UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Author Zone - Readers Welcome! > Do you have a life, a hobby, a Latin lover?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Andre Jute (last edited Jun 05, 2012 11:35AM) (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 281 comments From Kissing the Blarney

An elevation I might not reach without the motor. The motor is that discreet front hub, hardly bigger than the SON dynamo hub it replaced. The battery looks like a vacuum flask or a water bottle. This is a real sleeper of an electric bike installation.

Read here how I did it: Building an Electric Bike aka Pedelec

The finished result in one of my favourite places.

message 2: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 281 comments Nobody have a hobby, not even a dull one like cycling? That's amazing. I mean, I can understand the ladies not wanting to confess the Turkish lover, but not confessing to crotchet or croquet...

message 3: by Pat () (last edited Jun 06, 2012 07:36AM) (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments OK I'll confess to crotchet and knitting, no more cycling though too long in the tooth for that. Gave all three cycles away last year. #:-( But croquet well got to have a lawn for that and ours will be gone in two weeks time.Sadly no Latin Lover either! Not much life either.
I like the look of your special place.

message 4: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Swimming & wordsearches/arrow words.

I game sometimes, but not really as much as I used too.

Sorry, didn't see this thread. Maybe you should move it to the general anything goes bit.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Hang on - is someone giving away latin lovers? I could do with one or two...

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Genealogy and modding. I also have an interest in Norse and Celtic mythology, as well as Dark Age Britain, which is where a lot of my modding has focused.

message 7: by Pat () (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments Gingerlily (or Cyberlily..) wrote: "Hang on - is someone giving away latin lovers? I could do with one or two..."

One or two, that's plain greedy!

message 8: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments D.M. Andrews (GoodReads Author) wrote: "Genealogy and modding. I also have an interest in Norse and Celtic mythology, as well as Dark Age Britain, which is where a lot of my modding has focused."

I love Greek mythology!!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Well I use them up quite fast.

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Greek/Roman - studied it a bit at school (and have a few books on it), but always related more to my own cultural background...

message 11: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments having italian roots, i've always been intrigued by the roman and greek ones :P

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments The engine I used to mod was based on a Roman-Greek centered culture. I changed it for my own purposes. Someone did a "let's play" series on my "Norman Invasion" mod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4usTs...

message 13: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 281 comments Pat (Scorpio) wrote: "I like the look of your special place."

A small, hungry pike lived there a couple a couple of seasons. I used to take it piece of salami to which it appeared partial. Then one year, when I returned after a bad winter, it was gone, probably swum downstream to the river in search of food.

Unfortunately I never managed to photograph it because it would appear to snatch its food from my fingers and not tarry to say thank you.

I'm sorry to hear you sold your bikes.

message 14: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 281 comments D.M. Andrews (GoodReads Author) wrote: "Genealogy and modding."

You'll probably all roll around laughing at my ignorance -- I hope you get cat hairs on your clothes, so there! -- but what is "modding"?

message 15: by D.M. Andrews (author) (last edited Jun 06, 2012 11:24AM) (new)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Modding is the modification of commercial game engines into either an enhanced version or totally new iteration of the original game.

Think of the "editors" you get with some games that enable you to change add new levels etc. Modding is a bit like that but not bound by the editor, so you can go way beyond the confines of the game's world.

For example, you might change a WW2 game into a Star Wars one. Moddb.com is probably the biggest mod-hosting site.

It is legal and even encouraged by software developers, because mods (though free) require the user to have purchased the original game. Mods (as they are called) greatly extended the lifetime value of commercial PC games.

Now you know ;)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments D.M. Andrews (GoodReads Author) wrote: "Modding is the modification of commercial game engines into either an enhanced version or totally new iteration of the original game.

Think of the "editors" you get with some games that enable you..."

Fascinating...

So nothing like the modding I do...

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11186 comments Not sure it classes as a hobby but i do a lot of animal rescue work - i foster for one cat charity and i am a trustee for an animal charity, plus i fundraise for both. Fostering does allow me to combine my love of animals and reading. I enjoy walking but don't do it that much anymore, must change that this year

message 18: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 281 comments D.M. Andrews (GoodReads Author) wrote: "Modding is the modification of commercial game engines into either an enhanced version or totally new iteration of the original game.

Fanfic for programmers...

Thanks.

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Technically scripting rather than programming - tweaking and recoding the soft code rather than the hard code (which controls the program code). But I better shut up before being accused of being a geek ;)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments D.M. Andrews (GoodReads Author) wrote: "Technically scripting rather than programming - tweaking and recoding the soft code rather than the hard code (which controls the program code). But I better shut up before being accused of being a..."

Geek alert! Geek alert!

I love geeks. :)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh by the way, Andre. Those are lovely photos.

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Ooh, pics. Here's the cover artwork for one of my smaller projects - a mod based on the tale of Lugh of the Long Arm (Irish myth):

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was a fun project. I even made a phone call to Hollywood to speak with Jeff Danna to secure the use of some of their music for the mod. They've done scores for big films. It was always amazing to me how musicians, artists, etc. would give so freely to these volunteer/unpaid projects.

These contacts have served me well for book covers ;)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Oooh - thats a fabulous cover!

