The Doctor Rules!!!!!! discussion

For Those Who Like To Read > Favorite Author

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Who's your favorite author? Why?

message 3: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) I have so many favorites!

J. R. R. Tolkien - Lord of the Rings. Need I say more?

C. S. Lewis - He basically shaped my childhood and much of my teenagehood.

Maggie Stiefvater - She's a great writer, and I think she's an awesome human being (I read her blog all the time).

Fyodor Dostoevsky - Superb master on describing the human psychology.

Franz Kafka - Genius. Poor, depressed genius. For such a short book, The Metamorphosis was a whopper.

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (captainbubbles) | 1566 comments J.K. Rowling- Do I even need to mention the book's name?

Ditto to Eris: J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis. Did you know that they livd around the same time?

and
Brandon Mull- Fablehaven and Candy Shop War and Beyonders,
M.L. Forman- Adventurers Wanted Series,
and Trenton Lee Stewart- Mysterious Benedict Society

message 5: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) Tolkien and Lewis didn't just live around the same time - those two were best friends!

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (captainbubbles) | 1566 comments :) I know, my dad told me!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Neal Shusterman- Everlost, Full Tilt, all the best books!

Wendy Mass- 11 Birthdays, Every Soul a Star, A Mango Shaped Space

James Patterson- I don't think I have to explain here!

C.S. Lewis- Last year went on a splurge and read all the Chronicles of Narnia in a row; probably my favorite long length series

Jane Austen- Pride and Prejudice; slow maybe but loved it!

message 8: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) Everlost and both of its sequels were great books - Neal Shusterman is so underrated in the YA world.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Exactly. People just sort of write him off for some reason. Have you read some of his first books? They're great even though they're shorter! Dissidents, What Daddy Did, Downsiders- All great books, but like you said, underrated.

message 10: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (seeyouspacecowboy) I have not read any of his other works, unfortunately (I have about two feet of books I have to read right besides my bed!), but if I have a chance during this summer I will definitely try to read them. I think I want to read Full Tilt. It looked very good!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

It's the BEST! Full Tilt is a really quick read though. So since you have all those books to read, this is one you can easily and insert into the middle and read it in a day. It's quick moving and really suspensful. I liked it, I hope you do to!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

: ) about the blog? It's mine. Did you like it?

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (captainbubbles) | 1566 comments Yup! I put "Juliet's Club" on my to-read list. :) (That is what it is called right?)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

It's The Juliet Club but you were close enough! I'm glad I persuaded you!
; )

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (captainbubbles) | 1566 comments Same difference! *referring to the title of the book*

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep! I feel happy inside that people enjoy my blog.

message 20: by ani (new)

ani (ani_ani) | 5 comments My favourite author is rapidly becoming James Goss who writes 'tie-in' Doctor Who, Torchwood, Being Human and Dark Shadows stories for BBC Books and for Big Finish and Audio Go.

His humour suits me perfectly, the stories are great and the characterisations seem pitch perfect to me.

message 21: by Jadyn (new)

Jadyn (fldsmdfr) I love Joseph Delaney and Erin Hunter!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Dan Brown and John Green are two names I don't see mentioned- so I thought I would bring them up :)
Dan Brown has written books like "Angels and Demons" and "Da Vinci Code" (for those who don't know). He is an absolutely fantastic storyteller! Any books that he writes with Robert Langdon as the main character- automatic best seller. He's coming out with a new book in May and I am BEYOND PUMPED!
John Green has written five novels and all are fantastically tragic and wonderfully thoughtful. He is really a man made up of quotes- he is funny as he is intelligent and I have yet to read a book of his that didn't make me cry with sadness, get cramps in my cheeks from laughing and stop and ponder the universe. I recommend "The Fault in Our Stars" to EVERYBODY!
So...
yeah :)

message 23: by Novia (new)

Novia (novroz) | 236 comments Stephen King :)

message 24: by CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (last edited Apr 04, 2013 07:40AM) (new)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 1146 comments Mod
Got a few.
Douglas Adams -his style and humor

J.R.R. Tolkien - Thoroughly enjoyed Lord of the Rings when I read it. Not as into as I was when I was a teen.

Mark Twain - You gotta like at least one classic author.

Fred Saberhagen - Like his style. Empire of the East was his first book I read and I enjoyed it. Reminded me of why I liked Lord of the Rings.

Anne McCaffrey - Haven't read the Dragonriders books, but the other books I have read I really liked.

