The Teen Debaters discussion

Political > Suicide

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Debate

message 2: by Hanna[h] (new)

Hanna[h] Cumberbatch (andthetheyburiedmemummble) | 299 comments Yay!

message 3: by Liv (last edited Jun 04, 2012 05:28PM) (new)

Liv (osf1998) You don't think it's weird you just said "Yay!" as your first comment on a SUICIDE topic? Like, "Yay! Suicide?"
O_o

message 4: by Hanna[h] (new)

Hanna[h] Cumberbatch (andthetheyburiedmemummble) | 299 comments I was saying Yay, because you let us debate on it -.- but idk what else to post so I'm gonna wait for everyoe else.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Suicide is a really deep and emotional topic, and I think most the the world has had that horrid option cross their minds at least once (if not, good job).

I really think that the person just needs friends to support them. I know that would be my first option. I'm not always that open to my parents, and whenever they come to me thinking I'm depressed, I just shut them down and just say I've been tired lately. With my friends (especially internet friends) I open up a bit more.

I've only faced one major fear my whole life; I'm afraid that I'm going to be a failure. That I'll never get my dream job, and end up going to a crappy college. But I try to not let that bother me. It only puts me down for a day or two, but after that I'm like, "screw depression; I'm awesome!" and it really helps. Also having hobbies, positive hobbies, has helped me. I'm really into art, and the My Little Pony series (deal with it) and its had a really positive impact on me.

Even just being into a tv show and being a part of its fanbase can really just help you... be happy. ^_^

message 6: by Hanna[h] (new)

Hanna[h] Cumberbatch (andthetheyburiedmemummble) | 299 comments Lol xD I like unicorns... My friend had a coloring boon for My little ponies and she gave me some with the unicorns on it xD

And I know what you mean, my parents don't know as much as my siblings, and they don't know as much as my friends in real life, and they don't know as much as my friends online, well on here. I personaly feel like if I kind of know you, I can tell you more, as opposed to someone that I'm really close to, as long as you don't know people that I'm close to. Does that make sense? Like I always feel like I'm a failure too, just in everything. And the reason why I tell people that I don't know as well- as opposed to family and close friends- is because I feel like if they turn me down, I can always just stop talking to them after that, get over it. With family and friends, they would tell someone, and I just personaly don't want to take that risk.

I've never thought about commuting suicide, except once, like a month ago. I felt very pathetic and worthless, which I'm sure is how everyone feels when they think about killing themselves- but then the next day I sort of felt better. That's why I get really angry when people say "you should just let them kill themselves, it's their body." No. NO human being is suicidal forever, eventually something comes along to carry them on in life. Unfortunatly, some people took the risk of killing themselves and succeeded, but I garantee you on my mothers life that eventually, that person would stop being suicidal, if they have survived all their attempts.

message 7: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS What exactly are we debating?

message 8: by Hanna[h] (new)

Hanna[h] Cumberbatch (andthetheyburiedmemummble) | 299 comments It's not really a debate, it's more of "what we can/should do to stop it, and if you think we should leave suicidal people alone" I'm just waiting for someone for me to disagree on :P

message 9: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS ...

I think, ultimately, it's their decision. It's their life. I'd they think it's not worth living, it's not my place to tell them anything. However, you shouldn't just do nothing. Especially if it's someone close to you, you should try to help them, but don't think that you can just change their decision. Trust me; people just don't become suicidal overnight. There are reasons.

message 10: by Hanna[h] (new)

Hanna[h] Cumberbatch (andthetheyburiedmemummble) | 299 comments Yes, but no one stays suicidal forever, so why let them kill themselves, when you know that eventually they will stop with those thoughts? Maybe not overnight, but soon. If I saw a stranger infront of me about to commite suicide, I would personally stop them, then try to get to know them, so they can know that someone out there DOES care, even of you havnt met them yet...

message 11: by Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ (last edited Jun 06, 2012 06:08PM) (new)

Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ | 394 comments I think the best thing to do if someone becomes suicidal is simply to show them that you care. A lot of times all that person needs is the love and support of family and friends.

message 12: by Hanna[h] (new)

Hanna[h] Cumberbatch (andthetheyburiedmemummble) | 299 comments Completly agree.

message 13: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS And Then They Buried Me*Mummble/Hana* wrote: "Yes, but no one stays suicidal forever, so why let them kill themselves, when you know that eventually they will stop with those thoughts? Maybe not overnight, but soon. If I saw a stranger infront..."

