The Sword and Laser discussion

What Previous S&L books are "Must Read" for us newbs?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nimrod (last edited Jun 04, 2012 10:13PM) (new)

Nimrod God (nimrodgod) | 273 comments Ok so, some of us have been here from the start of the YouTube show (myself included) so obviously we've either started with The Magicians, Hyperion, or June's Tigana. But what S&L picks would older members recommend us newcomers to check out?

I ask because I'd like to get a feel for the groups' general recommendations hoping that the sugestions that did worse are not mentioned... (at least not as much) :-)

message 2: by Gordon (new)

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments Bitter Seeds was excellent, and Ready Player One. I'd recommend either to anyone in the group.

message 4: by Charles (new)

Charles | 248 comments Made a Pinterest board of the previous picks: http://pinterest.com/charlesatan/swor...

I'd probably pick:

Good Omens
Hunger Games
The Princess Bride
The Mists of Avalon,
Dune
Game of Thrones
Ender's Game
Neuromancer

message 5: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Good Omens and Emder's Game fore sure. 1 hilarious and witty. The other a great sci-fi classic.

Good topic by the way.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Iv just joined aswel and now im on a reading frenzy, wanting to read previous books and current books also. And people are recommending more and more books I want to read. What to do, so many books so little time.

message 7: by library_jim (new)

library_jim | 212 comments Great topic. I also started with the youtube show and am making my lists...

Thanks.

message 8: by Nimrod (new)

Nimrod God (nimrodgod) | 273 comments Wow, surprised to see Dune a few times one here! I've had a love hate history since I was much younger with the movie and have always wanted to get into the books! Very encouraging!

Ready Player One I had seen mentioned a few times and I had on my "To-Read" so also glad that one is one here!

@Jim, very welcome, although I must admit it was mostly selfish reasons I started the thread with ;-)

message 9: by Jonathon (new)

Jonathon Dez-la-lour (jd2607) | 173 comments I only joined after the youtube show started, and I've gone back and done both Lies of Locke Lamora and Ready Player One and I'd heartily recommend both of them.

message 10: by Brad Theado (last edited Jun 05, 2012 10:12AM) (new)

Brad Theado | 217 comments I would second (or third) Lies of Locke Lamora and Ready Player One. There have been a number of turkeys on the list (Bitter Seeds and Good Omens) so I wouldn't read anything if several people didn't recommend them.

message 11: by Nimrod (last edited Jun 05, 2012 10:48AM) (new)

Nimrod God (nimrodgod) | 273 comments I actually am intrigued by The Lies of Locke Lamora as Vance (I Believe) has compared it to Tigana...

Brad T. wrote: "There have been a number of turkeys on the list (Bitter Seeds and Good Omens) so I wouldn't read anything if several people did..."

I figured this would be the case, which is why I wanted the group as a whole to discuss this! Figured the more a book was mentioned, the better it would be (hence why I was happy about Dune being here a few times) :-)

message 12: by Will (new)

Will Oprisko | 11 comments You can never go wrong picking up a Hugo or Nebula award winner:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Awa...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebula_A...

But if you are overwhelmed by which one to select, then here is cross-section of well-respected science fiction:

The Time Machine/The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells
Dune by Frank Herbert
Neuromancer by William Gibson
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson

message 13: by Nimrod (new)

Nimrod God (nimrodgod) | 273 comments @Will, I was mostly trying to get a feel for the previous books read here on S&L, but thanks for both those links!

Did S&L read Red Mars? I have that on my (actual) "To-Read"... should probably include that in my goodreads "To-Read" lol

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2844 comments Neuromancer (also great on audio), Dune, Ready Player One, shadow & Claw (but read the S&L discussion for the whole experience).

message 15: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Nimrod wrote: "I actually am intrigued by The Lies of Locke Lamora as Vance (I Believe) has compared it to Tigana...

Brad T. wrote: "There have been a number of turkeys on the list (Bitter Seeds and Good Omens)..."

Bitter Seeds and it's recently released sequel was excellent. The pick of the list.

message 16: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments Ender's Game has been topping lists of the best science fiction since its publication for good reason. Moon is a Harsh Mistress is an important introduction to one of the most influential voices in the genre. Good Omens is probably the 'funnest' book on the list. Dune is lengthy, but worth it.

message 17: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Nimrod wrote: "Wow, surprised to see Dune a few times one here! I've had a love hate history since I was much younger with the movie and have always wanted to get into the books! Very encouraging!"

There isn't a movie thats done Dune justice. The recent TV miniseries did better but . . .There's just so much historical context incorporated into the books that you had to have read the books to get a lot of what's in the miniseries.

message 18: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments P. Aaron wrote: "Dune is lengthy, but worth it.
"

It was lengthy in the time it was written, but by today's standards it's only a medium length novel :)

message 19: by Walrus (last edited Jun 15, 2012 11:54AM) (new)

Walrus | 80 comments I've never read Dune, I watched part of the movie and enjoyed Patrick Stewart in it, so there is one shortcut.

A much faster shortcut, which brings out a cruciform theme of Dune extraordinarily is to listen to this music video: To Tame a Land The lyrics are little off, in the video, but you'll hear the correct ones easily.