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments You should see what matte painters can do! If I was graphically gifted, I'd be a matte painter! They are the literary fiction authors of the visual artists' world ;)

message 25: by Katie (last edited Jun 07, 2012 02:25AM) (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 853 comments I love that cover!

As Andre knows, my hobby is playing the Celtic Harp. I gave it to myself as a 50th birthday present, one of those dreams that had to come true eventually, and I've been teaching myself to play ever since (not telling you how long that is!).

You can hear me play here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD9uQk...

message 26: by D.M. Andrews (author) (last edited Jun 07, 2012 03:31AM) (new)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Beautiful! Love it! I can't play any musical instrument for toffee...

Here's one of Danna's Celtic pieces - in fact the piece I first heard from them -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TezgC...

message 27: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 281 comments Most entertaining, that, Katie.

message 28: by Andre Jute (last edited Jun 07, 2012 02:23PM) (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 281 comments Love your pics, DM. I live in Ireland. There's a biggish piccie at http://coolmainpress.com/ajwriting/ar... of the leprechaun I almost caught, and a description of the non-secret part of my method at http://soupandnuts.wordpress.com/2012...

It's all true, of course.

message 29: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments I love the Cork accent.

message 30: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments I do a fair amount of acting - here's a clip from me performing in a charity production of Midsummer Night's Dream as Oberon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1lhqa...

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments That's not a REAL leprechaun! ;)

Ooh, a thespian - very good, Andrew. Always wanted to do something like that, but can't stand standing up in front of people...

[spoiler] Oberon makes an appearance in my next book! [/spoiler] ;)

message 32: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments I love treading the boards, have always thought it might be useful if I ever get the opportunity to do readings of my work. Titania in that clip has just finished a run in Wild Swans at the Young Vic - she's doing very well for herself!

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Hehe. I misread your opening there as "I love reading the boards"...Well, I' sure you do love that, too ;)

Yes, very well considering her many centuries...

message 34: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments Reading, treading, dreading, kneading, pleading, it's all good where boards are concerned.

message 35: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 281 comments The sun's just broken through here. I'm off cycling. Ciao.

message 36: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments We had our final rehearsal last night for Tale of Two Cities. On to the tech run and dress rehearsals over the weekend...

message 37: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21938 comments D.M. Andrews (GoodReads Author) wrote: "Modding is the modification of commercial game engines into either an enhanced version or totally new iteration of the original game.

Was that the 'Rome Total War' engine? I've played Rome Total Realism' in the past

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments Yes, Jim. I helped out RTR a little, and was "flown in" to convert Europa Barbarorum over to work from entirely within its own self-contained mod folder. There are some superb mods out there, most of which are listed at http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Released...

Ones labelled "Fourth Age" are mainly my own creations.

message 39: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21938 comments D.M. Andrews (GoodReads Author) wrote: "Yes, Jim. I helped out RTR a little, and was "flown in" to convert Europa Barbarorum over to work from entirely within its own self-contained mod folder. There are some superb mods out there, most ..."

When I played RTR I realised that some of the military history was taken from articles I'd done in the past. Can you imagine playing a game partially based on your preconceptions!
(Ancient military history down to the sort of level of detail needed for that sort of wargame is a very small field and mostly non-Professional)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments I hope they credited you ;) RTR and EB and FATW (the latter of which I headed as lead developer between 2006-9) had probably a million downloads between the three of them ;) (wish my books did!)

EB is probably the biggest one for academics. It has a team of historians on it and I believe even some educational establishments have used it to teach history.

message 41: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21938 comments I suspect that the people doing the game never knew, my stuff would feed in to the people who advised them.
Must admit I've not played it for a number of years (it's not installed on this machine and the installation disks are damaged. It had the capacity to take up far too much of my life so I didn't get another copy).
Given that I just don't play computer games the fact that I got so much fun out of Rome, Total Realism says a lot about the quality of it.

message 42: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 281 comments I love these threads that go walkabout. You always learn something new. I always think the self-appointed topic police are shooting themselves, and everyone else, in the foot.

This thread started with P. Turkish lover, and see where it has arrived!

message 43: by Robert (new)

Robert Clear (robertclear) | 33 comments Andre Jute wrote: "I love these threads that go walkabout. You always learn something new. I always think the self-appointed topic police are shooting themselves, and everyone else, in the foot.

This thread started ..."

Definitely. Turns out people have some pretty interesting hobbies.

message 44: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21938 comments Robert wrote: "Andre Jute wrote: "I love these threads that go walkabout. You always learn something new. I always think the self-appointed topic police are shooting themselves, and everyone else, in the foot.

T..."

Yes, it comes as a bit of a disappointment to discover so many of them have relapsed into becoming writers :-)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (dmandrews) | 1551 comments lol.

I never got to my other hobby yet! Genealogy!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments We have a group full of fascinating people.

As I read every post on every thread, I really get the full impact of it.

Our group rocks.

message 47: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21938 comments Patti
Was this a formal court sentence, or just a result of bad karma and a spectacular past life?

message 48: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 281 comments Yes, let's have all the sordid, exciting details of the "spectacular past life". We promise not to put them in more than three books, and to credit you by name.

message 49: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21938 comments Or alternatively, if you don't fall behind on the payments we'll still do three books but claim it's total fiction

message 50: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 281 comments Now this is a happier class of research!

« previous 1