Axis Mundi X discussion

This is your brain on love: Lasting romance makes an impression--literally

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-second-s...

"When the scientists showed the subjects photos of their partners, the fMRIs detected intense activity in the ventral tegmental area of their brains, a region that produces the pleasure-giving neurotransmitter dopamine. A previous study of 17 people in the early, lustful months of relationships showed similar activity in the same brain area, a core component of our motivation and reward network."

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Well no wonder I always feel better if I make him sit by my hospital bed.

message 3: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

aww... that's sweet Ruth. I'm so happy for you and your mate that you enjoy that kind of long-lived true love. rare indeed.

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Second marriage for us both. 35 years now, and counting. And we're still nutz about each other. I didn't think it could happen either.

message 5: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments ...interesting. Grant money well spent. Kewl.

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
I think after a certain point you "choose" to love the person your with. everyone is always OMG! I can't live with out so'n'so their so great blah blah blah, six months later, they are ready to kill one another. Opposites attract because their different... after the new car smell is gone you start to get annoyed by the placement of the cup holders and the speed in which your wiper delay operates. The trick is to find the special opposite that you can stomach.

My wife always looses the cap to the tooth paste. My OCD kicks in, I have to know where it goes. I look around, behind the toilet, under the sink, between the towel and the wall... I have yet to find one. And she is completely unaware of where they could be off too... HOW YOU TOOK IT OFF WHAT DID YOU DO WITH IT!?!
Now if I let this bother me every day how long do you think our marriage would last? My solution: I love my wife so I started buying the pump tooth paste. I open the box remove the cap, and toss it in the trash. She caught me doing this one day and asked what I was doing. I said, now I know where the cap is, it's in the garbage. no more fight. Defusing the situation.

message 7: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Nick, that is some brilliant problem solving. You definitely are clued in to what it takes to make marriage last. I have said for many years now, the best thing you can hope for is to find someone who is less annoying to you personally than most of the other people on the planet. Cuz dude, *everyone* is annoying.

Real annoying. I think family (mainly parents and in-laws) are the absolute worst.

One asked to come for the holidays, under pressure and against my better judgment I agree to it, then the whole fucking brood shows up. Invading my personal space, sitting in MY chair, double dipping in my home made chip dip, invading man land (My room in the house where I keep all my old war stuff) little kids terrorizing my dog, Their worthless parents laughing awe isn't that cute look at the dogs face. I tried to get Dinah to tear a face off or two , but no luck. My dog hates the cold. This I know as fact. but when the Beverly hillbillies came she stayed outside (-46) as long as she could. even when I opened the door she would drop her head and slink into the house... trying to make it to man land (normally a quite place free of all other annoying humans besides me) before any of the hellians saw her. One of the little bastard broke my shadow box with my ribbons and platoon photo, Much yelling screaming and threatening ensued....

Eh, Where did that come from, Oh yeah, annoying people.

message 9: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

good lord. congratulations on surviving your holidays with family! And not landing in jail for assault. : )

Time to maybe destroy a barn door or something, no?

I concur completely Donna... The whole ordeal was very traumatic for all parties concerned. I think I ended it in just the right way to ensure no further invasions though.

message 11: by Cyril (new)

Cyril Obama's mother-in-law is moving in to the White House with him. I hope he has a man cave.

message 12: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

LOL!!! Isn't that what the oval office is for?

I like my coffee like the first lady, Dark and bitter :D

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Nick, how does your wife feel about it all?

Well, I am sure she wished things had gone better, but she also agrees that they were very disrespectful, and that they pushed me past my limit of politeness. She was actually pretty please nobody ended up in the hospital. But they are her family so I am sure there is going to be some resonating sadness about the rift... with time, and many apologies on their behalf might fix this in the future. But I am not willing to apologize for anything. If they imply that I should then they can go pound sand again.

Yeah, she was pretty embarrassed, I kind of yelled at her at the end, so I might apologize to her for that... I just don't understand why she didn't give us a heads up that the rest decided to come along. It's not like they live down the road they had to board a plane so I was upset about that. other then that, I like my sister in-law.

message 17: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

good point Bun.