Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > Celebrity Death Beeper

Comments Showing 1-50 of 848 (848 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17316 comments Mod
The sad news about The Stooges' Ron Asheton makes me think: Why does the sudden and often-times shocking news of a celebrity death (think Heath Ledger or Kurt Cobain) have such a deep or lasting impact upon the memory? I can remember just where I was when I heard that River Phoenix had died.

Why does it have such a lasting effect upon us? Do we feel we somehow knew these people?
What about John Travolta's son? That is such a tragic, personal, private and scary anguish, especially as parents of a teenager. I feel so sad for them. Yet the very act of feeling sadness for a stranger seems so gaudy, so trite.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Last night one of those stupid shows like EXTRA! was bragging that they had exclusive interviews with the EMT who responded to the Travolta scene.

Now that's just sick, as I see it.

message 3: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments That is sick.

Was his son sick all these years? I never knew that, but I was wondering why he would have a nanny with him at all times when he was practically grown.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I think he had a seizure disorder.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments While I feel for the Travoltas, there are kids dying all over the country, and they don't get the media attention. So I feel really weird about the Travolta thing.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori He was autistic, altho, being a Thetan, John claimed he had some other disease Kawasaki (or something like that.)

The reason the Rivolta death is a big buzz is because there have been reports about Kelly and John not treating Jett for his autism since it's not approved by Scientologist, aka there is no disease of the brain it's a mental problem to be cured by the "religion".

Also there has been alot of discrepancy between what the Travolta camp says and what the medical examiners and police are saying.

Yes, unfortunately I know these kinds of things.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

This is sadder than I'd intended it to be. I didn't know all that, Lori.

message 8: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I wondered about that 'cause I thought that I had heard that Scientology doesn't do medicine. Assholes.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm a wee horrified that the child is already cremated. Isn't that fast? Is that how it is done?

message 10: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell They did an autopsy first.

message 11: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments I felt pretty bad for Travolta family. Also, RIP Ron.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Also, today the inventor of the aloha shirt passed away. RIP inventor man.

Alfred Shahen. Pioneer of Hawaiian Clothing.

message 13: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments I'm going to wear my favourite Hawaiian shirt tomorrow in order to honour his memory.

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

Good idea.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments someone actually invented the Hawaiian shirt? sure it wasn't a serendipitous experimental outcome from a Paint N' Swirl toy?

message 17: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 23435 comments Mod
"Reynolds Price, whose novels and stories about ordinary people in rural North Carolina struggling to find their place in the world established him as one of the most important voices in modern Southern fiction, died on Thursday in Durham, N.C. He was 77."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/21/boo...

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Oh! I think he was one of my friend John's mentors. I've read some of his stories. Sad.

message 19: by Aynge (last edited Jan 21, 2011 04:27PM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Celebrities are part of our lives, our mythology. Of course we are going to care what happens to them. Some care a lot more than others.

Like when I heard about the deaths of Michael Crichton, and David Foster Wallace, and Ed McBain, I gasped and felt real pain. I've read all their books, and each of them has influenced me. I met one of them. I looked forward to their books, and now I will never enjoy anymore books from them.

message 20: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3239 comments Sad that Reynolds Price is gone.

I read A Long and Happy Life, and I enjoyed Kate Vaiden, from which I wrote down and kept a few memorable lines. Some men can surprise you with their knowledge of a woman's heart.

message 21: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3239 comments The one that really bothered me was the death of Paul Newman. It makes no sense, but I miss him.

message 22: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 5947 comments Jack LaLanne.

message 23: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1966 comments I remember Jack LaLanne. He was into proper nutrition and exercise long before anyone else.

message 24: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11461 comments I used to watch him exercise with a chair. Today it takes treadmills, elliptical machines, stair climbers and hydraulic-assist weights.

Jack used a chair.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Someone on Slate did a survey of the history of exercise videos last week, from Jack LaLanne to Jane Fonda to Jillian Michaels. Interesting stuff.

message 26: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Jack LaLanne made it to 96 and stayed pretty fit right up to the end. Must have been doing something right, and he helped a lot of other people get healthy along the way. Sorry to hear he's gone.

message 27: by Barb (last edited Jan 24, 2011 07:53AM) (new)

Barb I saw that on the TV at the gym this morning ... while on an eliptical runner.

message 28: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 6989 comments Phil wrote: "I used to watch him exercise with a chair. Today it takes treadmills, elliptical machines, stair climbers and hydraulic-assist weights.

Jack used a chair."

A chair and a towel. And his white German Shepherd was so cool.

message 29: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1966 comments I saw Jane Fonda explain an exercise where she just used a chair. It was for us senior citizens.

message 30: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 6989 comments She's looking pretty good for herself these days, Michele. Gorgeous body.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Jonathan wrote: "Jack LaLanne made it to 96 and stayed pretty fit right up to the end. Must have been doing something right, and he helped a lot of other people get healthy along the way. Sorry to hear he's gone."

He didn't help me. That dumb juicer never worked right.

(I still give him credit for doing his thing though. He lived the dream up until the end.)

message 32: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1018 comments Jack Lalanne talked about eating raw foods decades before the current organic food craze. His advice was just as good as his exercises.

He could do 100 pushups well into his 70's.

He is a legend!

message 34: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Jane Russell. She was 89.

message 35: by Lori (new)

Lori I saw a quote of her earlier, something like: I am a mean-spirited, bigoted, Republican Christian. I think it was a quote from a long time ago, and it amazed me that the language is still pretty much the same.

message 36: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

RIP Knut, German polar bear.

message 37: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Noooo! Not Knut!

message 38: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments August Owsley Stanley III.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owsley_S...

Not a current celeb, I know.

message 39: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments A hero of yours, Larry?

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Supplier!?

message 41: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments In the days when you never really knew what you were getting (with fillers like strychnine or other such nasty stuff), he made it pure.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

You know what you are getting if you never have any.

message 43: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I can deny the past -- but it doesn't make it not have happened. It was a part of the formation of my worldview. I wouldn't be the me I am if I hadn't ingested.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Does it affect you that much?

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments It did me, yes.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't imagine it could really change who you are. But as I have never had the experience I guess I'll never know.

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments It didn't change who I was -- just changed the way I saw things.

message 48: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11461 comments Elizabeth Taylor.

I never did understand her fame. Now she's gone.

They say she died "peacefully." Have you ever heard a report of a famous person dying "screaming and yelling in horrible, gut wrenching pain?"

message 49: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I have to agree with Phil on the "I don't get it" with Elizabeth Taylor. I know she did some stuff when she was young, but for the last couple decades all she was known for, as far as I could tell, was selling perfume and hanging out with Michael Jackson.

Sorry, uh, she's dead, though.

message 50: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 6989 comments What? Our own Elizabeth? Awww. I must watch "National Velvet" soon.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17