How would you know? Have you met all of the suicidal people in this world? Who are you to control their lives?

message 14: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Melissa Corn wrote: "I think the best thing to do if someone becomes suicidal is simply to show them that you care. A lot of times all that person needs is the love and support of family and friends."

Yes. See?

but make it illegal? That's terrible.

message 15: by Hanna[h] (new)

Hanna[h] Cumberbatch (andthetheyburiedmemummble) | 299 comments No, but it's common sense LB. if someone was suicidal forever, they would constantly try to kill themselves, and if a person survives all their attempts, they WILL eventually get tired of it and stop it.

message 16: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS I don't understand that logic..l

message 17: by Hanna[h] (new)

Hanna[h] Cumberbatch (andthetheyburiedmemummble) | 299 comments Ok, just think of an anorexia girl. Of she constantly is trying to loose weight, even though if anything she is under weight, and her family and friends try stopping her, but she keeps on trying, do you REALLY think that she'll be like that forever? Maybe, but again it's different to suicide. Suicide is death.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Um, yeah, she probably will be like that forever, because that's something way more serious. If anything, surviving their suicide attempts will make them want to kill themselves MORE. Even if they did survive, are you saying we should just let them because they'll "stop eventually"?

Depression is much more serious, and you don't just "get bored of it". It goes on throughout your life constantly if you truly have it, it's an on and off thing.

message 19: by Hanna[h] (new)

Hanna[h] Cumberbatch (andthetheyburiedmemummble) | 299 comments I know that, but you can't say that everything lasts forever.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

That's only with small things. Like I said, suicide is more of a mental state of mind rather than a physical object. Something that's mental can last as long as you want; as long as you keep pouring gasoline onto the fire.

message 21: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS And Then They Buried Me*Mummble/Hana* wrote: "Ok, just think of an anorexia girl. Of she constantly is trying to loose weight, even though if anything she is under weight, and her family and friends try stopping her, but she keeps on trying, d..."

You can't compare two things and then say they are too different?!? That makes everything confusing!

message 22: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS And Then They Buried Me*Mummble/Hana* wrote: "I know that, but you can't say that everything lasts forever."

Yeah, but you can't say you'll get bored of everything and eventually stop. Life doesn't work like that. I wish it did, but it doesn't.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

As someone who's been there and knows what it feels like, I can understand that feeling of helplessness that would push someone to such an extreme as to kill themselves. I think that what some people don't understand is just how much you have to be stripped of everything you love to want to kill yourself. It is NOT something you just come up with, it pops up in your mind and slowly, slowly you start to consider it an option, but it is a terribly hard decision to make. I speak for myself when I say this, but when i was suicidal, I felt like I was always someone's rebound. All I wanted was for someone to love me genuinely, ONE person I could tell things to, smile with...

Also, another aspect of this that we could present would be the taboo surrounding this subject in society. I know that at school, if someone is even remotely low-looking or depressed-looking they will get picked on so badly... what is wrong with people?? You have absolutely no idea what they are up against elsewhere yet you still choose to make it worst for them for your own entertainment... (ex: I had to deal with an alcoholic mother, my sister who was a complete mess, a father who was never home on top of ALL domestic duties, I was the one keeping my family afloat and word got out and i was ridiculized for it, to the point where i was SCARED to go to school.) I think that teens especially should be more educated about the subject in order to be more open, acceptant and helpful towards their peers

message 24: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Okay, mods, can you please clarify what we are debating about? I know its suicide, but what about it? Are we just sharing our views and personal stories or what??

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I have heard stories about kids that have tried or have committed suicide maybe because they have had a troubled past??

message 26: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Arnold (nahteeraisamanthaarnold) I think it's their choice. I mean it really is their life. But I also don't like suicide, because they'd be ending their life and causing pain to their loved ones and just making everyone they knew sad. Their lives could be completely messed up and they're depressed and can't find any hope. Maybe they did try to fix it. Maybe they did try to talk to someone about it, but those people just didn't understand. So, they saw that their only way to make it stop was to end their lives. Though their could be others who didn't even try to fix their lives. Those ones really just piss me off. Not that the other ones don't. I still get sad and annoyed and mad at them for not trying harder or giving up on trying. I'm sure the pain and stuff would eventually pass. However, like I said in the beginning it is their lives and so it's their decision.

message 27: by Hanna[h] (new)

Hanna[h] Cumberbatch (andthetheyburiedmemummble) | 299 comments Hey guys..... I just wanted to say that I'm never gonna try debating here, cuz I moved on and I tried to be more peaceful <3 (yeah yeah laugh it up guys, I know I'm still pretty pessimistic) if you honestly want to know more though, about suicide and quotes and motivational stuff like that, follow me on Instagram @MummbleGoesRawr

Peace, star children .___.

