What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > YA sci-fi/fantasy- Boy spins a wheel to pick his future? [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 4 comments I remember reading this book around '96. About a boy who was born on the sec between Dec 31 and Jan 1, so he doesn't really have a birthday. When he is 17/18 he gets an invite to this castle where he spins a giant wheel 3 times to pick his "career" for life. Each time, he travels to another land to test drive this path. One path he is in the Himalayas with a girl he falls for, and another time he goes to this town that has a chicken for a mayor and saves her from some sinister plot (and becoming dinner). I remember the cover at the time was like a dark blue with a giant "wheel of fortune" type wheel (all colorful) on the front and may or may not have the boy standing in front of it looking up. The author had a typically feminine/genderless name although it was a man.

message 2: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments Herb Seasoning by Julian Thompson is the book. Herb rides the Upwardlimobile to when he is sent to Castles in the Air to try out careers, one of which is rescuing a chicken.

A picture of the cover is at this Amazon listing here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?index...

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 4 comments Thank you so much!!! That is it!

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 4 comments Just found out the library I was at JUST LAST WEEK, has a copy!