The Atheist Book Club discussion

Atheism + Skepticism > Islamic holy man, wife sentenced for mutilating daughters’ genitals

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

An unnamed “marabout”, or Islamic sorcerer/heretic, and his wife have been sentenced to prison time in France for allowing a “doctor” to mutilate the genitals of their four daughters.

http://www.secularnewsdaily.com/2012/...

message 2: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 214 comments I wonder if the doctor who did it will be prosecuted.

message 3: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 98 comments Hazel, that's a good question! certainly the person who actually performed the mutilatation should be prosecuted (and charged, and sentenced) as well.

i don't know if this was a problem with translation or not, but the article mentions that part of the girls' vaginas were removed. that seems unlikely; doesn't this usually involve scraping away the clitoris?

message 4: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 214 comments it may be that the person writing the article has little knowledge of anatomy or FGM, but many people will probably consider the clitoris and clitoral hood to be part of the vagina.

But no, its not scraping away the clitoris, its cutting it off. There are 4 different versions of increasing nastiness,from removing the clitoris, through removing both that and the clitoral hood, right through to removing all external parts of the genitals, and then sewing the girl up until she has nothing but a tiny hole left through which urine, and later, menstrual blood, can pass.

message 5: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 98 comments i used the word "scrape" because i read of one place where they use bits of broken glass to literally scrape at the external genitals...i can't remember where i read it, tho.