Apps *ąþþℓεş щïŧɧ şþℓεεŋ ïş şҩųïşɧγ* (appsl) | 11 comments Whoohoo!! Suicide!!
No, I'm not getting excited about suicide.

Well, suicide is unique to humans. Animals kill, murder even but not suicide. I think the human society's been damping down on all the animal instincts in humans that they've actually lost the instinct for self-preservation.

Why does someone suicide?? very often because of a psychological problem - which can't be helped- and the other because they just think life's too hard. you know this reminds of this song's lyrics that says something along the lines of 'life's hard, and if you think it's easy, you're living it wrong.' Also this reminds me of the book '13 reasons why' (which I thought was a little dumb, even though it was compelling) So, people suicide because they think they can't get through. Everyone has hard times, if you can't handle it...well, sorry we couldn't organize a pity party for you. But there are cases where they have been under extreme pressure, like all the people telling then they're better off dead and cursing them and stuff, which I think is verry wrong.

(I wonder why I'm thinking about Hitler as I write this)

message 29: by Yuman (last edited Jul 31, 2012 08:13AM) (new)

Yuman (yumnaep) | 590 comments i think ppl who do suicide just feel as though nothing good can be gained anymore in this world. and that no one's there for them. isn't that it?-- that they lose hope? which is why they kill themselves. most ppl who commit suicide are depressed.

the strangest cases. the popular girl full of blithe spirit does suicide. nobody knew that she felt no one cared. that's a true story from a book called Dear Bully: 70 Authors Tell Their Tales

message 30: by Yuman (new)

Yuman (yumnaep) | 590 comments Melissa Corn wrote: "I think the best thing to do if someone becomes suicidal is simply to show them that you care. A lot of times all that person needs is the love and support of family and friends."

definitely

Apps *ąþþℓεş щïŧɧ şþℓεεŋ ïş şҩųïşɧγ* (appsl) | 11 comments True enough yumma. Hard time teach you a lot. I've had a similar experience, though it was a little different. I just felt overwhelmed cuz of everyone's expectations with me and then I made a couple of mistakes and I just wanted to get away from everything. Fortunately I was wayyy too young to device a workable suicide plan.

message 32: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) luhvBOOKS *~Forever a Directioner~* wrote: "Okay, mods, can you please clarify what we are debating about? I know its suicide, but what about it? Are we just sharing our views and personal stories or what??"

I don't know. Everyone wanted a suicide topic made. I didn't. But I was forced to make one, so here it is.

Have fun

message 33: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) The only cure for suicide is love.

With all this hate going around, especially around homosexual relationships, it's sad to see people who preach "love" then turn around and say that two people of the same gender shouldn't love eachother, on principle.

I am NOT talking about anyone here.

But really, the only way to stop most cases depression and most suicidal folks (I should know. It's been in my family, and it's been in me before) is to love them.

Society should be so much more accepting these days, but it really isn't much better.
While hate crimes have gone down, racial, sexual and religious bullying still exists.

Why can't everyone just respect eachother?

message 34: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Arnold (nahteeraisamanthaarnold) Libby wrote: "The only cure for suicide is love.

With all this hate going around, especially around homosexual relationships, it's sad to see people who preach "love" then turn around and say that two people of..."

I totally agree. Love is the only cure.

message 35: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Okaaay?

message 36: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) What else do you want me to say?

"The only cure for suicide is hating on the people more and more and more. Duhhhh"

I mean really. This isn't a debatable topic.

message 37: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Samantha wrote: "Libby wrote: "The only cure for suicide is love.

With all this hate going around, especially around homosexual relationships, it's sad to see people who preach "love" then turn around and say that..."

Apps *ąþþℓεş щïŧɧ şþℓεεŋ ïş şҩųïşɧγ* (appsl) | 11 comments Okay then!! I'll play the Devil's Advocate!!

I actually do (not) think that suicide is not a such a bad thing. I mean, if the person doesn't want to live, then he shouldn't be forced to! It's his choice. Also, saying people should be more kind to then is not right. If this person can't take it then why bother. He wasn't strong enough so he's better off dead. If they're happier dead, then I don't think we should really stop them and force them to continue on. Sometimes, a person just gets tired with life!

message 39: by Yuman (new)

Yuman (yumnaep) | 590 comments whoa..... low whistle

message 41: by Yuman (last edited Aug 04, 2012 06:17PM) (new)

Yuman (yumnaep) | 590 comments your Devil's Advocate Speech is pretty passionate and apt.

