Lexington Reads discussion

buddy reads > Genre discussions

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Doug (last edited Jun 05, 2012 08:06AM) (new)

Doug | 58 comments Mod
To help stimulate some more conversation online, I'd like to start some discussion threads based on favorite genres. If there's a specific genre you'd like to discuss, be sure to share it here!

message 2: by Kit (new)

Kit I can't say that I have a reading style. I love almost anything! I try to read something from every genre-Im in about five groups at the moment, (and searching for more!)

I think I would love to explore KY more and read around the counties if possible. Thought I might set my own challenge for 2013 and take a tour of KY-do an ABC road trip of counties-a place, author or book title for each county I can find info on. Would love to learn more folklore and folkhistory, cooking, etc. per county.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I tend to read mostly fantasy & SF with a heavy does of murder mysteries, but I listen to the last more as audio books on my commute.

message 4: by Harley (new)

Harley (harley12) | 28 comments Kit wrote: "I can't say that I have a reading style. I love almost anything! I try to read something from every genre-Im in about five groups at the moment, (and searching for more!)

I think I would love ..."

Kit....here are some links for old cookbooks and recipes I have in my "E" collection.
All are well over 100 years old and there are several that list the Ky city of the recipe contributor.
I thought you might find them to be helpful in meeting your 2013 challenge.

http://www.oldlouisville.com/recipes/

The Old Louisville Recipe Book….Published 1903….. a collection of traditional genuine Kentucky and Southern recipes, most over 100 years old. They would have all been familiar to the early residents of Old Louisville.
Read On-line.

http://openlibrary.org/works/OL206962...

Bluegrass cookbook…..Published 1917…..Numerous recipes from Kentucky contributors …. Read On-line.

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL716575...

Southern Cookbook of fine old recipes…Published in 1935…Ky recipes for Burgoo (for 1200 & “small parties”)…Kentucky Pie from Idle Hour Farma(now Darby Dan Farm)

message 5: by Kit (new)

Kit Awesome! Thank you. I owe you one. I love quilt patterns too.

message 6: by Kit (last edited Jun 06, 2012 11:56AM) (new)

Kit I just found an interesting book, Down Cut Shin Creek: The Pack Horse Librarians of Kentucky. I have read in the past about the "pack horse nurses of KY; this sounds equally interesting. Its J-but atleast its a"check-out" not reference.

message 7: by Doug (new)

Doug | 58 comments Mod
There's a great poster, commissioned a few years ago by SIRS Publishing, of the pack horse librarians, hanging in the administrative office of the Lexington Public Library. I'm glad to know there's a book about these great women!

message 8: by Kit (new)

Kit Doug wrote: "There's a great poster, commissioned a few years ago by SIRS Publishing, of the pack horse librarians, hanging in the administrative office of the Lexington Public Library. I'm glad to know there's..."

I can't wait to read it! :D

message 9: by Hailey (new)

Hailey (goodwhm) | 10 comments I tend to read YA, paranormal and fantancy. I just love some of the faerie novels (wicked lovely by melissa marr). It is nice to see faeries aren't all tinker bell.

message 10: by Jim (last edited Jul 27, 2012 06:18AM) (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Kit wrote: "I just found an interesting book, Down Cut Shin Creek: The Pack Horse Librarians of Kentucky. I have read in the past about the "pack horse nurses of KY; this sounds equally interesting. Its J-but ..."

That does look interesting. Thanks.

message 11: by Mari (new)

Mari (mariadkins) | 53 comments Hailey wrote: "I tend to read YA, paranormal and fantancy. I just love some of the faerie novels (wicked lovely by melissa marr). It is nice to see faeries aren't all tinker bell."

Have you found Seanan McGuire? She has a series out that's fantastic. Her fey aren't nice.

message 12: by Hailey (new)

Hailey (goodwhm) | 10 comments Mari wrote: "Hailey wrote: "I tend to read YA, paranormal and fantancy. I just love some of the faerie novels (wicked lovely by melissa marr). It is nice to see faeries aren't all tinker bell."

Have you found ..."

I have been reading Holly Black. She has some really good books. I will have to look up Seanan McGuire. Las week was my zombie kick. I turned back in Dust & Decay. Hope that got it to you. :-) I think this week is more of a vampire/deamon week. If you get a chance try Holly's books. I really enjoyed them.

message 13: by Mari (new)

Mari (mariadkins) | 53 comments I'll go search for her on Amazon right now. I'm patiently waiting for the trade paperback edition of D&D to be released - it's been pre-ordered. :)

message 14: by Doug (new)

Doug | 58 comments Mod
So here are our favorite genres, based on our current reading:

Fantasy (54 percent)
General fiction (13 percent)
Mystery (10 percent)
Science fiction (9 percent)
Historical fiction (8 percent)
Religion (7 percent)
Biography (6 percent)
Romance (6 percent)
History (6 percent)
Thriller/horror (6 percent)
Other: how-to, travel, science, sports, philosophy, music)

message 15: by Grace (new)

Grace | 5 comments I read a lot of fantasy and paranormal. Of course I also have to add in historical fiction and mysteries. I read both adult and YA. Comics and manga. To say the least, I am all over the place. I will read anything that is appealing with a plot that can not only grab but keep my attention.