FATTIES UNITE! discussion

Thread Graveyard > January Workouts

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angelica (last edited Jan 06, 2009 03:53PM) (new)

Angelica (angelica221) So with all the New Year's Resolutions... how have your January workouts been going? What have you been doing? I've been rowing... I love to plop my butt on the rower in front of the tv and just row..

mary elizabeth  Williams hi petunia, that sounds like a good idea. i like exercising in front of the tv also, it goes faster. how much did your rower cost? i am interested in buying some home equipment, but can't afford something fancy like an elliptical or treadmill.

i started doing bikram yoga (hot yoga). i got a 10 day introductory rate for $20. which is a good deal. but i did two classes and hated it, so haven't been back for two days. i think i will give it another chance tomorrow and try to get my money's worth.

its sort of hard to get back into the routine after holiday break. today was my first day back at work and i am exausted.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
January workouts are going ok--not great.
I swam on New Years Day for about a half hour.
I was supposed to go to the gym AND go for a walk this past Monday, but both of those plans kind of fizzled.
Went to the gym yesterday and did the 30 minute quick workout.
Plan to go back to day, but my gym buddy is still sleeping. (I think I mentioned that elsewhere.)
I'm considering: joining a pool and starting a kickball team. :) I'm sick to death of boring workouts. You guys are right on about working out at home--it just takes willpower, of which I'm extremely laking... :( Maybe I'll log off and do some situps RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Go on your own! Forget the gym buddy!

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Beth, check craigslist, freecycle, and your local thrift shops for deals on exercise equpiment!

message 6: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Hey Beth,

The rower that I use is called Waterrower. They have a website called www.waterrower.com and it takes you through the different exercises. Craigslist rocks we were able to purchase other exercise equipment off of there for cheap. Just take someone with you when you go to check it out.

For motivation and working out at home, if I know someone else is working out then I will do it too. I don't have to work out with them, I just have to know they are working out somehow. If I know I have to post it, then I will definitely work out. I know I'm strange.

message 7: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) I am really anxious to join the Y, but my Hubby has "issues" due to his job... he's here... then he's not... he's here then he's there... so, he's trying to talk to someone before we go in to make sure that we aren't paying an arm and a leg for him when he's away so much... I believe we are going in this weekend regardless and signing up... I can't wait... I WANT to sweat - lol

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Trudy, what made you choose the Y over a less expensive gym?

message 9: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) There are 2 gyms that are actually closer to me than the Y, but they are way expensive and honestly I didn't even set foot into them to check them out based on the price. I had also heard they are like "designer gyms" where you need to look good BEFORE you join - lol.

There is also a NYSC across the street from work that would be more reasonable, but it is an hour from home so weekends would be problematic.

So, it basically boiled down to a couple membership is $75 a month (reasonable) and everything I need is there, it is a short drive from my house, accessible on weekends, AND it has a pool which is a plus for me. For him, it has a b-ball court and an indoor running track.

We did find a cheaper one, but again, the location/drive would be problematic to maintain consistency.

message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Trudy,do you get to do any of the programs for free,or at a much reduced cost with your membership?Here in canada that is part of the membership benefits and they offer a wide range of programs,from Pilates to Yoga. All in all a pretty good deal.

For the first time in a couple of months I did a serious workout. Not the sissy-assed,guilt-induced ones I'd been doing lately. I feel great! Now,if I can manage to do it all again tomorrow!

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Yeah, our Y is expensive, 65 bucks a month. But our kids take some classes/lessons that are more expensive for non-members...I'm hoping my family uses it more now that we've joined again...

message 12: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) I've worked out at Gyms and I find them overwhelming. I remember looking up and seeing all these people on elipticals. They somehow reminded me of hamsters on wheels. Going and going and going... plus the gym by me is always crowded and busy. Not sure if it's a designer gym.

message 13: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) lol - hamsters...

yep - Aerobics, I think, are actually included in the membership and other classes are at a lower cost for memeber... not that much lower, but I think we also get the preferred enrollment... 60 for singles, 75 for family/couples here...

message 14: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Here is another thought for work outs: I just got a continuing education flyer for my local town. They have several classes in there and they are held at the local high school. 8 week sessions for about $88 depending on the class...

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Great idea! Thanks, Trudy. I forgot that all our colleges here in town have adult, non-credit courses.

message 16: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) I did a non credit Yoga course once. It was cool.

message 17: by Trudy (last edited Jan 09, 2009 05:41AM) (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) Yep colleges offer the same things too... This one was actually for my town which was even better since it is closer than any of the Universities!!! It is also cool since you get to find out with relatively low commitment and cost if you like the class. They are typically yoga type programs, but mine is offering a Cardio Kickboxing class. Which based on timing and with Hubby here is not realistic for me to take... not to mention that I really do need to kick up my cardio endurance before I even think of doing something like that!

message 18: by Amanda (new)

I BOUGHT MYSELF A BICYCLE YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!

message 19: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Coolness! What kind? Hybrid, Mountain or Road? What color?

message 20: by Amanda (new)

It looks like a little beach cruiser but it has 21 speeds instead of just three. It's definitely a road/commuter bike, designed with riding on the same streets as cars, but the dude at the bike shop was saying that the tires are a little tougher than a normal commuter bike so it can handle some rough road--not mountain biking though...

I need to practice riding. I have absolutely no stamina!

message 21: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Just keep going at it. Stamina doesn't take too long to build up. Just watch out for hills. Become one with your granny gear! Depending on how steep the hill is, the granny gear can totally be a lifesaver!!! If you can, see if there is a bike club in the area and go on rides with them. Check with your bike shop, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I agree that stamina comes pretty quickly...seven months ago I wouldn't dream of an hour on an elliptical...now I knock off an hour pretty much every day.

message 23: by Sherry (new)

Sherry YAY Amanda!!! Good idea about the bike club.

message 24: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (tblaine9) I have stabalized at around a half and 3/4 percent loss each week (without exercise). Started at the Y yesterday and I hope to pick up another half to 3/4 percent from the extra activity... We'll see how that goes... I did a half hour on the bike and started the treadmill before hubby came to get me... All in all - a good first night

message 25: by Amanda (new)

Rockin, sista!