The Doctor Rules!!!!!! discussion

For Those Who Like To Read > Watcha Readin'?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 258 (258 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Whatcha Readin'? Give the title, author, a short summary if you want, your review, and the genre!

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (captainbubbles) | 1566 comments EVERYTHING! Ha ha. I just got a load of books for my B-day. Need to finish them.

message 3: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Ocampo (seeyouspacecowboy) I am 150 pages away from completing Crime and Punishment, by one of the greatest writers ever, Fyodor Dostoevsky. I am enjoying it tremendously. As for a summary:

Man kills two people with an ax. That's the Crime. Man is then eaten away throughout the book by guilt, mania, and delirium - that's the Punishment. The man must seek redemption, or perish because of his Punishment.

It's incredible.

message 5: by Marlene (last edited Jun 18, 2012 05:01PM) (new)

Marlene Ocampo (seeyouspacecowboy) I think we'll get along just fine! :D

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading The Goodness Gene by Sonia Levitin.

Basically, in the future everyone is born in a labratory and everything is controlled by the government. You can imagine. It's the utopian "dream". Then Will, the president/director's son, discovers the secret and the wrongdoings in society and must let everyone know even though doing so would go against all his Father strives to do and all that he's done.

It's pretty much your average sci-fi book, but I love it! Sci fi is my favorite genre.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Check out this blog! I found it and love it!

www.reading-is-the-answer.blogspot.com

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, it's actually mine. I didn't want you (or others) to be prejudiced...
: )

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (captainbubbles) | 1566 comments HAHAHAHAHAHA! I AM SO PREJUDICED! IT'S HORRIBLE.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

: )

message 13: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (misswannareadalot) | 1507 comments Eris wrote: "I am 150 pages away from completing Crime and Punishment, by one of the greatest writers ever, Fyodor Dostoevsky. I am enjoying it tremendously. As for a summary:

Man kills two people with an ax. ..."

0_0

message 15: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Ocampo (seeyouspacecowboy) I also love The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka! Plot summary is as follows:

Man turns into a bug. Family hates him and despises him for being a bug, and it is so heartbreaking because the man is still the man he was inside. Eventually he becomes vermin to his family, and they rejoice when he dies.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

You enjoy books about death, don't you? I imagine you enjoy Shakespeare's tragedies?

message 17: by Marlene (last edited Jun 30, 2012 11:05AM) (new)

Marlene Ocampo (seeyouspacecowboy) Actually I do...

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN TANGLED!!!!

I suppose that's why you like Tangled because the guy gets stabbed at the end? I almost wanted him to die just becuase then it would break the everything ends happily ever after atmosphere of Disney. I'm not heartless! (At least, not fully!) ;) But, it would be a good switchup. Then again, kids wouldn't be allowed to watch it without parental supervision...

message 19: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Ocampo (seeyouspacecowboy) Well... I did cry a LITTLE when he died and was very happy when he came back. Sometimes I am a sucker for Disney happy endings. :) :) :)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

; )

I was watching it with my cousin, (Who, actually, laughed during the Hunger Games.) and she literally leaped off the couch and cried out, "Awesome!" Then he came back to life and she was all, "Seriously?" I don't know how to explain it, she's just...odd, weird, interesting, disturbed?

message 21: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Ocampo (seeyouspacecowboy) I'd go for disturbed. ;)

Goodness gracious, Kirsty, you've changed your name! The Protector of All Things David Tennant? I believe that Georgia Moffett would fight you for that title. Ah, the life of a David Tennant fangirl is a difficult one.

You could go for "The Protector of David Tennant's Fwuffy Hair." How's that sound? :D

message 22: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Ocampo (seeyouspacecowboy) Don't worry, I'm joking. :) I know how delectable David Tennant is.

And look! You inspired me to add stuff to my username as well! How fun! Nemo is Latin for "nobody," by the way.

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 02, 2012 04:04PM) (new)

Oh! I thought that you were referring to Disney's Nemo as in the orange fish. Okay, well that makes SO much more sense!

But, Eris, you aren't nobody! You are Eris: Thoughtful and Faithful Contributer to the Doctor Rules group! You have made me rethink (but sadly not change) my ideas. (Whoever acehievs that, I will be extremely amazed.) Plus, I have no doubt that you are a productive member of our society.

message 24: by Marlene (last edited Jul 02, 2012 07:57PM) (new)

Marlene Ocampo (seeyouspacecowboy) Trust me, Latin will set you free!