Melissa Corn ~bubbles bubbles bubbles~ | 394 comments I'm terrible at being the Devil's Advocate. It usually becomes obvious that I don't believe what I am saying.

message 43: by Yuman (new)

Yuman (yumnaep) | 590 comments i want to see you be Devil's Advocate!!!

Apps *ąþþℓεş щïŧɧ şþℓεεŋ ïş şҩųïşɧγ* (appsl) | 11 comments lol, I'm usually the devil's advocate in most of the debates so I've got some experience.

@melissa: You should try it!! It's actually fun!!

message 45: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Yumna wrote: "your Devil's Advocate Speech is pretty passionate and apt."

It was good minus this part:

"Also, saying people should be more kind to then is not right. If this person can't take it then why bother. He wasn't strong enough so he's better off dead."

message 46: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) My uncle committed suicide, and my sister tried to.

Depression is a HORRIBLE thing. Sometimes, it's constant; perpetual. But also sometimes, it's transient. Those phases of depression are especially intense, culminating into the feeling of intense despair that made my sister want to end her life. It involves the terrible feeling of being unloved (of course, this is untrue, though.). As I said earlier, the only cure for suicide is love: without love, my sister might not be here today.

My uncle was loved, but he didn't feel it. He had more of a perpetual depression. He lived alone, my parents were just starting there lives together so my dad wasn't in contact that much with him to know about his pain, and his other two siblings were also consumed in life. So, this feeling of loneliness...the only cure for that, too, is love.

You must ALWAYS show a person love. Because no matter what, they will recover if the only understand they are wanted. NEVER GIVE UP ON ONE YOU LOVE.

message 47: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS I agree!

message 48: by Maya (new)

Maya  (mayaadorkable) | 5 comments Suicide starts when depression is rooted in someone . It's like a plant , u put the seed in and slow it will grow and sprout. depression can be hard to come out of but it is possible you just have fight everyday and surround yourself with positive environment .

My advice for the post above is get help go talk to a school counselor , talk to your parents , and make a goal on how to beat this . Some people don't admit if they are depressed because well we all think we won't ever be. But life happens.
Go do things you enjoy, get involved activities that will keep you busy but please get real professional help if that's possible. Write down your emotions keep a diary . Meditate .. I think it helps .
In life were thrown many challenges and you just have to get through them. Life is a test just hang in there.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

As someone who experiences depression often, I'm not very sure where I stand with suicide. Everyone says to talk to your counselor or something, but people don't seem to realize how bloody hard it is to do that. Not to mention a lot of cases of depression don't seem that serious. Take myself for example; I've never cut myself, or attempted suicide, but I've definitely thought about it. I always feel as though my case isn't serious because I don't have the guts to physically harm myself in any way. I still don't like talking about it, and I feel as though I'm handling it really well without any medications or anything.
Not to mention labels. Jesus, you tell one person you feel depressed and they just go away. It's a horridly awkward topic, and people always seemed concerned for you and think you're an emotional wreck. The other day we were reading Hamlet in English and the teacher asked what people were like who had depression (as Hamlet has it himself) and more than half the class responded with "insane" or "crazy". I just wanted to cry. We live in a society that shoves ideas down people's throats, and if anyone is slightly different, they're labeled an outcast.
As for suicide itself, I feel like that's just something other people should have to prevent, not the depressed person themselves. We keep telling people to go get help, but shouldn't help rather be offered? Shouldn't we be living in a world where suicide NEVER happens? It sickens me every time I hear of a suicide story, that we live in such an ignorant world.

message 50: by Julia (new)

Julia  (juliavdc) | 54 comments Kathy, please listen to me.
I know how you're feeling. Depression is a horrible thing, and sometimes suicide seems like the only way out. But please, I beg you, trust me- there ARE other ways.

Think about it- what will your family do? Imagine how sad they will be. How your parents will tear their hair out in grief. How your friends will sob for days. Do you want to leave them like that?

I don't want to turn on the news this weekend to hear that they found you dead.

I have to go right now, sadly- so please please please message me, and we can talk.
I will say more once I am done with my tennis lesson.

Please, hang in there- if not for yourself, then me, your family, and friends- and the world.
Because you are an AMAZING girl, and you only get one chance at life. Things get hard- so hang in ther e

« previous 1