Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2) Dreamless discussion

Wow! Only if you've read the book

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (last edited Jun 04, 2012 08:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Oh my gosh!!! This book was amazing and I need the next one now! I can not believe that Helen was dying. I may be crazy, but I absolutely love how much pain and angst there is in this book.

Ok so boys... I really don't like love triangles. Luckily this one really wasn't much of one. Who do you like more: Lucas or Orion? I love how Orion helps Helen in the under world but I absolutely love them together.

And seriously the ending? I wonder if the next book will be all battles. I hope it goes beyond a trilogy. I was also hoping they would have figured out they aren't related by now. I get not realizing Ajax died a year before Helen was born, but i wished it would have been resolved. Guess they can be together now that the houses are united.

Milena I don't get how nobody in the Delos family realizes it though? Its not very realistic for the book at all..this was Ajax's family who most likely buried him when he died 19 years ago and were clearly still upset over his death (obvious in first scene with Daphne in book 1)..how did NO ONE except Pandora figure out that Helen is only 17..thats a pretty big thing for the WHOLE family to overlook and not realize in my opinion but who knows maybe it will be explained a bit better in book 3?

Amie yeah its a little obvious isn't it :L you'd really have thought more people would have figured it out by now.. i really liked Orion and i think him and Helen go well together, but she was always going to be with Lucas in the end. They're meant to be. but i love him as well so it's all good :D Amazing books!! :)

Kami I am so glad other people noticed the oversight on the author's part about Helen's age vs. Ajax's death. Honestly, that occurred to me before Pandora's reveal in book 1. It seems so obvious. I hope there's a reason that none of the characters have put that puzzle piece together right now because, at the moment, it's my only pet peeve about this series. I love everything else so far though I am sad for Lucas and Helen. I haven't really met Orion yet since I just started book 2 and I don't care for love triangles so we'll see...

Liza I missed that detail, when I read! I think had I noticed the disparity between Ajax's death and Helen's age I would have been upset.

I wonder if it was a typo when it read 19 years. It's possible during copy edits and what not that the detail was overlooked. I've seen some authors publish heinous sentences in books that were otherwise decent, but resulted from the editing process as it was a flaw that wasn't caught. Otherwise, these authors wouldn't have written such silliness.

But if the 19 years was intentional, it'll be interesting to see how Angelini explains that in the third book.

message 6: by Angela (last edited Jun 14, 2012 08:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela When Helen's mom is talking with pandora (if thats the aunts name) she mentions it. This is right before pandora is murdered by the Delos's cousin because Helen's mom shape shifted to look like pandora. And right before Pandora dies she asks her why would she lie to Helen. She was the only Delos who put it together and now she's dead.

For a while I figured Jerry must be her bio dad but now I'm wondering if it could be a god Didn't hades call her niece? So it couldn't be Poseidon since she hates the water. I mean I know it's highly unlikely it's really Zeus, but it would be interesting. I think this series is going to be a trilogy, so I'm sure it'll be cleared up soon!

Angela Oh I was just reading Starcrossed again and first she says Ajax died 21 years ago and then at the end she says 19 years. Either way still not a cuz.

Rachael Jade Annear I didn't pick up this at all (maybe because I read the books so far apart), but I am glad that I know now. Hopefully it was done on purpose so that there will be a way for Helen and Lucas to be together. It would certainly make for an interesting plot twist!

Liza That's so weird that it went from 21 to 19 years. I wonder what the reason is for that discrepancy?

It seems too weird now to be an editor/author mistake that wasn't corrected before publishing.

Angela Liza wrote: "That's so weird that it went from 21 to 19 years. I wonder what the reason is for that discrepancy?

It seems too weird now to be an editor/author mistake that wasn't corrected before publishing."

I know right? I was so curious that I even emailed the author... No response as of yet. In the nook book it's page 154 & 284

Another thought. Do you think Daphne didn't want Helen and Lucas together because she didn't want her to go through the same thing as her or what? I keep wondering what is so important that she would lie to her daughter to keep her from her love...

message 11: by Liza (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liza I wouldn't be surprised if Daphne lied, because she knew something similar to the ending of the book could happen to Helen if she fell for a scion.

message 12: by Angela (last edited Jun 22, 2012 04:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela UPDATE
So I emailed the author about what the correct date is. She said its 21 years and the family didn't know that. This is paraphrasing because I didn't know if it was ok to paste the email. That being said, I'm a little confused because the author said that only Pandora knew the correct date. And the date Daphne tells Pandora at the end of the book when she dies, was 19 years ago.

So this is what I have concluded: They thought Ajax died 21 years ago when both Daphne and Ajax  were fighting to the death (or something like that) At the last moment they had a situation quite similar to Lucas and Helen. Where they both saved each others lives. However, their family thought that was when Ajax died (21 years ago) and didn't know that he had in fact survived along with Daphne. But then eventually he was killed by Tantalus 19 years ago.  When she tells them they ran away and got married and had Helen she doesn't say when so they take her word that it would fit in the time frame.

Since Pandora was the only one in the family who was told how many years ago Ajax died, no one else knows because she is dead. 

**so I know this probably sounds like I've had too much time on my hands. But sometimes things bug me :)

message 13: by Liza (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liza Oh cool! Thanks for emailing Angelini.

message 14: by Angela (last edited Jun 21, 2012 07:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela I'm a nut when it comes to stuff like that. But hey most authors will email and she's very nice. Like I said though that was just my thoughts from what the author said! Although it will be interesting to find out how Daphne was able to lie about Ajax being Helen's father to Lucas...

