The Gothic Novel Book Club <Hiatus> discussion

The Writers > The Brontes

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Stephen Hegedus | 205 comments Mod
Here you can discuss any of the Brontes, their works and the lives.

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 154 comments I love the Brontes! I have read all of their novels, except for The Professor by Charlotte, although I do have it (I have one big volume with all of Charlotte's and Emily's novels [all one of Emily's!]).

Wuthering Heights is one of my two favorite novels ever. I recently learned that Emily was finishing up another novel when she died, and that her publisher had advertised that it would be coming out, but apparently Charlotte, who did not like Wuthering Heights, prevented it from being published. What a loss!!!

Charlotte's novel Villette is often mentioned as her masterpiece, but I have to admit that it is my least favorite of the three I have read. It is difficult for me to choose my favorite from Jane Eyre and Shirley. I think I found the story and characters in Shirley to be more appealing, but Jane Eyre has a stronger impact and is a more powerful work.

Anne is often overlooked, but I have read both of her novels. Agnes Grey is not the greatest, but The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, while not rising all the way to the level of Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights, deserves to be read alongside them.

I love the Brontes too. I've read all three of them - my favourite being Emily's Wuthering Heights, then Charlotte's Jane Eyre and then Anne's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Granted, I never finished Anne's novel, maybe one day I will. I took a class on the brontes in my fourth year at university and I really loved it. We read every novel written by them - except The Professor. I barely got through Shirley and Villette though. I tried again in my fifth year for another class and I couldn't do it.

message 4: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 154 comments My college had something called "Jan Plan", where we would do just one thing for a month in between semesters (I had a shorter Christmas vacation than my other friends who went to other schools, though!). There were courses offered, or we could do something independent, on or off campus - the possibilities were very broad. One year I took a class on the Brontes. As I recall, we read everything except for Shirley and The Professor. We did read some of the juvenilia and Elizabeth Gaskell's biography of Charlotte. We also watched one of the Jane Eyre movies (the one with George C. Scott). I really enjoyed that class!!! So, Stephen, does your post mean that, like me, the only novel you haven't read is The Professor?

I still have to read Shirley, Villette, The Professor and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

There's just three of them Rida :P

message 7: by Leah (new)

Leah (uncorkedthoughts) As my dissertation in my final year at University I discussed Emily's 'Wuthering Heights' from the perspective of the Gothic Uncanny. I adored the book and couldn't wait to get into it further! Despite having the collection of the Brontes works, I have only read 'Wuthering Heights', 'Jane Eyre' and the beginning of 'Villete'.

message 8: by Paulina (new)

Paulina (paulinabibliophile) | 192 comments I'm told the Tenant of Wildfell Hall is amazing!! Can't wait to start it. I agree with Rida, so many!! lol

message 9: by Lizz (new)

Lizz | 2 comments Didn't they die of TB? I became totally fascinated by it and read "Living in the Shadow of Death" and "The White Death" They are both non-fiction books dealing with TB in the nineteenth century. They were enthralling. And yes, I'm weird.

message 10: by Leah (new)

Leah (uncorkedthoughts) Lizz wrote: "Didn't they die of TB? I became totally fascinated by it and read "Living in the Shadow of Death" and "The White Death" They are both non-fiction books dealing with TB in the nineteenth century. ..."

I think so yes, devastated we were left with only one novel by Emily. I love reading critical works on them :) I find them fascinating!

message 11: by Stephen Hegedus (new)

You're right. They did die of TB. Not all of them though. Their mother died from complication of child labour. Elizabeth, Maria, Anne, Emily and Charlotte, Branwell and their father all died of TB. Charlotte was pregnant at the time too.

At least, I think their father died of TB.