Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Transgender authors and their profiles

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bee (new)

Bee Ostrowsky (sylvar) | 2 comments I am friends in real life with an author who has published under his own name as well as under his birth name, which was a female name. I believe I should leave the name on his earlier works as-is, but should I update the gender to male on the author profile with a female name? Should I add a Librarian Note linking to his main author profile?

message 2: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Okay, just to make sure I am understanding correctly...

The author was born female and published books under their female birth name. Then the author changed genders. The now male author is currently publishing under their new male name. Correct?

If so, the female name should be listed first on all the books originally published under that name. If any were later republished under the male name, then the male name should be listed as a secondary author. (This is how we handle books first published under a pseudonym and later republished under a different name).

Yes, please add a note to both profiles linking them to the other name.

Regarding the gender on the female name profile, this is not something that has come up before (at least for me). In my humble opinion, I would leave the gender female, since the author was female at the time the books were written/published.

message 3: by Bee (last edited Jun 05, 2012 10:23AM) (new)

Bee Ostrowsky (sylvar) | 2 comments OK, thanks. (You are understanding correctly.)

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Gender isn't a required field; you could also just leave that field blank. (For example, see Pat Califia.)