Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion

who liked Snape?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Mercelle Who from the very beginning believed that Snape was being out as a bad character when in fact he was always looking out for Harry Potter?

Juntao Count me in!

Vanessa K. I did not like him from the beginning, but he is now one of my favorite characters because I believe that his story teaches kids (and adults) that there is more to everyone's story and things and people are not always what they seem.

Iris* I liked him because he always made the best comments and when it was revealed that he was actually helping Harry I found it great.

Sophie I had a sneaking suspicion, from the beginning, that there was more to Snape than we were being told. The fact that Dumbledore trusted him so unfailingly is what gave away that he was actually a good character!

There were many times when I was frustrated with his actions though!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Snape! In the beginning I was like "He is so evil!" then in the last few books I was like "He is so awesome!". Especially in The Prince's Tale. That actually made me cry, it was so sad. He is my second favorite character, only after Luna.

Chaeya Snape was one of my favorite characters!

Bad Wolf I always felt bad for Snape, because he loved Lily, but she never realized it. He's like the mean person that turns out to have a collection of romance novels.

Sarah I loved snape! I didn't like him in the first book, but then I liked him after that.

I really don't like James Potter. He was so mean to snape...

Simplyminali i dont like him now, and i wont ever like him cuz he killed professor dumbledore in the sixth book

Joshua I always thought Snape was the coolest, even when we didn't know he was good.
I like Luna and Bellatrix Lestrange too, but not as much as him, though.

mercy **Spoiler!**
Okay, I stinking LOVE Snape. I kinda thought he was a bit shifty in the first couple books, but by like, The 5th one, I LOVED HIM! And especially after I finished the sires, I was like, "Okay, Snape= BEST CHARACTER!" I love that fact that he loved Lily soo much. And The Princes Tale chapter in the 7th, I cried. I cried when he died. I cried in the movie at that whole part too. He was so sweet to her. And even though everybody thinks he hates Harry, which he does, a little, He also loves Harry because he is Lily's son. its so adorable. I'll Love Severus Snape forever :)

Mercelle I knew I wasn't the only one that thought Something was up from the very beginning of the HARRY POTTET SERIES but I also felt I wasn't being loyal to Harry by liking SNAPE , he didn't exactly make it easy for anyone to like him but I guess that was how he kept his plans to look out for Harry secretly safe from everyone.

But it was an important lesson to everyone reading the books to not judge based off appearances only because that's the ultimate sign of human ignorance ... But I loved SNAPE and I'm happy he got justice payed to him by the end of the series

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Simplyminali wrote: "i dont like him now, and i wont ever like him cuz he killed professor dumbledore in the sixth book"

He was following Dumbledore's orders! Being loyal! He was always so loyal...

Kelli Never judge a book by it's cover:)
Snape was one of my favorite characters. Dumbledore trusted him. Snaped loved Lily (Harry's mother). Good guy.

Chathura  Perera snape was the true hero of this tale

Eimear I think Snape is one of my favourite characters ever, not just from the HP series!

message 18: by Max (new) - rated it 5 stars

Max He was dead to me at the end of the sixth novel, but of course he's completely redeemed overall. He's an amazing character and he is definitely one of my favorites now. But I was completely convinced that he was pure evil.

Shubham Vanessa 'Pixi' wrote: "I did not like him from the beginning, but he is now one of my favorite characters because I believe that his story teaches kids (and adults) that there is more to everyone's story and things and p..."

True..

Shubham Hadley ・I LOVE HARRY POTTER!!!・ wrote: "I love Snape! In the beginning I was like "He is so evil!" then in the last few books I was like "He is so awesome!". Especially in The Prince's Tale. That actually made me cry, it was so sad. He i..."

Yeah, Awesome!!

Shubham If there really has to be a character that has stood out in all books except harry (not counting his friends & Dumbledore), is perhaps Snape, and the fact that he actually turned out to be the Good Prince was fairly just. His story is really remarkable and tells of the objectivity and purpose behind his actions. He was truly a, marvelous person.

Michele Brenton I see Severus as the true hero of the Harry Potter books. I liked him best from the beginning - maybe because as an adult I spotted the little hints that were there from the start to let us know he was a thoroughly complex and noble character.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Snape was the ONLY character that kept me guessing. (Personally, I didn't like or trust him any more than Harry and Ron did.)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews I knew he was looking out for Harry from the beginning. It was too obvious for him just to have been a bad guy. It was great that Harry included his name in that of his son's.

Pity the movie missed out Harry's speech about Severus's true motives, but I guess it got some way to showing it through the dialogue about the middle name.

message 25: by TJ (last edited Jun 10, 2012 02:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

TJ Ah, one of the two true heroes in the Harry Potter series. Flawed but did what needed to be done at crucial junctures. The other was, of course, Harry's mother, though she was done early.

I suppose Harry did a bit too, didn't he, ha!