Angela Susie wrote: "Angela! You are totally cool for emailing her and clearing things up!! Now it makes sense. You should make a new post with this info cause I see lots of reviews with people ranting about this parti..."

Yeah? Id hate to make a new post and this be inaccurate. Because when Angalini emailed back she said it really was 21 years but I think maybe she meant that's what the family thought and not the real date.

message 16: by Angela (last edited Jun 23, 2012 09:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Another Update:
This is the quote from the author's email to me w/ permission as long as you know this is for people who read or don't mind spoilers, and mentioned in the subject is spoilers:

Angela,

It's not a silly question at all.  Ajax did die 21 years ago, but the Delos family doesn't know that (except for Tantalus, who killed him) because he and Daphne ran away together.  They all think Ajax had to have died after Helen was conceived b/c Daphne said that Helen is his daughter.  But she isn't.  Daphne tells Pandora when the death actually happened,
(which on page 286 of the nook book Starcrossed, Daphne says "Since Ajax left the world nineteen years ago, there has been no good in it for me" this is my typing here in bold not The author) Pandora figures out that Helen can't be Ajax's daughter, and then Pandora dies.  No one knows that Daphne is lying, and Helen thinks she and Lucas can't be together.

Don't worry, though.  ;)

Best,
Josie

***So note my pervious post as to what I gathered from her email. It helps make sense why they weren't like "duh you can't be Ajaxs baby!" Helen who's your daddy?

Angela Susie wrote: "Angela, this info is totally worthy of a new post!! Thanks for asking Angelini too ;)"

I made a new post Dreamless topic

Make sure ya post on it! :)

Devora Susie wrote: "I'm hoping the anniversary of Ajax's death comes and everyone realizes "Oh its been 20 years, and gee Helen how is it your just 17 (going on 18) and your 'dad' died before you were born?" 8/... Yea..."

That is a good idea. All for Lucas too:)

Heather All right.. HUGE question...
And please help me if I missed this because I'm still not understanding why no one else has picked up on it, and maybe I missed something.

If Helen is related to Lucas, who is related to Hector, who killed Creon, and is now an outcast (before you get to the end of dreamless). Then why didn't the furies affect Helen when she was around Hector? Because they aren't truly related (because of Daphne's lie), SOOOO why didn't anyone notice that she never was affected by the furies around Hector hence not being related to the Delos?

Please help me understand because it is really bothering me if I missed a huge section that explained that. Thanks!

message 20: by Angela (last edited Jul 07, 2012 09:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Heather wrote: "All right.. HUGE question...
And please help me if I missed this because I'm still not understanding why no one else has picked up on it, and maybe I missed something.

If Helen is related to Luc..."

Helen was affected by the furies any time that she was around anyone of the Delos family members. I remember Hector wanting to come after her and her trying to attack Hector as well. This was all in Starcrossed before Helen and Lucas saved each others lives. I think Helen even unintentionaly shocked him before that as well. Hector was also affected by the furies one day when he was following her out of track. I also don't think one party can be affected by the furies while the other wasn't.

But if your referring to after Hector became an outcast, Helen was not affected by the furies because she was claimed by the house of Arterus,(However you spell it) Helen's mom's House. I think the furies would only have affected members of Hector's House because he was a "kin killer". And since Helen and Hector didn't see furies because of the debt Helen and Lucas filled, I believe she continued not to see the furies because she is not a member of the House of Thebes.

Sorry it's a long explanation. Hope it makes sense. Again, it's just my guess.

Heather Angela wrote: "Heather wrote: "All right.. HUGE question...

If Helen i..."

so even though they are considered cousins, their houses are what separated her from feeling the furies around Hector?

message 22: by Angela (last edited Jul 08, 2012 10:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Heather wrote: "Angela wrote: "Heather wrote: "All right.. HUGE question...
And please help me if I missed this because I'm still not understanding why no one else has picked up on it, and maybe I missed somethin..."

Yes because the furies only came around because they killed another member of their house. I believe even If they were blood related it would not have mattered since helen was claimed by another house Because in the first book Helen saw the furies around them because they were from diff houses. Does this make sense? Im not always good at explaining.

Heather Angela wrote: "Heather wrote: "Angela wrote: "Heather wrote: "All right.. HUGE question...
And please help me if I missed this because I'm still not understanding why no one else has picked up on it, and maybe I..."

yea! thanks. It kept bothering me. I was like "HELLO THE CLUE IS RIGHT THERE SHE DOESN'T SEE THE FURIES AROUND HECTOR THEREFORE NOT YOUR RELATIVE. BE WITH LUCAS ALREADY!" haha.

Angela One can only hope it will be resolved in next book... A lot to cram in.

Ellie Susie wrote: "I'm hoping the anniversary of Ajax's death comes and everyone realizes "Oh its been 20 years, and gee Helen how is it your just 17 (going on 18) and your 'dad' died before you were born?" 8/... Yea..."

Love this Susie!!!!! Lucas will forever be Number 1 (and not just for Helen..;D) No competion, Lucas wins everytime against Orion..... Him and Helen are too... Amazing....I am ever so slightly OBSESSED with this trilogy! i hope that maybe Orion will reveal that they are not related...
Its been revealed that Orions Dad is some one who Daphne contacted once in Starcrossed(via phone, tho don't remember the Gods name )
Could it be that Daphne set up Helen's Journey to the Underworld with Orion adn deliberatly sent Orion down there to.... ditract her from Lucas? Maybe Daphne told Orion that Lucas isn't really realted to her? Sorry, I ramble, but this book is so special to me.. and I think its a posssiblity..?