Mercedes Lackey - Read the Gryphon books and loved them.

Larry Niven - Ringworld 'nuff said.

There are a few others I enjoy including most of the regular Doctor Who Authors (all the series), Star Trek Authors.

message 25: by Sinda (new)

Sinda Quietus (superwholockedtrekacrossthestars) | 553 comments Mod
For Star Trek I really like Peter David's writing.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 1146 comments Mod
Sinda wrote: "For Star Trek I really like Peter David's writing."

Ditto.

He is on my list of authors I like but I don't consider a "favorite". More sort of a really like.

message 27: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (rie10) | 50 comments I only have a few authors I can say i really like. mostly just go for if i like the story (usually Sci-Fi/Fantasy). Sherrilyn Kenyon is great! She has the Dark Hunter series, hard to explain but pretty involved; it is a bit more paranormal romance at times, but skipping some of that the stories are really good. The League series, which is more sci-fi as it is outerstpace/varioud plantes and races, etc.
The Lords of Avalon (what happens after arthur dies?) from her as Kinley MacGreggor.

I also enjoy HP Lovecraft and am likely going to read the Game of Thrones series as soon as i can get them. Anne McCaffrey; read a few of the dragonriders books and need to get to more of them. Also the DrangonLance books. Usually various authors, but i have enjoied many of them.

message 28: by Trevor (new)

Trevor | 5 comments I LOVE Rick Reorden - Percy Jackson, The Lost Hero, Cane Cronles!

message 29: by Annie (new)

Annie (ultimatehungergamesfan) | 28 comments Trevor wrote: "I LOVE Rick Reorden - Percy Jackson, The Lost Hero, Cane Cronles!"

My sister is OBSESSED with Rick Riordan! I prefer Yann Martel and Suzanne Collins

message 30: by Ollie (new)

Ollie Bradshaw (sebastian-bach) | 52 comments I love john barrowmans autobiographies

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Suzanne Collins, kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, and um I don't really have fav authors... Just books... :|

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

J.K. Rowling
Colleen Hoover
Sarah Dessen

message 34: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 53 comments I have a lot of authors that I like and would consider among my favorites for different things I read so I will list a number of them. I do have one over all favorite and then I will list others broken down, mostly by tie-in series. I do this because I read mostly tie-in series and my favorite authors from each would not be recognized if I only listed the one.

My favorite author is Dennis L McKiernan.

others author's I like a lot are:
Glen Cook
Bernard Cornwell

Favorite Star Trek authors:
Peter David(also a great Babylon 5 author)
Keith R.A. DeCandido(also a great Farscape author)
Howard Weinstein

Favorite Star Wars:
James Luceno
Michael Reaves
Timothy Zahn

Favorite Dr Who:
Paul Cornell
Lance Parkin
Terence Dicks
Gareth Roberts

Favorite Horror:
Edgar Allen Poe
HP Lovecraft
Clive Barker

Favorite Ravenloft:
P.N. Elrod
J. Robert King
Gene DeWeese(also a great Star Trek author)

Favorite 40k:
Aaron Dembski-Bowden
Graham McNeil
Dan Abnett

Marie -The Reading Otter (thereadingotter) JK Rowling
Anne Rice
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Abbi Glines
Karice Bolton
Penelope King
Leigh Bardugo
Marie Lu
Jessica Sorensen
Morgan Rhodes
Tahereh Mafi
Laini Taylor
Rae Hachton

message 37: by A.K. (new)

A.K. Klemm | 2 comments Paul Collins. He is the author of Banvard's Folly and Sixpence House among many others, I love him.

Lately, I have found Kate Morton rather inspiring.

message 38: by Kyren (new)

Kyren | 19 comments J.R.R. Tolkien
Juliet Marilliers
JK Rowling
Scott Westerfield
Cassandra Clare
Robin Mckinley
C.S Lewis
Orson Scott Card
Charles Dickenson
Rick Riordon
Maggie Stiefvater

Beck (formerly Boo) (boooty) As of right now, probably
JRR Tolkien
Cassandra Clare
(Whoops
I'll edit this later)

message 40: by Isabelle Jade (new)

Isabelle Jade (isabellejade) Jk Rowling because HOW COULD YOU NOT RIGHT?

Elizabeth Wein- Of the amazing Code Name Verity

.........so many more that arent coming to mind at the moment.......

Oscar Wilde- because The Picture Of Dorian Gray=Fantastic (as the ninth doctor would say:))