Reader50 In the early books, Snape was not a character I liked much but he was the most intriguing. In the later books when his backstory was told, I began to soften and in the end, I thought he was a marvelous character, flawed and with a heart he hid from others. Since I read the books over several years, I think I'd like to read them back-to-back and see if my memories of the stories have been colored by the character portrayals in the movies which, by the way, I also loved.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I love him~ ^.^

Essy  S Dean At the beginning of the series I really disliked Snape. I didn't think he was trustworthy, and the first time I read the part where it's revealed that he was a double-agent and worked for both Voldemort & Dumbledore, I didn't see why Dumbledore let Snape back on his side. Now though, I've completely changed my mind. He was flawed, he hid so much of himself from others, but there were reasons it just took a while to get to them & for me to understand why he did what he did for so long.

Sparrowlicious I was always suspicious of him until he showed Harry his memories but it takes much more than what Snape did in the books to make me really dislike a character. I disliked Umbridge, just for the record but with Snape things were a little bit more difficult. I felt sorry for him at the end because, ... you know how it turned out. /:
If I had a hat I would draw it for Rowling, because she created a character that had many people argue if he was 'good' or 'bad' until the very end.

Amber I disliked him up until Remus Lupin said he trusted him. I always had a fangirlish crush on Lupin, so after he stated that he trusted Snape, I always argued for the "Snape is Good" side.

Johnathan I never thought of Snape being Evil. I just never liked the guy.

message 32: by R. (last edited Jun 14, 2012 03:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

R. Shea I had a little crush on him - and another one on Harry's godfather, Sirius. Sometimes it's more fun to like the "bad boys".

Alana I had a hard time with Dumbledore's seemingly unfounded faith in him until I realized it wasn't so much that he trusted Snape's CHARACTER as that he realized his utmost devotion to Lily. Lily defined his whole being, even more than his beliefs, which were often in line with Voldemort's. Because of Lily, he took ridicule among those he was trying to protect and even looked out for her son whom reminded him more of James than Lily. His guilt for letting her down is his true motivation for his protection of Harry. Whether you judge this motive good or bad, it is certainly heartbreaking and he is most certainly the best developed most integral character in the entire series, bar none. His anger, guilt, love and anguish make him the one easiest to identify with, the most human.

Cassidy To be honest, I did not like Snape in the beginning but by the end of the series I reread the first couple of books and wondered why I didn't realize that he was actually protecting Harry the whole time.

Christine He grew on me during the series. Did anyone else cry when he died?

Alana Christine wrote: "He grew on me during the series. Did anyone else cry when he died?"

Like a baby... I was so glad to see his character fully redeemed and (almost) everything justified.

Johnathan Christine wrote: "He grew on me during the series. Did anyone else cry when he died?"

To be perfectly honest, i smiled when he died. I know he was on the side of good, but he was still a giant DB.

message 38: by zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

zoe Sophie wrote: "I had a sneaking suspicion, from the beginning, that there was more to Snape than we were being told. The fact that Dumbledore trusted him so unfailingly is what gave away that he was actually a g..."

I agree:) i had to keep thinking that dumbledore wasn't stupid!

Elizabeth(The Book Whisperer) I love Snape...What a tragic story, loving Lilly his whole life through.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Leonia wrote: "I had a little crush on him - and another one on Harry's godfather, Sirius. Sometimes it's more fun to like the "bad boys"."
So true.

Micaela I didnt like Sape from the start and I still dont I dont care if he is good but he was still very mean to Harry all those years.

Kelsey Snape is without a doubt my favorite character in the series. His story is very deep and emotional which is something I can relate to. I also had my suspicions that he was a "good guy" from the beginning although Rowling does a fantastic job of keeping everyone guessing.

Emily I absolutely LOVE him, I think it's how creepy and low his voice is!!!!!

Emily Kelsey wrote: "Snape is without a doubt my favorite character in the series. His story is very deep and emotional which is something I can relate to. I also had my suspicions that he was a "good guy" from the beg..."

I feel exactly the same way!

message 45: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana hahaha me too

Peter I liked Snape right from the beginning, back in '97. He was mean to Harry, but clearly not a real bad guy, as he was too openly hostile under Dumbledore's nose. So there was obviously something going on there. I love Snape.

Aurora Lavin Kelsey, I totally agree with you!!!!

Jenelle I liked Snape from the get-go, but I wasn't sure about him. He's probably my favorite character in the entire series (something about the tragic character draws me in), and I suspected he was really a good guy, but I didn't KNOW until the very end.

My dad, on the other hand (who has only seen the movies) after about the third or fourth movie called me and said, "Snape has GOT to be more than what he's being portrayed as... I'm betting he's really a good guy... am I right?"

Ashlynn He isn't a bad guy, he died for Lily he loved Lily. He has one of the best stories in the series. I like Severus.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Although I often seem to have a fondness for the unfairly named villain of a book, I honestly think Snape was one of the better developed characters outside the central trio. In fact, the only two close-two-tears moments for me in the HP series were when Snape and Lupin died.

« previous 1