Linux Outlaws Reading Group discussion

Manna: Two Visions of Humanity's Future
This topic is about Manna
Book Suggestions > Book Suggestion: Manna by Marshall Brain

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Артём (last edited Jun 05, 2012 04:38AM) (new)

Артём Багинский As I expect most of the literary outlaws to be technology minded and critically thinking individuals, I suggest Manna: Two Visions of Humanity's Future by Marshall Brain about potential social implication of certain trends in technology. I don't want to elaborate much more to avoid spoilers.

The book is available for free on Marshall Brain's website or on Kindle.

And like I said in the original group: I think it's in line with the first book (Little Brother) we've read in January, current genre being retroactively described as "Social Impact of Technology in Near Future"-ism :-)

message 2: by Durand (new)

Durand D'souza (dldx) | 3 comments It sounds interesting but I personally don't care much for futurist predictions. I'll still read it if the rest of the group wants to though.

message 3: by Артём (new)

Артём Багинский You don't have to treat it as a prediction then - just read it as what-if story, or beware fable.

My own experience with reading prediction-y sort of works is that they often tell you more about the time and society of the author, than about the future. That's sort of obvious with old books, but we should presume it to be true for modern ones too. So, read it as a book about present too.

That is if we manage to agree to read it :)

Tiago "Salvador" Souza (tssalvador) | 6 comments Well, I am willing to give it a try if all agree

message 5: by Darren (new)

Darren Fuller (dazfuller) Well if it's a free book then what is there to lose :-)