winter would be extremely cold – more frigid than the people of Boston had experienced in a very long time.

Kaufman, Rob (2005-06-21). In the Shadow of Stone (1) (Kindle Locations 2132-2135). BookSurge. Kindle Edition.

message 2: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Kaufman | 3 comments Mod
Yeah, that's cool, right? I appreciate you noticing! The same way your mind creates the details as you're reading is the same way my mind creates the details as I'm writing. It comes from experiencing all those things - however large or small those experiences might be. However, I think this is one of those descriptive paragraphs that took me a long time to write - especially because it's the final paragraph of a chapter and I always like to end those with foreshadowing.

message 3: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan (dan112) You certainly accomplished your goal. Sorry to get off of the subject.
How long did it take you to write One Last Lie?

message 4: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Kaufman | 3 comments Mod
"One Last Lie" spent two years in my head and took about 8 months to write. The phrase, "The girl was a square." was where it started. I couldn't get it out of my head. Then, after a few personal experiences, the pieces started to fit together. If I didn't have to work for a living, I probably could've finished in half the time. But you know how it is... the mortgage payment had to come first, otherwise I wouldn't have a place to write! :)