The Gothic Novel Book Club <Hiatus> discussion

The Writers > Charles Dickens

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen Hegedus (last edited Jun 05, 2012 08:38AM) (new)

Stephen Hegedus | 205 comments Mod
Here you can discuss the writer, any of his works or his life. Enjoy!

message 2: by Paulina (new)

Paulina (paulinabibliophile) | 192 comments I've had people ask me what my favourite Dickens novel is, but I find it's an impossible question to answer. There are some I like more than others, but is there one that defines all the reasons I like him? Nope. What about you guys?

Great Expectations...maybe it's because it's the only one I've read :P

message 4: by Paulina (new)

Paulina (paulinabibliophile) | 192 comments Read some more and get back to me. Oliver Twist at the very least!

I have Little Dorrit and David Copperfield on my bookshelf. I think I'll attempts those first . I also have Oliver Twist and A Tale of Two Cities on my iPhone - but I doubt you'd want me reading from those ;)

message 6: by Paulina (new)

Paulina (paulinabibliophile) | 192 comments David Copperfield!! Read that!

That will be the next Dickens I read.

I've already read Dickens. The first novel of his that I read was Great Expectations. I've heard good things about all of his novels. It's hat about finding the time to read them.

Thank you for your recommendations though Rida.

message 10: by Louise (last edited Jun 06, 2012 11:16AM) (new)

Louise That and Dickens mostly wrote seriealised stories in magazines - if the public (or a friend) didn't like a story development he'd drop/alter it on the fly.

I actually haven't read much Dickens, though I believe I've seen most of them on the BBC. Got put off by my school trying to make me read Great Expectations and never got past chapter 8. Since then I've read Oliver Twist (funny but a little too sickly sweet in places, am glad most film/tv adaptations cut the Rose character) and all of his ghost stories except A Christmas Carol (some good, some bad, most somewhere in between, but he does try to do interesting things rather than go for straight up horror each time). So am hoping I'll be more receptive to appreciating Great Expectations once I finally get my copy. Gunna have to cram in my reading to the last couple of weeks of the month though - postage is being slooow.

message 11: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (thephantomphilosopher) Louise wrote: "That and Dickens mostly wrote seriealised stories in magazines..."

You got it. It terms of length, I believe at the time authors were payed per word. The more they wrote, the more they were payed. The example my Lit. teacher always used was The Fall of the House of Usher. The descriptions are ridiculously detailed. Part of the reason was the payment. That theory lacks too much romance for me though.

message 12: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 154 comments I love Dickens, but I would be hard pressed to name a favorite. I have read a fair number, but there are still many left to go. I can say, though, that my least favorite was The Old Curiosity Shop. It's a bit too melodramatic for me, especially when it gets to the end. I don't dislike it, though - there are still lots of great characters and plot points, and Quilp is a great villain.

message 13: by Stephen Hegedus (new)

Louise and Vicky, you are right. Dickens was paid by the word. Most writers were back then anyway - I know Gaskell was. She and Dickens were great friends, I heard too.

message 14: by Robin (new)

Robin (drgraynicks) I'm new here, so this is one of my first comments.

I noticed the comments about Dickens and Poe being paid by the word and wanted to interject. People frequently make this assertion about Dickens, but this is the first time I've heard it about Poe. I'm a university professor, and I specialize in Poe, who overlaps quite a lot with Dickens and hung out with him when the latter visited the States the first time.

Anyway, that Dickens--and Poe and others--were paid by the word is a common misconception that has been passed along for decades. Dickens was paid by installment but not by the word. There's some discussion of this at the Dickens project: http://dickens.ucsc.edu/resources/faq...

Poe is a slightly different story but still was not paid by the word and often actually received no payment for a story. For example, Poe edited Burton's Gentleman's Magazine when "The Fall of the House of Usher" appeared in it, and they could not afford to pay authors much if anything for their work. Poe wrote most of the pieces in that issue, even though he didn't sign most and used a pen name on others, and he received no payment outside of what he received as the editor of the magazine (about $10 a week).

This is one of my passions. I could talk about Poe and his contemporaries all day:)

message 15: by Louise (new)

Louise Robin wrote: "Anyway, that Dickens--and Poe and others--were paid by the word is a common misconception that has been passed along for decades. Dickens was paid by installment but not by the word. "

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That's one of my pet peeves too. I didn't know that about Poe though, so thanks for that too! I really need to read more Poe, I think. Everything I have read so far I've loved but somehow I've never got round to picking up his complete works off the bookshelf.

message 16: by Louise (new)

Louise Oh, sorry. By complete works I just meant the big anthology with all his poems/short stories in I have sitting on my bookshelf.

message 17: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (thephantomphilosopher) Rida wrote: "Ohhh, thanks for clearing that up, you guys (this right here is why I love GR :P).

But Robin, that's so sad! Poe was a genius! Though true, horror stories in the Victorian era were probably like ..."

I just wanted to say that I love your characterization of heavy metal! It really made me laugh, mostly because it's spot on. Even my friends look at me like I'm crazy some times when I blast some angry metal after a frustrating day.

message 18: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 154 comments What, only freaks like heavy metal? Uh-oh....

message 19: by Stephen Hegedus (new)

I never liked heavy metal...

message 20: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 154 comments But a lot of it is Gothic!!!

message 21: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 154 comments Yes, for example, Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath.

message 22: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (thephantomphilosopher) I love Black Sabbath. I've only heard a few songs by Alice Cooper. I like to balance metal with some "old time rock 'n roll" as Bob Seger would say.

message 23: by Paulina (new)

Paulina (paulinabibliophile) | 192 comments I'm gonna stir the crazy pot and ask you guys how you feel about this, http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2012...

message 24: by Stephen Hegedus (new)

That looks SO SO AWESOME!!

message 25: by Paulina (new)

Paulina (paulinabibliophile) | 192 comments What?! It's so fake, it's ridiculous. Why could they not just leave it to our imagination? Big let down.

message 26: by Stephen Hegedus (new)

I think it looks cool! :O Then again, I'm not a big Dickens expert...

message 27: by Paulina (new)

Paulina (paulinabibliophile) | 192 comments Agreed. It's like they took the images out of my head, beat them against a rock a few times until they were deadened and then used them as the foundation for this park. Sigh.

message 28: by Louise (new)

Louise Haha, Dickens World. My big sister actually lives near there so I already have half-formed plans to visit sometime, just for giggles.

I actually don't think the idea is too bad - there's a great outdoor museum in North England where they've taken apart genuine Victorian buildings due to be demolished, piece by piece, and then put them back together to form a 'new' Victorian town for people to explore. However this just looks painfully fake and very very gimicky. If I do go I'll be sure to write up a report and take some photos for you all though!