Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban discussion

Dementors - Bad or Animalistic?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sharnie I've always wondered about whether dementors were really bad, or just portrayed as bad. The best way I can explain this is - Lions
People are scared of lions because lions eat people. People are scared of dementors because dementors eat peoples souls.
But just because lions eat people on occasion doesn't make lions bad. And Azkaban seems to have a symbiotic relationship going with the dementors - food in exchange for criminal control.

But, while I don't like dementors I have trouble seeing them as bad, I just see them as hungry. And they seem to be incapable of eating anything but human souls (Not being sensitive to animal emotions)

What about you? What is your opinion of dementors - I'd like to know if I'm the only one who sympathies with them.

♥ Alexia -Team Malec ♥ Cool, in that death-filled way.

Blujeanbooks96 I agree with you :) It's like it's their nature and they don't have any other way of surviving. So, I can sorta see them as just a predator of the wizarding world, so to speak.I might be really mean here, becuase I love animals, but there just seems to be something different about how Dementors eat souls of humans in comparison to if they ate the souls of animals (I'm sure animals have souls). I think they're more threatening.

BUT I think Ms Rowling did a pretty damn good job in making them creepy.. or something that you really don't wanna run into at some point. Just like lions - they're fine at a distance... to a certain extent. They're creepy... but it's like a necessity, they need to be there.

PLUS they pay an important part in the books with Harry and everyone, so.. you know, like *Alexia -Team Malec :)* said, they're cool.. in a death filled way.

Simplyminali i think dementors are bad because they are led by their master so they dont think by themselves. that can lead to mistakes. also they suck the soul out of you and thats a bit harsh no matter what crime you did. also, i don't get how dementors could be animalistic???

Angie In the Prisioner of Azkaban their nature is described.

In the book is described that they are very, very greedy creatures (in both UK and US definition).

The Ministry of Magic though they could "tame" them for their own purposes, but they were totally wrong.

They forgot that dementors are only interested in feeding themselves from happiness and souls and don't care of anything else. In other words, they only support to those who can give them more and more.

I don't consider them either good or bad. I think they form part of human's mind and nature which can get out of control if we don't take the correct measures (they can form part of which can return us to our primitive state).

And like with Ying and Yang, if there is no sadness, there is no happiness, if there is no cold, there is no warm.

Amber Angie wrote: "I don't consider them either good or bad. I think they form part of human's mind and nature which can get out of control if we don't take the correct measures (they can form part of which can return us to our primitive state)."

I liked that. I had a different opinion, but that might have just changed it.

I don't necessarily see them as 'bad.' They seem more like leeches to me, in that they do it to survive. They choose their boss based on who feeds them the most. The ministry gave Dementors lifelong criminals to eat; Voldemort gave them free reign on the happy and the sad. It's a no-brainer who they chose.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Angie wrote: "In the Prisioner of Azkaban their nature is described.

In the book is described that they are very, very greedy creatures (in both UK and US definition).

The Ministry of Magic though they could ..."

I completely agree. They are neither good nor bad but they are written as negative creatures because they do not have morals thus they only create misery.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Creepy...

Roberto Now that I think of it, a Dementor's greed for souls and happy emotions is similar to our need for food. We need to eat to survive, and Dementors need souls. It's in their nature, it's what they do. I can see how they are animalistic, but JK Rowling makes them seem so evil and scary.

message 10: by Angie (last edited Jul 06, 2012 07:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie I can agree with both of you Roberto and Kate. In the books they are pictured as evil creatures because they make everyone feel bad, miserable and can turn one insane. Also because Dumbledore didn't like them and they helped evil people (Umbridge and Voldemort).

But in the end, they have only behaved according to their greedy nature.

Also it is impossible that they could have gone forever because there is still people in the world who is still depressed and miserable.

toroltao To me, the dementors seem like basic animals. They don't seem to have any higher function intelligence. They're like bears. Feed them and they come back for more, and if you can tame them (sort of), then great, but there's always the chance they can kill you for whatever random reason. They're scary that way.

message 12: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami B they are flipping scary

Tania demantors are selfless creatures , they take souls and also feed off peoples happy memories ...to me this is bad enough to brand them as souless creatures but then i cant be sure about the sourless part since they take peoples souls ...

But on the other had i dont blame them for wht they do because its what they were created or made for ,its the whole reason for their existence .