Q&A with Debra Pawlak discussion

What intrigues you most about early Hollywood?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (new)

Debra Pawlak | 12 comments Mod
I find the people who shaped the film industry to be fascinating. They came from all walks of life and from all over the world. And remember, when they were born, there was no motion picture business so they had other jobs before they were filmmakers--i.e., Alaskan gold miners, cowboys, junk dealers, etc.

message 2: by Vickey (new)

Vickey Kall | 2 comments I love old movies as a window to the past (because you know that I am a history geek). Some places where movies were shot in the teens and 20s are still here--it's incredible to see them on film 90 years ago!

message 3: by Debra (new)

I agree, Vickey--it can be like stepping into a time machine.

message 4: by Martin (new)

Martin Turnbull (martin_turnbull) | 4 comments There so many reasons, but one of the biggies is that Hollywood is a place were the daughter of a laundress or the son of a bricklayer could come and they could, if they were lucky enough or had the right look/talent, enjoy success beyond what was imaginable, given their background. They were free to reinvent themselves without being mired in expectations. I also love and admire the care and detail that went into the work of these people who toiled in the studio system. It was probably very hard work but oh! Look at what they produced!

message 5: by Debra (new)

You are right on all counts, Martin! Hollywood was a place created by dreamers for dreamers and the rest of us who just plain like the movies!

message 6: by Martin (new)

Martin Turnbull (martin_turnbull) | 4 comments And here we all are, all these years later, still talking about them, reading about them, and writing about them. They must have been doing something right/

message 7: by Debra (new)

And loving every minute of it!

message 8: by Martin (new)

Martin Turnbull (martin_turnbull) | 4 comments What impresses me about the work of these people is that they lived in a world without TV, DVDs, entire cable networks devoted to showing their work. For them, these movies had a life that only lasted as long as its run in the theater, often only a week or two. They probably scarcely believe how well and beloved they and their work still is all these years later.

message 9: by Debra (new)

And just as incredible--they made the rules up as they went along!

message 10: by Vickey (new)

Vickey Kall | 2 comments I'm tempted to quote Sunset Boulevard here. The musical: This was dawn. There were no rules--We were so young...
We gave the world
New ways to dream

message 11: by Debra (new)

Great quote, Vickey!

message 12: by Martin (new)

Martin Turnbull (martin_turnbull) | 4 comments And true! They really did!

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary (glickman) | 1 comments I love Sunset Boulevard.I hear every once in a while rumors about a remake.Lots of actresses covet the Gloria Swanson role including La Liz.(Too late for that!)But who could do better than GS, her mad descent down the staircase, mistaking Max for Mr. DeMille? Can't imagine anyone better than William Holden either who could play the gigilo without seeming weak or sleazy.

message 14: by Debra (new)

A classic that could never be matched!