And awww, thank ye! I doubt I'll change your mind (and I doubt you'll ever change mine, so don't worry about it!), but it is lovely to have Doctor Who discussions with a fellow human being.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

My cousin is taking Latin. Is it easy or hard to learn? I'm thinkning about taking French because I plan to live in Paris one day.

message 26: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Ocampo (seeyouspacecowboy) I'm not sure if it's hard or easy, as I've just begun studying it, although I've always been familiar with Romantic languages, thanks to a year's worth of taking Spanish and a semester of Italian. The wonderful thing about Latin, though, is once you learn the language it opens you up to so many new languages, and it makes it easier to learn them. Even just a basic grounding in the language can enrich your education.

Latin is certainly easier to learn than Russian, though, I can guarantee that!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

You know Russian!??!! That's awesome!!

message 28: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Ocampo (seeyouspacecowboy) I do not know Russian (trust me, I ain't that cool - I can sing a little in Russian, but that's about it), but I tried studying it once, and it was very complicated.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Too bad! I'd love to learn Russian....and French, and Japanese, and Italian.... I have many life goals.

message 30: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Ocampo (seeyouspacecowboy) Me too! A lot of my goals are travel related, so being familiar with foreign languages will definitely be needed. At least I don't have to worry about England! I so badly want to go there. London, Dartmoor, Northern England... I really want to go to Northern England. My great-grandmother was English, and I wouldn't mind researching her family there. :)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Me too. I was there when my flight to Africa had some time inbetween connecting flights. We took a London Bus Tour. It was awesome but SO COLD! I fell asleep the last part of the way because of jet lag and such but I did get pics of big ben and other things. I'll post them! Just a sec, sorry they may be huge.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

The Tube, as it's called. Like a subway.

A famous statue, although I can't remember the name!

Westminster Abbey.

Big Ben. Sorry, it's sideways. Also,there was a tree in the way. As I said, I was on a bus and it was hard to get a shot.

I believe this is Picadilly but not comepletly sure.

Again, it's sideways but it's the Burberry headquarters. I'm a fashion nut as well. ^_^

And this is a plane at Heathrow Airport.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry, it's super out of focus and huge, but you get the gist, right?

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (captainbubbles) | 1566 comments Kirsty ~ Protecter of All Things David Tennant wrote: "My cousin is taking Latin. Is it easy or hard to learn? I'm thinkning about taking French because I plan to live in Paris one day."

Latin is harder than other languages, because it's not used often. It's a dead language.

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (captainbubbles) | 1566 comments Kirsty ~ Protecter of All Things David Tennant wrote: "Sorry, it's super out of focus and huge, but you get the gist, right?"

Yeah!

message 36: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Ocampo (seeyouspacecowboy) I do get the gist! That is so awesome that you got to see London! And whatever that statue was you didn't blink at it, so everything is fine. :)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 1146 comments Mod
yeah mega huge. Can you shrink them down a little? I'm not sure if the editing feature of posts allows changing the size of images or not. I don't usually add pictures round here.

message 38: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Ocampo (seeyouspacecowboy) It tells how to shrink the images in the (some html is ok) feature above the message box.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry, I'm not that talented yet. I guess if you really wanted to see them you could copy them into a Word document or Notepad and shrink it there. Sorry about the size!

message 40: by Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (last edited Jul 06, 2012 02:20PM) (new)

Kaleigh - Captain Bubbles ESTP(intj) (captainbubbles) | 1566 comments Ha ha. :) You'll get the hang of it eventually.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, that's what I keep telling myself...

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah, fudge i can't flippin' see them!

message 44: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 16, 2012 04:22PM) (new)

*glares*

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Rosa! What's with all the glaring lately?

message 46: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Ocampo (seeyouspacecowboy) Because Rosa glares now. Glaring is cool.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes! Ding ding!! Eris, you win a............TARDIS!!!!!!

message 48: by Marlene (new)

Marlene Ocampo (seeyouspacecowboy) I do? I DO!!!!! Oh, Rosa, thankyouthankyouthankyou! Now that I have a TARDIS (and since I've watched so much Doctor Who that I've absorbed quite a lot of the Time Vortex, making me an honorary Time Lord), where would you all like to go? Forwards or backwards in time?

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Ummmm.......backwards, please! Unless you wanna go forwards, of course.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Who cares about the time? Let's go into SPACE!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6